Sponsored by:

engine blower fan not kicking

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:42 PM
pedot986
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine blower fan not kicking

problem started last week when temp. red light blinking, coolant leaked, so i checked the water pump and there's some coolant stain underneath and it grinding noise, so just replaced a new water pump and thermostat. now when on idle noticed engine blower fan doesn't comes on at about 186 deg. ? but the two front blower fans comes on after a while. any tips on to how to check this engine blower fan???
Old 06-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by pedot986
problem started last week when temp. red light blinking, coolant leaked, so i checked the water pump and there's some coolant stain underneath and it grinding noise, so just replaced a new water pump and thermostat. now when on idle noticed engine blower fan doesn't comes on at about 186 deg. ? but the two front blower fans comes on after a while. any tips on to how to check this engine blower fan???
How do you know for sure the engine compartment purge fan is not working?

The engine compartment fan only comes on when the engine compartment gets hot. I do not know the temperature. I had thought based on some observations I made of the intake air temperature it was 135F but it may be more than that, it may even be 186F. But this is engine compartment air temperature not coolant temperature.

Regardless, I can't believe a valid test is letting the engine idle and deeming the fan defective if it doesn't come on even if the engine coolant gage indicates the engine is up to temp.

Check your owners manual for your car. I believe there is a section that covers the various warnings/failures that can be signaled by the coolant temp warning light. Engine compartment fan problems is included.

Even if you do not see the CEL on have you tried reading any error codes? My reference indicates in the event of a problem with the engine compartment purge fan end stage error code P1671 should be logged somewhere. Maybe. Maybe this is only readable via a PST2/PIWIS/PIWIS2 diagnostics computer?

Let's see... you replaced the water pump recently along with the t-stat. Double check the fan wiring to make sure the connector is secure and the temperature sensor -- wherever it is -- my references show it located somewhere in the middle of bank 1 (cylinders 1-3 which are located to the left side of the engine facing the accessory drive end of the engine). Maybe you upset the fan connector or the temp sensor?

Forgot to mention but check the fan fuse and I think it has a relay too. There should a diagram or a folder with a diagram in the lid that covers the fuse box. This might have the relay locations (relay box is IIRC above the fuse box under the dash) too.

Quick Reply: engine blower fan not kicking