Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake pads

Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 PM
bhs282
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pads

I just replaced my front pads & my rear pads still have some life left. Is it all right to run different pads on the front than on the back?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bhs282
I just replaced my front pads & my rear pads still have some life left. Is it all right to run different pads on the front than on the back?
If the pads are correct for the car it is ok. That is I've never come across any caution from Porsche against doing this and I've done it -- often changing just the front pads -- and never had any issues. Seems like every time I buy pads I get a different brand though still the correct pad for the car.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:38 AM
bhs282
Track Day

Great, thanks for the info. We will see how it works at the track next weekend.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:12 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's be a bit more specific. You want similar friction properties front and rear. It may not matter (much) if fronts are new and rears are old, if they are the same pads, same manufacturer, same model/coefficient. If they are different, you can upset the braking balance - enabling either front or rear to lock (yes, your abs will partly to mostly save you, but it means compromised braking and some lockup on the track).

Finally, you want more than "some meat" for the track, unless you have track pads. Not only will they war frighteningly fast, but pad material is you insulator, protecting your fluid from boiling.

PCA DE rules are 50% or better. There is some room for interpretation based on pad material, driver level, etc.

Grant
Old 04-24-2014, 04:26 PM
bhs282
Track Day

Ok, so up front I put new Pagid Black RS 14 pads on and on the back I have my old Cool Carbon Performance pads with 60 % left. I have the rear Pagid pads on my work bench. Just wondering if I could get one more track event out of my old pads but, the last thing I want to do is sacrifice safety.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:30 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you want to look up the coefficient of friction vs temperature curves, i would not. Some experienced racers intentionally stagger pads, but they do it (supposedly) knowing what they are doing. I would never mix and match randomly.

Grant
Old 04-24-2014, 06:07 PM
bhs282
Track Day

Grant,
Thanks', I will take your advice & keep them the same, all of the way around.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bhs282
Grant,
Thanks', I will take your advice & keep them the same, all of the way around.
I think that's a good plan. I was responding in the context of stock pads which I have found via unscientific testing to have no issues when new front pads are installed with used rear pads -- but still with sufficient pad material left -- and vice versa.

But "racing" or high performance or special pads are a different thing altogether.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brake pads