Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is a boxster a sane choice for a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 03:57 PM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is a boxster a sane choice for a DD?

i need a new daily driver. i currently own an 85.5 944 and it's a bit silly to drive every day, as it needs constant attention to keep it from disintegrating. it's been quite a money pit

im looking at a bunch of different options such as a mazda mx-5, mini cooper s, and i'm throwing an early boxster into the running.

would this be a sane car to use as a DD? it can't be as needy as a 944... right?

my commute to work is very short. under 10 minutes, so i wouldn't be putting many miles on it
Old 04-27-2013, 04:14 PM
c4speedster996
Track Day

Default boxster

If you don't have to drive in snow, and don't need to drive anyone other than you and one passenger. They are great cars. I'd go 2005 and up, and shoot for an s model.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:52 PM
DMB14
Racer

Originally Posted by c4speedster996
If you don't have to drive in snow, and don't need to drive anyone other than you and one passenger. They are great cars. I'd go 2005 and up, and shoot for an s model.
987 would be out of my price range at this juncture.

i'm sure a boxster equipped with ABS can't be worse in the snow than a 944, and the back seats in a 944 are useless anyway. what are the major things i should look out for when shopping for a 986?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 PM
recycled sixties
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my 2001 Boxster base 2 years and have driven it year round. I am retired so I pick and choose the days I drive it. It has 5 inches of clearance for snow so I drive up to about 3 inches of snow. It has no psm but has abs. It is twitchy on acceleration even with snow tires(they are a must even in winter). I have never been stuck in snow in winter. My previous Miata I had been stuck in snow twice.

Short trips are not really good for the engine/ims but you will find an excuse to do longer trips. Ims can be an issue. I have had the IMS Guardian installed as a forewarner of ims fail.

PPI is a must before purchase. Check all warning lites work before starting engine.
It is a great car but I cannot run it for the cost of running a Miata. If u do your own wrenching you can save much $$$$. Plan on spending about $2k a year average to keep a Boxster on the road. Way more fun than my previous Miata. Check Boxster options like heated seats, psm, manual vs. tiptronic(I like manual trans.). MY Box had 30k miles on it when I bought it - now 41k miles. Have had cv joints done, ims guardian installed. Cheers!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Drove it as a daily driver in all except snow. Very reliable and economical over 5 years. But when something does go wrong, it can be expensive. Most can be handled by you or a typical mechanic. But diagnosis of deep problems will involve Porsche specific test equipment beyond your normal OBD2 reader.

Owned 2 in Northern VA. Only sold when I aged out and moved to a community where we use golf carts to get around. But while I owned it, I'd take the longest windiest road to get a dozen eggs for the wife and never complain when it wasn't the only thing she needed and I needed to go again.

Lots of buying info, best and worst, etc info here.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:50 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've driven my 2003 boxster S daily snow & rain included for the last 3 years 30k+ miles. They are tremendously well build and reliable. I have 3 sets of wheels & tires for mine: summer, winter & track!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DD 70k miles in 4 years. unless snow is forecast, then i take the truck...
Old 04-28-2013, 09:44 AM
DMB14
Racer

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Drove it as a daily driver in all except snow. Very reliable and economical over 5 years. But when something does go wrong, it can be expensive. Most can be handled by you or a typical mechanic. But diagnosis of deep problems will involve Porsche specific test equipment beyond your normal OBD2 reader.

Owned 2 in Northern VA. Only sold when I aged out and moved to a community where we use golf carts to get around. But while I owned it, I'd take the longest windiest road to get a dozen eggs for the wife and never complain when it wasn't the only thing she needed and I needed to go again.

Lots of buying info, best and worst, etc info here.
I'm about to move from NoVA to MD. I was considering something with AWD, but I'm not sure it snows enough here to justify it...

Does $2k/year seem accurate as far as maintenance costs are concerned? That's prob about what my 944 has cost, and I figured the Boxster was a lot more modern..

I won't have the space or equipment necessary to do my own wrenching, but I have found a great mechanic
Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Joe-B
Track Day

$2000/year sounds like a lot for maintenance. Oil and filter changes should only come to a couple hundred. Now if you're including repair, it's a crap shoot. Anywhere from $0 to a lot (if you need a new motor due to IMS failure). Boxsters with proper tires work fine in snow for a rear wheel drive car (within reason).
Old 04-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

IMHO, I would not use a Boxster as a DD for such a short commute. There are about 10 quarts of oil that need to be heated up. In all likelihood, the engine won't get completely heated up by the time you get to work.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 PM
DMB14
Racer

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
IMHO, I would not use a Boxster as a DD for such a short commute. There are about 10 quarts of oil that need to be heated up. In all likelihood, the engine won't get completely heated up by the time you get to work.
Well... so much for being excited about the short commute
Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 PM
recycled sixties
Advanced

What he is saying is that the short commute is not ideal for the engine as the engine should be warmed up to reduce wear and tear on the engine inclusive of the ims. The likelihood of ims failure is increased with short trips. However once you get the taste of a Boxster you will find an excuse to take the long way round to get to work. Plus take it for a longer drive every 2 or 3 days. Only you can make that decision!Ims Guardian I recommend highly.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Where in Md?

In Oakton, Va I recall drifts over my house once so yes it can. Other years I'd only see one day where there would be ice or snow. But I'll also confess I bought a 4WD SUV before the Porsche just to be sure I could get to work and so I could hibernate the Boxster.

Now in my youth, I used to run around DC in an Alfa roadster and this was without snow tires. And really young I recall walking home from school in 12" snow. Now in the extremes, would even a SUV with all-seasons be enough? And the answer is no, not with the local snow clearing equipment. And, while I did drive the Boxster in snow (bought it with about 8" on the ground, best time to buy) I'd caution you to have at least all-seasons on in the cold. I totaled my first Boxster because I didn't.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 PM
DMB14
Racer

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Where in Md?

In Oakton, Va I recall drifts over my house once so yes it can. Other years I'd only see one day where there would be ice or snow. But I'll also confess I bought a 4WD SUV before the Porsche just to be sure I could get to work and so I could hibernate the Boxster.

Now in my youth, I used to run around DC in an Alfa roadster and this was without snow tires. And really young I recall walking home from school in 12" snow. Now in the extremes, would even a SUV with all-seasons be enough? And the answer is no, not with the local snow clearing equipment. And, while I did drive the Boxster in snow (bought it with about 8" on the ground, best time to buy) I'd caution you to have at least all-seasons on in the cold. I totaled my first Boxster because I didn't.
frederick, md.

a subaru wrx is another car that i was looking at. i must say though, i would rather have a boxster
Old 04-29-2013, 03:38 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Here are some pro's....

great steering feel, great turn in.
mechanical sounds are almost exotic
lots of trunk space for groceries and shopping, just not stopping over at Home Depot
enough interior space for me, and I am 6'2" 210lbs

Things to think about:
2003 and later have glass rear windows which will be easier on maintenance.
Have the IMS Guardian installed.

Besides that....it's all gravy

Quick Reply: is a boxster a sane choice for a DD?