Sponsored by:

Odd tip behavior

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 PM
mackgoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd tip behavior

Over the last few days I've noted two changes to my 98 box tip behavior. One it seems to more frequently go into "kick down" mode in D and when it does there's no indication it base gone down a gear. Secondly I noticed yesterday when in manual and coming to a stop in 5th it will shift down on it's owns I come to a stop. When I start back up it will not shift back up I have to do that manually. Are these behaviors normal? Fluid was changed about a month ago.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No disrespect to whom ever did your fluid change, but the procedure for draining, fluid type, and (especially)refilling the Tip is quite specific. Additionally the Porsche specific filling tool and adapter are 'strongly' recommended.

You must top off the refill within a tight level range (with a 'MacGyver' dipstick IIRC) while the fluid is within a very narrow temperature reading. I would rather be water-boarded than undertake a Tip fluid change.

If the shop can't tell you what temperature they did the final fluid level check at, 30-40 deg C as measured with a PIWIS or Durametric, it's probably been Goober'd. Even dealers can make a mistake.

All that being said, it sounds like you are underfilled. Overfilling will blow the seals when it gets hot, resulting in a leak; or is it "LEAK!".

BD
Old 04-17-2014, 03:39 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

In auto or manual mode, the transmission will shift down to 2nd gear when you come to a stop. In manual you will, of course have to shift up manually but it will still shift on its own as you approach red line.

Quick Reply: Odd tip behavior