Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 05:27 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I need a little help and don’t mean to complicate this issue much further. I’m not an expert so seeing the cam and lifter firsthand have imparted that the oil I’m using is not really protecting my engine at a level I would expect. Here are the details of the Boxster:
-Boxster non-S
-Three track events yearly for the past 6 years
-Daily Driver (8-9K miles yearly)
-Oil used for the first 6 years (Mobil Synthetic 0-40)
-Oil used for the past 4 years (Castrol Edge Synthetic 5-40) due to track events
I believe the Mobil and Castrol contain low zinc content (ZDDP). Any recommendations if I should continue using Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 or change to a different oil with a higher ZDDP content?
My mechanic recommends Mobil with an oil additive called RISLONE with higher zinc content. I hear MOTUL 8100 xcess 5-40 is a great oil with appropriate zinc content (whatever that means in volume) Thoughts?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The zinc issue has recently been covered on a geek site called "Bobistheoilguy" They have very deep knowledge of lubrication.Of course they know noting about Boxster engines so you'll need to do lots of work to come up with an intelligent answer -instead of the usual anecdotal chatter .
The short version(from that Forum-not me!) is that you can easily add too much zinc(!!) and Mobil 1 is probably the best compromise.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:32 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

So your saying despite tracking the Boxster I should go back to Mobil 0-40 and discontinue use of zinc additive. Forgot to mention I'm a Floridian. Hot and humid in this neck of the woods!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:42 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez
So your saying despite tracking the Boxster I should go back to Mobil 0-40 and discontinue use of zinc additive. Forgot to mention I'm a Floridian. Hot and humid in this neck of the woods!
Why additives? Just use a quality oil. And change often.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

I do agree using injector and oil cleaners caused lifters failure due to dirt clogging oil passages not allowing lifters to work properly.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:45 PM
DennisAN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a big fan of additives. Miata people use lots of Seafoam and it always causes them grief. Some put it in the air intake and it blows carbon off the valves and onto the O2 sensors, ruining them. The only additive I use is some Techron in the gas from time to time.

My theory is engine cleaning should be slow and gradual. Nothing is probably better than the new API-SN grade oils with their very improved detergent packages. These will slowly dissolve crud but not break off chunks of crud. But an oil will only hold so much dissolved crud, so to get it out you may have to change the oil frequently if you are trying to clean up an abused engine.

I bought a beater Miata with 141K miles that showed obvious signs of abuse. As a half-joke I put in 5W-30 Walmart regular SN oil and changed it at 2K mile intervals. After 3 of these oil changes the engine was running back to par. Any hydraulic lifter noise was gone, the oil consumption was down to around a quart in 3K miles, and the cylinder compression was back up to "standard". The SN detergent pack seemed to clean up the HLAs and the oil control rings.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:20 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fastidious maintenance is admirable but one must take care not to cross over to vehicle OCD. I wouldn't use Seafoam on my Husqvarna lawnmower. It's like that "marvel mystery oil" , unless you're fogging a boat engine for winter whaddya doin with a can of that? While you're at it please, please , please don't fix radiators with stop leak either....over and out.

If you want the internals clean there is no substitute for more frequent oil changes than the required interval. I throw out oil filters for the Porsche likely cleaner than what my Ford is currently running. It's nuts, they might have 1200 to 1800 in miles of filter usage on them. However, as others have noted putting the car away with clean Motul is a ritual and frankly very cheap insurance and an honest effort at longevity. The only other thing I do once a year is add Chevron Techron and the only reason I do that is I read a long time ago in a Porsche service bulletin that it was good practice.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

I admit that my OCD is what killed my lifter. No more additives for me... just semi-annual oil changes going forward. Glad I did not try these additives on my 997. That would have sucked big time!

Thanks everyone... lesson learned, no additives regular oil changes instead!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:15 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

The Boxster is running strong again after the lifter replacement. The engine ran like a top at Roebling, GA raceway. Back with my daily driver and the garage queen tucked away in the garage. Thanks all and happy motoring!!!!

Quick Reply: Lifter Issues