Sponsored by:

Waterpump replaced, now overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 PM
deptotpr
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Waterpump replaced, now overheating issues

Just replaced my waterpump. $1025.00. Now my coolant drains, and the temp guage is flashing, than steady red light, as the temp guage reads at high temperatures. I returned it back at the shop today. I cannot wait for this estimate or diagnosis. I am hoping it was the pump of course... "Porsche..There is no substitute!"
The picture was taken when the waterpump failed.....

Last edited by deptotpr; 03-05-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:46 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not throwing stones at your shop but did they refill it with a vacuum lift tool?

The coolant refill procedure is not the most straight forward thing in these cars.

Absent the vac tool, you're doing about 3-4 heat/cool cycles waiting for the system to burp itself of air pockets and topping off the coolant tank.

Not uncommon for the coolant light to blink, or temp gauge to spike until the system is rid of all the air.

BD
Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 AM
jflash914
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a water pump fail in my 2002 Boxster and replaced it with a re manufactured pump supplied by Vertex. After about 500 miles, all of the sudden the temperature spiked to the max. I shut the car down immediately and had it towed back home. What I found out after removing the reman'd water pump was the impeller was loose on the shaft. The design of these water pumps are poor to say the least. The impeller is pressed onto the shaft with no splines or pinned. It relies only on a interference fit which is pretty lame. I installed a new pump and so far no problems.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:53 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only ever install the in-a-Porsche box water pump.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:18 PM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

As GMS said. The only reliable water pump (and expansion tank for that matter) are the Original Porsche factory parts in the Porsche box. Do not install OEM as they don't last.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Netsrac67
Track Day

I also had my water-pump go, and the independent shop told me that he would not install anything other than OEM Porsche parts. Which I had no problem with.

I had my belt and Thermo changed at the same time, as this is recommended. My total was $1,065 CDN

Which would have been a lot more at a Porsche dealer who charges $120 per hour.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 PM
deptotpr
Racer

Picked it up today after install of new thermostat, and engine cooling fan resister, as only one fan was working. Hope I am good for awhile!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Radiator fan problay will not cause your symptoms, and Ive never seen a stuck closed tstat on a 9x6 car, sounds like the shop improperly filled your cooling system.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
Radiator fan problay will not cause your symptoms, and Ive never seen a stuck closed tstat on a 9x6 car, sounds like the shop improperly filled your cooling system.
Agree. In both of my cars at one time or another one radiator fan has quit working and in both cases no overheating of any kind took place.

In both cases it was the diminished fan noise -- rather subtle too -- that gave me a clue and prompted me to verify both fans were running and finding one fan -- both passenger side fans -- not running.

In the case of the Boxster it was a resistor. The techs tell me these are located in a bad spot and water splash from driving through a puddle can douse the hot component with water and over time this can cause it to fail.

In the case of the Turbo, the fan was found to be not running because the shaft of the motor had snapped in two and the fan hub/blade assembly of course was not turning. This assembly in fact had hit the back of the radiator and this dented -- but did not hole -- the back side of the radiator so both the electric fan motor, and some other related hardware/brackets along with the radiator were replaced, under CPO warranty thank goodness.

Oh, the tech told me he had never seen a fan motor fail like the Turbo fan motor failed.

If a t-stat is suspected of not opening as the engine idles and warm up a simple feel of the hoses that carry hot coolant to the radiators is all that is needed to verify coolant is flowing once of course it gets hot enough that the t-stat should be open.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Sky_racer
Intermediate

SIMPLE ADVISE: rely only on original porsche parts.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM
deptotpr
Racer

Thanks for all the input. I am still cleaning out the vasoline...
Old 08-08-2012, 04:22 PM
curt_928
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You got hosed. Get someone else to work on your car.

I did my waterpump last winter in the garage in 2 hours. $340 Laso OEM I think was the end cost. Granted my car didn't overheat, it just started making noise so I replaced it before it really went. $1000+ AND they didn't replace the thermostat? Not cool.

Refill of the system isn't tricky at all. You flip the plastic on top of the coolant fill and add. Start up and add some more until filled. Drive some and then pop it up to let the air out. Done. I even reused my coolant.

Quick Reply: Waterpump replaced, now overheating issues