window trim leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts
Default window trim leak

I give up, I know I've been wrong, but I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on here.

I recently bought a 2002 'S' in great shape. Fantastic car, but instead of hand washing it (limited by circumstances in an apartment complex, i.e. no hose) or always going to the self carwash, I've broken what I imagine is an unspoken rule and run it through the carwash (first Porsche, though I'm not new to the brand.) The first time, no trouble, the second time, the same, the third and fourth times however, disaster! Specifically my passenger's side has developed a leak under direct pressure. Water will stream in a steady trickle down the window on the inside where I frantically mop it up. This is towards the apex of the window, and usually in the same spot. Water seems to come in between two plastic components that conceal the workings of the top itself.

While I've learned my lesson about carwashes, I want to make sure if I'm ever caught in the rain I wont need to be carrying paper towels in the trunk. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Hi Tom! I promise I'm taking care of the car otherwise, honest!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
I give up, I know I've been wrong, but I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on here.

I recently bought a 2002 'S' in great shape. Fantastic car, but instead of hand washing it (limited by circumstances in an apartment complex, i.e. no hose) or always going to the self carwash, I've broken what I imagine is an unspoken rule and run it through the carwash (first Porsche, though I'm not new to the brand.) The first time, no trouble, the second time, the same, the third and fourth times however, disaster! Specifically my passenger's side has developed a leak under direct pressure. Water will stream in a steady trickle down the window on the inside where I frantically mop it up. This is towards the apex of the window, and usually in the same spot. Water seems to come in between two plastic components that conceal the workings of the top itself.

While I've learned my lesson about carwashes, I want to make sure if I'm ever caught in the rain I wont need to be carrying paper towels in the trunk. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Hi Tom! I promise I'm taking care of the car otherwise, honest!
While my 02 leaks a bit when I wash the car, leaks on the driver's side just about the point the top frame rail and the windshield frame meet, the leak is not bad though I avoid putting water hose spewing high pressure water right up against the glass.

Even at the DIY car wash I keep the wand maybe a foot away and there's just a trickle, a few drops.

I've never seen any signs of a water leak while driving the car in heavy rain or after the car's sat outside in heavy rain. While the car is moving, the cabin has a positive air pressure which I think works to help keep water from being pulled in or forced in past the seal. And with the car stationary there's just not anything to force the water past, up and past the glass and then down between the seal and the glass into the cabin.

What you can think about -- like I have but since the water doesn't come in while the car sits in or drive in the rain and the water only comes in a bit when I wash the car I never bothered -- is consider buying some small diameter rubber o-ring material and putting a length of this in the rubber strip.

That rubber strip, at least on my car, is open at the top, forms a 'U' shape. When the window closes it pushes against one leg of the 'U' and this effects (when it works right) a water and wind tight seal.

If a bit more seal pressure against the glass is needed tucking a length of a proper size o-ring at the bottom of the 'U' could open the 'U' up enough and improve the seal.

Easy does it. If you do this just use a large enough o-ring and just enough length to make the seal water tight. Sneak up on what works, IOWs.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Thank you for the response. I'll look into that. Another thing I'm planning on checking is the window height. According to Bentley's one can adjust the glass height and angle. Should also be a rather simple test to do. fingers crossed one of the ideas works! It is worth noting that in rainfall I don't have any trouble with leaks either, which I'm happy for, as it got caught in a sudden downpour yesterday.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
Thank you for the response. I'll look into that. Another thing I'm planning on checking is the window height. According to Bentley's one can adjust the glass height and angle.
Curious to know if this corrected the problem for you or not. I have a similar issue. Not sure if I should just order a new rubber seal or look in adjusting the window (however that is done...)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 AM
seandillon
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2002 S had a similar problem. Adjusting the window to seat higher into the top corrected the issue for me.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And what's wrong with carrying a roll of paper towels in the trunk? I have no leaks, but it's nice to be able to clean the winshield sometimes when I'm away from home. Paper towels - don't leave home without them!

Quick Reply: window trim leak