Serpentine belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ep3_lol
I'm no rubber expert, but I would expect that the belt's material is susceptible to rot like other similar materials.
true. and heat, and weather conditions and etc...
Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
In addition to the 60k recomended is there a time limit as well?
I only have 30k on my '03 and was wondering about it.
Just consulted one reference and found nothing about a belt replacement based on time, but that's just one (and not a very complete) reference.

You should have the car's owners manual and its service/maintenance section should cover belt replacement. I'm sure there's a replacement based on miles and if there's a replacement that is time based it will be given in the 2 year, 4 year, 6 year, 8 year, etc. table.

Without going to the trouble to look through my other references my WAG is like tires which are considered (by Porsche) due to be replaced after 6 years the rubber belt has a finite life and the belt is going on 9 years old is I would have to say is close to the end of its service lfe.

My point of view is I see no reason to tempt fate and risk having the thing fail and of course at the most inopportune time.

For example: My VW Golf lost a V-belt on I-40 just outside of Albuquerque NM and while I managed to limp into town and even made it to the dealer it was just before Xmas and I spent several days at a cheap motel with no rental car and just a crummy coffee shop nearby for meals before the dealer opened and I got my car in for repair and found a rental car agency with a spare rental vehicle (the last one due to the holiday demand, a large pickup and a gas hog) with which I could use to continue my Xmas vacation road trip. And I do not want to even recall how the VW dealer gouged me on the parts cost to "expedite" the parts. Had I not paid the car would probably stilll be in the shop waiting for a new belt, alternator and other things the belt when it let go took with it.

Anyhow, my thinking would be after 9 years in service you have gotten your money's worth and while it is up to you my advice would be to replace the belt.

Sincerely,

Macster

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt replacement