Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Removal with no power to the seat...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM
cartopics
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Removal with no power to the seat...

Has anyone attempted to remove the driver seat with no power to it? The seat is all the way back, so I can get to the 2 front Torx screws - but not the back. Is there a way to move it forward or UP?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Just to make sure I can't give a step by step, this is a full power seat?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 AM
cartopics
4th Gear

Yes. Power seat. The Passenger side is fully functional, Driver side does Nothing. It is stuck in the far back position with access to the front 2 bolts. The Relay/Module/control unit under the Driver seat CLICKS when any of the adjustment buttons is depressed.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:40 AM
saline
Advanced

I've got the same problem, but none of the controls work. No sound or anything. Checked the fuse, no luck. I read someplace that there was an Allen screw to manually move it, but can't find it. I have 2004 911 turbo cab.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:05 AM
link16
3rd Gear

Depending on what is wrong with your seat. You could try 2 ways:

Jump the power connector and use the motor to move the seat forward. This is as simple as getting a spare 12v battery or using jumping cables to small wire leads w/ alligator clips.

The second and more desparate idea would be to find where the rear bolts come through the floor boards and drill them out from the under side. Start with a center punch, then start with a small drill bit and plenty of cutting oil (atf will work in a pinch) keep getting bigger until you are just inside the threads, pull up on the seat with a nice jerking motion, and it should break free. then dig the leftover threads out of the holes left behind and repair the seat and reinstall.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Curious about this since I have full power seats in my 996 Turbo I asked the techs how they work on the seats that don't work and a tech told me they disconnect the drive motor and use an electric drill to spin the seat drive and move the seat to a position where the bolts are accessible.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:18 AM
evifenocvt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've done this many times in BMW's and im sure its the same for porsche. pull the seat bottom off and access the drive motor. disengage the gear/ assembly and you can turn the gears over by hand or as macster said.

Quick Reply: Seat Removal with no power to the seat...