Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Lightweight 986 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 08:58 AM
BBA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool. I have ambitions of a very similar project. I'm particularly curious what you end up doing with the top, as some variety of manual top conversion would definitely be part of my plan.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:34 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I'm wanting to do something similar with my car but am not nearly as far along. I want to do seats and a harness setup next, but I'm not sure if there's a good/safe way to get harnesses mounted properly with the stock roll protection. Did you look into that before deciding on a complete replacement?
Old 03-17-2015, 12:44 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Very good point !
My solution is to still use the base of the roll bar, that it is true, is to high up, but I made a "pull down", with rollers in order to have the best possible angle.
You can see many photos on my topic "Piwis reading, R1 and R2, then what ?"
Basically, I'm also slowly but surely modifying a 986 (S) to be a good track car. (Last track day, ..was two days ago !!)
Seats (Sparco) : done, harness (Schroth) : done, roll bar extension (Brey-Krause) : Done, ..but in a highly modified way ! (super fast to install or de-install AND bar is in the back of the hoop, instead of the front, to make it "OK" while driving in and out of the track, ..without helmet. Also, can keep OEM padding (safety again) as well as all wind stoppers (comfort). ..And : more to come for the roof solution ..that is cooking !
Old 03-17-2015, 08:47 PM
martsink
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Love what you are doing. I'm currently working on a similar budget project, keeping it as simple/lightweight as possible. I am putting in a V8, but its pretty much identical in weight to the 3.2L.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:17 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

@Martsink, last week, when I was at Markus Fry Racing, to solder the BK bar mountings, he had to move a Lexus IS, that externally was looking just like an normal Appliance (like all Lexus !! , ..but when he turned on the key, my ears got the noise of a very BIG machine !!
I asked "what's up under this hood, it do not smell like a Lexus ?".
Markus smiled, said nothing but just open the hood, and then, a 351 Chevy was in (all the) place, together with a huge Procharger. Or, more than 600 well hidden ponies on this place !
A V8 is always a very nice friend for a driver.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:12 AM
martsink
Instructor

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
@Martsink, last week, when I was at Markus Fry Racing, to solder the BK bar mountings, he had to move a Lexus IS, that externally was looking just like an normal Appliance (like all Lexus !! , ..but when he turned on the key, my ears got the noise of a very BIG machine !!
I asked "what's up under this hood, it do not smell like a Lexus ?".
Markus smiled, said nothing but just open the hood, and then, a 351 Chevy was in (all the) place, together with a huge Procharger. Or, more than 600 well hidden ponies on this place !
A V8 is always a very nice friend for a driver.
Haha thats awesome. I think for my next project I'm going to swap a V8 into a daily. Maybe an Audi A4 avant or something along those lines.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:36 PM
martsink
Instructor

Did you weld that roll bar yourself or is it an aftermarket part?

NM I just read through the thread and found my answer.

Last edited by martsink; 04-21-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:38 PM
GT3 CODE3 _ ER
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

What is the total weight of the car with driver after all the weight loss modifications?

Quick Reply: Another Lightweight 986 Build