Sponsored by:

Boxster 6 Speed Bites the Dust

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:05 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Boxster 6 Speed Bites the Dust

Well, it looks as though we have become one of the statistics on failures of the 6 speed transmission. The car has 80k miles on it and has been a reliable car. The car is driven hard, but has been maintained. At current mileage, we suddenly noted that there was grinding going into 2nd and 3rd gears, though the issue is much worse on 2nd gear. We are the third owner of this car, so lack the history on trans maintenance. Our guess is that fluid is original. Just not sure. So, we changed out the fluid and replaced it with OEM fluiid from Porsche.

Examination of the old fluid showed a lot of brass particles in the oil. No major pieces......just a lot of brass filings in the old fluid. Not much grease, so it would appear that the sealed bearings may still be sealed.

Since this failure seems to be the most common failure for these S transmissions, my question is about getting it rebuilt.

Who on the West Coast, does the most cost effective rebuild of the Boxster S 6-speed?
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, as a third owner, it's not transmission maintenance that is the issue. It's far more likely someone before you thought they knew how to shift but sucked at it. Shifting is like romance, everyone thinks they're great at it but most are not as good as their ego tells them. The first several years Fiat was first in the USA they had zero automatics. As such my brother and I taught many new buyers basic shifting. Most people suck at it. We used to laugh bout my sister, she let the clutch out so slow we called it her sanding wheel. Other times, I would see people hold a hill position by riding the clutch, like I said most people aren't that good at it. Your description sounds like toasted synchronizers. You might want to look for a low mileage wreck but then again you have another tranny with unknown history.

PS I'd rather replace the tranny than the motor, it's easier and you can pop a new clutch in and RMS while you're at it.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:13 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
IMO, as a third owner, it's not transmission maintenance that is the issue. It's far more likely someone before you thought they knew how to shift but sucked at it. Shifting is like romance, everyone thinks they're great at it but most are not as good as their ego tells them. The first several years Fiat was first in the USA they had zero automatics. As such my brother and I taught many new buyers basic shifting. Most people suck at it. We used to laugh bout my sister, she let the clutch out so slow we called it her sanding wheel. Other times, I would see people hold a hill position by riding the clutch, like I said most people aren't that good at it. Your description sounds like toasted synchronizers. You might want to look for a low mileage wreck but then again you have another tranny with unknown history.

PS I'd rather replace the tranny than the motor, it's easier and you can pop a new clutch in and RMS while you're at it.

WE just had the gearbox out of the car and did the LN IMS retrofit as "insurance". Now, that it is back on the road, the tranny gives up the ghost!

Still looking for recommendations on a cost effective transmission rebuilder in the western USA.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:32 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grab a copy of Excellence or just go to their website and scope out the vendors.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are out west look into g box in Colorado. I'm in Florida and lost a 6 speed and had Chilly Performance in Tampa rebuild it. Seemed straight forward and was on the range of 4k parts and labor.

Quick Reply: Boxster 6 Speed Bites the Dust