Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 PM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeBat
Here are some pro's....

great steering feel, great turn in.
mechanical sounds are almost exotic
lots of trunk space for groceries and shopping, just not stopping over at Home Depot
enough interior space for me, and I am 6'2" 210lbs

Things to think about:
2003 and later have glass rear windows which will be easier on maintenance.
Have the IMS Guardian installed.

Besides that....it's all gravy
sounds good to me!

i can always ride the bus to work if i need to....
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

DD's my 00 S until wife asked my to get 4 seats (kids and sports!)

But plenty of storage space. Heck even HD is possible with the top down and
a little creativity :-)

M
Old 04-30-2013, 03:19 PM
ducbil
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '99 has been my DD for 10 years and 121k miles. It still is. Looking to do an IMS this year, though.

I still love it.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I drivce mine in the snow regularly.

Originally Posted by c4speedster996
If you don't have to drive in snow, and don't need to drive anyone other than you and one passenger. They are great cars. I'd go 2005 and up, and shoot for an s model.
With 4 snows, its pretty acceptable.

For a DD i'd actually avoid the S model. It gets better fuel economy and aside from a torque surge, you cant practically use the power you have. I have both BTW. A 986 2.7 5-sp DD and a 3.2 6-sp S track car in the making. Right now its more my DD until the transformation is complete.

Post 2006 987s have bigger, better IMSs, and the latest DFI cars have no IMS at all, so they are a bit better. Aside from that, i'd go for an older 986 because its vastly cheaper and mostly the same (as a car, yea, the interior got an upgrade).

I happen to think with 2 trunks, excellent reliability (for me so far), tons of fun, fuel economy (5-sp, smaller motor) they are great commuter cars.

Grant
Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Brockmeister
Intermediate

I bought a '99 986 in July of 2011. It had 66k on the odometer. At 72k, I replaced the clutch and IMS bearing. I have put on 20k miles on it and it drives great. I also have another car that I drive in the snow.
I too had a '85.5, '86, and '88 944. I also got tired of working on them, that's why I moved up to the Boxster. The daily commute is more comfy, but the manual trans in stop & go traffic on the beltway can be a PITA.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:28 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think any Porsche not under warranty is a good daily driver unless you live in San Diego or some similar perfect weather area.
See I only drive weekends but still manage about 9-12K miles a year. Now even though my car has mostly been garage kept the long-term cost of repairs and maintenance is nothing to take lightly.
I've had more than a couple of trips for repairs/and service that ran $4K to $5K. Granted, many of these were a long time coming and the car was nearly trouble free for the first 70K miles are so. But then it all started coming up in costly waves. In retrospect I probably should have gotten a second car, maybe a Wrangler, yes even though I only drive a couple of days a week. Winter driving was the thing that speeded up wear and tear in a hurry. The roads take a real beating during those months and the Boxster needs nice smooth roads like you have in Germany where the blacktop is poured really deep and isn't littered with suspension-breaking, wheel-benidng, pot holes. And the freezing cold starts after many years also don't help matters.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Marcelo Alvarez
2nd Gear

My 2001 Boxster has been my daily driver since new, never a problem until 57K air oil separator and 60K AC acting up. Great car will never sell it.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see it from both perspectives, enjoying a Boxster daily, especially in a place like San Diego would be sweet. For me, particularly with the Spyder, I prefer to use it as a babied toy for mind clearing runs into the woods only miles away. This might be a little car OCD but I would get so pissed getting the inevitable door dings from DD use that I would end up wanting a second, pristine Porsche and we all know what that's going to do to the budget! Having one awesome car means one can have a practical DD like my 4WD that can also carry items needed in ongoing home maintenance.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:31 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had one as a DD for nearly 5 years. it was great! I ran it from 52k to 108k or so. If there is too much snow I drove the pickup.
I am doing the same with a Turbo now. Life is short. I have a 2 year old and he rides in the back. I now go a month between car washes ! I used to wash my 944 every week or more. life changes.

get one and drive the wheels off it. I still miss the sound of my Boxster.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Kessler
2nd Gear

I've been DD'ing mine for a fair while now, no problems at all. And that's in the lousy British climate with salted rutted roads. I think they are a fantastically practical daily car.

Quick Reply: is a boxster a sane choice for a DD?