Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need Transmission help please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:27 PM
z851@yahoo.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need Transmission help please!!!!

OK I have a 2003 Boxster S. I noticed some tripping from under the car and saw I had a torn CV boot. Saw I decided to replace them. So, while in right there I also recall during my last DE the tranny was shifting kind of harder than usual, so I though I should change the fluid. When I pulled the plug (near the back of the trans.), nothing came out!!!!! This is really odd since the car does not leak any fluid. So I get my 101 book out and none of the pictures look like my tranny. So near the back of the trans. I see what looks like the fill port, but it is a 13 mm bolt that is about 1 1/2" long. I try to inject fluid through this hole and it goes in.....all 4 quarts!!!! So I decide to pull the drip pan off to get a better look at what is going on. I do see what could be a fill plug on the pass side near the top. I can't get any allen wrenches to fit so I used a pair of vice grips to remove the plug. When I got it out. It has what looks like a magnetic end sticking out. When I looked inside the trans. I can see that this slides into some type of hole. then I saw the hole slide down inside the trans. And I don't know how to get it back up AUUUGGRRRR!!! below are some pictures.
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2014, 12:05 AM
3_Angels
Intermediate

Default 2003 Boxster S Manual 6 speed

It looks like you have removed the plug bolt holding a roller in the outside location shown with the arrow. The actual roller is (poorly) shown in the inside location shown with the arrow. The roller moves along the diagrammed part number 9.

I am likely wrong; yet if I am correct I can provide some more information.
Attached Images    
Old 06-30-2014, 02:45 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Drain plug is on the bottom of the transmission, you have to pull the bellypan to access it. It uses a special security torx socket to remove. It points straight toward the ground. Fill port (17mm allen) is the port on the side of the transmission (driver side), which hard to tell by the quality of your picture, is what you are thinking the drain plug is. Should hold about 3qts of fluid or so.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:43 PM
3_Angels
Intermediate

Dear z851; I have rotated your picture to line up with my picture. It seems that something in wrong.
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2014, 08:41 PM
z851@yahoo.com
Instructor

3_Angel you are correct. I agree that it was some type of bushing. If you think you can help me I would so very grateful.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 PM
z851@yahoo.com
Instructor

I was hoping that if I correctly moved the shifter linkage, I could get it back into position...but I thought it was best in my state of mind to JUST WALK AWAY!!!
Old 07-01-2014, 12:55 PM
3_Angels
Intermediate

z851 - I am sorry to say that it seems impossible to get that roller back in place from outside the transmission. You can see from the pictures that I attached earlier that my transmission is on the work bench. If there is a good side to the problem, the roller can easily be remounted once the transmission is on the bench and split open. I do most all of my own work, so I don't know costs, but I would guess that a shop would charge less than $100 if you bring the transmission in to their shop. (Splitting the transmission and reassembling is very easy after you have done it once, but is also quite tricky and requires a couple of guys - 2002BoxsterSTransmissionRebuildDecember2011Revision3.pdf ) Best of luck.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

If that link does not work for you ,try this:
http://itguynetworks.com/articles/bo...1Revision3.pdf
Old 07-02-2014, 01:18 AM
3_Angels
Intermediate

Default Transmission possible solution

z851 - There is a possibility to fix your transmission from outside.

Remember that my transmission is sitting up in my living room with unlimited access.

Part number 9 from my previous postings http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=302-07 is poorly drawn. Part number 9 has a hole in it that your bolt goes through. The part number 9 is tensioned with a spring from an access vertically above part number 9. Removing the Circlip and the lid, the spring can be removed. http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=302-06 parts 4,5, and 6 (shown in incorrect order)

Using a small magnetic pick-up tool (you may have to cut one off to make it short enough), you can capture part number 9 and manipulate it into a location where you can get your bolt back on. You will also need a circlip tool that works at right angles.

Of course all this would be much easier with the transmission out; but it does at the least avoid splitting the case.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: I need Transmission help please!!!!