Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Purchase Opinions??

I am thinking about soon purchasing....
This- http://www.m2performance.net/index.p...st-system.html

This- http://www.m2performance.net/index.p...l-headers.html

And This- http://www.topspeedauto.com/ProductC...idproduct=2843

For my 986 Boxster.
I was just wondering if you guys have any objections and reasons why I should/ should not purchase these items.
Thanks!!
Micah

Last edited by FrostyNothing; 01-06-2013 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Format
Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 AM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No objection, IMNSHO, poor use of money

You will get a) a new SS exhaust (good); more noise (fun, can be objectionable day to day); and very little performance benefit. Plus, any performance benefit you do get will generally be a shift of torque from down low where you use it, to up high where you use it only occasionally (like those few extra MPH on the front straight).

You choose. I'd put my money elsewhere (tires, techno-torque, suspension, seats...)

or driving school

Grant

Originally Posted by FrostyNothing
I am thinking about soon purchasing....
This- http://www.m2performance.net/index.p...st-system.html

This- http://www.m2performance.net/index.p...l-headers.html

And This- http://www.topspeedauto.com/ProductC...idproduct=2843

For my 986 Boxster.
I was just wondering if you guys have any objections and reasons why I should/ should not purchase these items.
Thanks!!
Micah
Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I agree with GFL with the exception of the test pipes, they are a good mod with no downside. Once you have them installed you can choose if you want louder. IF you do change the muffler expect resonance at cruising speed.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
I agree with GFL with the exception of the test pipes, they are a good mod with no downside. Once you have them installed you can choose if you want louder. IF you do change the muffler expect resonance at cruising speed.
I agree with the above. I did the bypass test pipes a couple of months ago and got a slight bump in performance and a slightly louder growl which my wife actually likes. Of course no CEL or problems passing inspection.

The other thing I've done is upgrade the suspension to ROW MO30 specs and the car behaves fantastically.

I would also strongly recommend professional driving instruction. It made my performance increase dramatically...
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM
FrostyNothing
Advanced

On what model did you do the test pipes to?? Did you keep the stock muffler??
Also, gfl, i would put suspension, tires, or seats but i'm happy with all 3 on my car. It has brand new Eagle GT tires. My seats are great. An i don't see anything wrong with the suspension.
Thanks,
Micah
Old 01-06-2013, 04:04 PM
gfl
Racer

Default That's great, but it seemed....

... that you were trying to enhance the performance of the car.

Unless i missed something there's nothing wrong with your exhaust either. My point is that if you begin to push the envelope, changes to seats (to hold you in place); suspension (to improve transient response), and tires (to trade off ride for more grip at the limit) all return very high results - while the exhaust is mostly aural bling.

Note that all those mods also cost you in some way - rougher ride; less adjustable seating, and faster tire wear. but that's the price of real performance.

Incidentally, eagle GT tires are 30 year old technology and really awful. I didn't even know they made them in our sizes...

It all depends on one's standards and what we want our cars to do. I agree that for most normal street driving the stock car is great. I ran min ob the track for years with only different pads and brake fluid. But then why mess with the exhaust....?

Grant

On what model did you do the test pipes to?? Did you keep the stock muffler??
Also, gfl, i would put suspension, tires, or seats but i'm happy with all 3 on my car. It has brand new Eagle GT tires. My seats are great. An i don't see anything wrong with the suspension.
Thanks,
Micah
Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 PM
FrostyNothing
Advanced

The main thing I want the exhaust system to do for me is perform better and allow for the car to be louder. I am a big sports car guy and the oem exhaust is just too quiet for me. I also bought the car with the Eagle GT tires. The previous owner bought them right before the sale.
Bottom line i want the car to be louder and allow for a little better performance.
Thanks,
Micah
Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 PM
gfl
Racer

Default In that case, have you considered...

...something simpler and cheaper? The "Pedro Sport Exhaust" whcih is in fact simply a mode to your current system. It has some advantages - much cheaper, guaranteed fit, and can be made so that it is either stock or sport.

pedrosgarage.com
--> hacks

And for power that will be more substantial than the exhaust you note, his "techno-torque" kit, which actually does something?

no affiliation except that Pedro is a stand-up guy and an actual, degreed, engineer.

Grant

The main thing I want the exhaust system to do for me is perform better and allow for the car to be louder. I am a big sports car guy and the oem exhaust is just too quiet for me. I also bought the car with the Eagle GT tires. The previous owner bought them right before the sale.
Bottom line i want the car to be louder and allow for a little better performance.
Thanks,
Micah
Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

You may note that one of the best engines for performance guys buys cars with blown motors, rebuilds the motors with increased displacement etc but does not touch the exhaust system. His dynos (plural, he has 2) and track runs found it wasn't a limiting factor.

Your ears have only so many vibrations in them, use them well.

Quick Reply: Future Purchase Opinions??