Sponsored by:

Which to buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:25 AM
morgal48
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which to buy

My search has three 986 finalists. An '03 with 16k miles, an '03 with 35k miles, and an '01 with 38k miles. All meet my requirements. All are a plane ride away. All things being equal ( things are never equal) should newer with fewer miles win over older with more miles? Money is not an issue with these three. All have original clutches and original IMS/RMS. All are at dealers. Two have multiple prior owners.
Thanks for any input.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:45 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

Presume you know about the model differences 03 vs 01? Top is different including glass rear window for 03. Also more power though not a lot. Some interior and exterior changes. For me the condition and maintenance records would be key. These are all pretty low mileage. Have oil changes been done regularly on time? Preferably more than just once a year. Do you plan to upgrade the IMSB? If not I'd probably go with the relatively higher mileage. Presume you plan a PPI? I wouldn't buy a 986 without one from a knowledgeable shop. Best of luck.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Subconsciously I think you answered your own question. Look at the order you listed the cars. Enjoy your '03 with 16K miles.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:48 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I like the post of Macster. ( +1 )
Like always, ..a lot of good sense
Old 10-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I assume they are all "S" or not, whichever is your preference since cost is of secondary importance. So I say establish whichever 2003 model is in the best overall condition & buy it.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Deal down on the price because the IMS is old. Or, cut a deal to get a LN installed. Either way your going to have to look after this problem in the future. Why not get the seller to pick up some cost .
Old 10-16-2014, 03:23 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I wouldn't worry about number of owners, both mine had 2 before me and the one I sold on to its fourth owner was in even better shape than when I bought it. Condition and maintenance history is everything.

You'll not be comparing them directly? I presume they are in different locations.

Keep in mind that there are parts that wear and parts that age. I'd rather have a well maintained 60-80k car with great records and lots of recent PM than a super low mileage car without.

Being dealer's cars, will they release them to an independent for a PPI? (2-3 hours and maybe $200-400 that you pay and the results get shared and can be a basis for price negotiation) The PPI is only as good as the experience and ethics of the mechanic doing it. If he thinks he will get the maintenance business, he has a bigger incentive to do a good job.

Age and condition of tires? (~$1k or so cost)

03 improvements are desirable by most. (said as a previous '99 and '01s owner who could do without them in favor of price but not having them would have cost me the price of a new top eventually)

After I totaled my first Boxster, I did the PPI on my next one and budgeted for the ~$1k in miscellaneous replacements that made it wonderfully trouble free for the next 5 years. It needed a complete brake job too ($1k) at 42k of urban driving. And with all three of these cars, an IMS and AOS replacement too. So to bring it to tip top shape can cost $3k-4k unless the previous owner had done lots of PM. And the clutch condition will depend on the driver's skill. No way of knowing.

Both my cars were from private owners. I refused to pay the dealer's premium. I was a bargain hunter and paid several K less then the going price for each and was willing to wait. I was also in a major metro area with many to pick from. My first I bought in May, second in January with snow on the ground. Both were from sellers who I believed in their reasons for selling. (A convert is a car for times in your life and when situations change, they get sold.)

I sold my second to someone who was a professional buyer and seller of gold. He made his money reading people. Didn't even drive the car, judged by my enthusiasm, stories about the car, insistence that he take extra parts, documentation, etc that it was coming from a good home and had been much loved. He paid cash.

Loved mine, good luck.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:28 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would want to do an IMSB upgrade on any of those, so I too like the lower miles one given all 3 options have good records and a PPI. Tires are a good consideration; when I was searching, I found a few cars that were still on their original, decade old tires because the owners had not driven them enough to wear the treads out. The sidewalls were heavily laced with dry rot cracks. Definitely would not run around on them.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:12 PM
morgal48
Track Day

Thanks for the input! I didn't buy any of those. I bought an Arena Red 2000 with just over 35k on the clock. I'll be owner three; first owner had it twelve years, second one two. Second owner is more **** about cars than I, and did a lot of preventative work 8k miles ago when he bought it. The car has a new clutch, LNE IMS bearing, and new RMS. He has the original IMS bearing - and it is pitted, but not missing any chunks. The full leather interior looks new, and there is no wear on the driver's seat back or seat bottom bolsters. Both trunks appear to have never been used. Rear windscreen: check. Traction control: check. Turbo twist wheels: check. This is one of those cars that I've heard of people finding. It was even under my budget, and closer to home than any others I pursued. I am so whatever it is that people are today! Just wish I knew the word. Will pick up the car this next week, just in time for my 66th birthday. I know: I don't look a day over 70.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:46 PM
morgal48
Track Day

Forgot to mention that is has both keys, all books, complete maintenance history, and the ignition has been replaced.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by morgal48
Traction control: check.
Looks like you found a good one, congrates. But, we need pictures... lots of pictures.

I had never heard of Traction Control so I had to do some searching. Very cool option.

Traction Control... Included in "Traction Control" is the "ASR" anti slip regulator, and "ABD". If one tire slips the automatic brake differential applies the brake to
the slipping tire, hence reacting and behaving just like a limited slip differential. If BOTH tires spin, then the ASR slip regulatorkicks in and retards the ignition and cuts power so that traction is regained. Even when Traction Control is turned OFF.... ABD will still react up speeds of 45mph or 62 mph with PSM.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:31 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats! Sounds like you got a great car, just be sure to use it more than the previous owners! Poor car has only been driven about 2500 miles a year.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:59 PM
morgal48
Track Day

I am soooo excited about this car. Did I mention full leather and Litronic lights? Original window sticker included. Side markers changed to clear with amber bulbs. Pretty much every Boxster issue that I know about has been resolved. And an extra set of wheels and tires. Luckiest man alive.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:55 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by morgal48
I am soooo excited about this car. Did I mention full leather and Litronic lights? Original window sticker included. Side markers changed to clear with amber bulbs. Pretty much every Boxster issue that I know about has been resolved. And an extra set of wheels and tires. Luckiest man alive.
Congratulations! Post up a few pictures after you get done driving

Quick Reply: Which to buy