Sponsored by:

3 more IMS reports

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 more IMS reports

Here I go again, reporting some IMS issues. Did 3 more cars, One with no problems. one with the bearing seal starting to deteriorate and the bearing no longer turning smoothly (notchy) and one that failed completely.
The one without any problems was on 02 S with 65k on the clock, no visible signs of oil seepage or leaks, oil changed often, driven hard.
The second one with the seal and bearing on its way out was a 04 Carrera with 29k on the clock, oil seepage evident, both RMS and IMS were seeping, well taken care of and driven hard but not often.
The third in an 03 Boxster S with 145 k on the clock, lots of evidence of oil leaks, from all appearances was not treated well and I presume the oil was not changed regularly.
Attached Images    
Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yikes. Any data on 987s?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:21 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by harryrcb
Here I go again, reporting some IMS issues. Did 3 more cars, One with no problems. one with the bearing seal starting to deteriorate and the bearing no longer turning smoothly (notchy) and one that failed completely.
The one without any problems was on 02 S with 65k on the clock, no visible signs of oil seepage or leaks, oil changed often, driven hard.
The second one with the seal and bearing on its way out was a 04 Carrera with 29k on the clock, oil seepage evident, both RMS and IMS were seeping, well taken care of and driven hard but not often.
The third in an 03 Boxster S with 145 k on the clock, lots of evidence of oil leaks, from all appearances was not treated well and I presume the oil was not changed regularly.
just out of curiosity - did you see any newer post '06 cars with 'new' non-servicable bearing to have same/similar IMS issues?
Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

There must be some post '06 cars with problems else why would LN go to the expense of developing a replacement part. The reason you haven't seen many reports is so many of those cars have been mostly under warranty where Porsche replaces the engine and so owners are less likely to post. Just as happened with each generation of the bearing. It was only after owners were paying that the problems got publicity.

Having said that, I'm not sure I have seen a single report and I frequent probably 6 forums daily.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Well I managed to confirm there have been a few post-06 model IMS failures. No where near the number of prior year problems. And the price/availability from Porsche of the complete shaft/bearing is utterly amazing.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Well I managed to confirm there have been a few post-06 model IMS failures. No where near the number of prior year problems. And the price/availability from Porsche of the complete shaft/bearing is utterly amazing.
Utterly amazing good or utterly amazing bad??

Quick Reply: 3 more IMS reports