Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is is worth parting out an 02 986S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:30 PM
sdstimson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is is worth parting out an 02 986S?

I graduated college in May, left for Europe for 3 months and just got back and bought this car as a little builder project (put in a new IMS, new top, and fix body) to keep as a fun weekend car.
As fate would have it I just got a job back in San Diego and I need to re locate soon. Realistically I don't have the time now and having this car as my primary driver whilst only having street parking is not the best idea, so I'm bringing down my 325i instead.

So my question is are these cars worth more in parts or as a whole, what is it realistically worth in parts? Or is it worth while to just sit on it until I can fix it and do all the preventative maintenance. Our friend is a body guy and will fix for 1k.

The pros:
Drives great
Clean title
Frame is straight
New clutch
New rotors and pads
6speed

The cons:
The wreck obviously
67k, but the odometer reads 59k (I knew the previous owner and he had to replace it and this was the closest mileage he could find)

Old 09-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

I think you'd be better off just unloading the car to a business that specialized in salvaging Porsches.

With the damage but as a runner I think the car will bring you a reasonable sum of money.

The last thing you want to deal with when starting a new job in a new town is to have to lug about some old wrecked car, even it if it is a Porsche.

No, make the last thing you'd want to do is running some one car parting out operation.

After the engine and tranny is gone you'll be stuck with a carcass of a car that will probably turn to dust before you can sell all the parts.

Check the ads in Excellence and Panorama for names of businesses that specialize in Porsche salvaging and give them a call.

Call Oklahoma Foreign in Oklahoma City, OK. I bet it will buy the car.

Oh it will pick up the car so you do not have to bother getting the car to SD.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:02 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

A list of places specializing in Porsche wrecks is at http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/listsofsources

I'd also use Craigslist to advertise it to some local wrench that wants the engine and trans out of it. Hit where it is the chassis doesn't have much value. Perfect chassis bring around ~$3k with broken engines.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:39 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I see top ~$200 (plastic window), tires and wheels ~$400-600, engine ~$3,500+, transmission ~$1,000 as quick sell items

hassle - infinite (remove, acquire shipping box, ship, risk of bad buyer, etc.)

Quick Reply: Is is worth parting out an 02 986S?