Sponsored by:

1998 Boxster question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 1998 Boxster question

My daughter's friend has a 98 tip with 16.5k miles on it. This morning when I put in reverse to her car it did not move freely. I had to give it a little gas to move it in reverse. When I released accelerator the car would stop. Shifting to drive felt fine and moved forward freely. My first thought was e-brake engaged or hanging up but I think that would effect forward also. I'm not sure of the maintenance history but brakes serviced by dealer 1yr ago. Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Grapeape
Racer

ok, jI removed the engine cover but could not locate the trans dipstick. I just found a thread that indicates I cannot check trans fluid unless on a lift, is that correct for a 1998?
Old 11-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeape
ok, jI removed the engine cover but could not locate the trans dipstick. I just found a thread that indicates I cannot check trans fluid unless on a lift, is that correct for a 1998?
Yes, my understanding is the engine/transmission has to be warmed up, the engine running -- idling -- and the car on a lift. A Porsche diagnostics computer or an infrared thermometer has to be used to ensure the temperature is within spec.

16.5K miles is not many miles on a Tip. However, I have to point out that 16.5K miles is still "new car" miles so it could be the Tip has suffered a problem not related to age or too many miles but something related to a manufacturing defect that of course had the car been driven more early on would have turned up while the car was still in warranty.

The difficultly in backing up could be from -- I hope -- the brakes having rusted from the car having been parked up after a washing. Low miles cars get washed often and often put away with the brakes wet. The pads and even the parking brake shoes (even thought they are alum.) can be frozen from rust from the iron rotors and iron drums.

It is also possible the parking brake didn't release properly.

That the car/Tip appeared to behave when going forward is a good sign.

But you can't risk driving the car any more until the Tip fluid level is checked and the car gone over to try to determine what happened.

Thus you (or the owner) should arrange to get the car flat bedded to a Porsche repair shop for an expert's check out and diagnosis.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Macster, thanks for you input. I told her to take it for a ride to warm it up in order to check it but then could not find a dipstick. I then put in reverse again and it felt fine so the warm-up helped. Low fluid level?

I was also surprised to see the low mileage considering the condition of the paint and interior. When I took the engine cover off I could believe how clean it is. I told this 17 yr old young lady how much nicer this car would present if we put a little elbow grease into cleaning it up. Time for Boxster intervention.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Grapeape
Macster, thanks for you input. I told her to take it for a ride to warm it up in order to check it but then could not find a dipstick. I then put in reverse again and it felt fine so the warm-up helped. Low fluid level?

I was also surprised to see the low mileage considering the condition of the paint and interior. When I took the engine cover off I could believe how clean it is. I told this 17 yr old young lady how much nicer this car would present if we put a little elbow grease into cleaning it up. Time for Boxster intervention.
The behavior you experienced could be from low fluid level. I have to point out for the level to be low there has to be a leak. This should be obvious to a tech who inspects the car.

If the level is low the level has to be corrected, but the leak source has to be addressed, too.

However, I doubt the fluid level is low.

If the behavior was not due to rusty brakes, a "glitch" with the parking brake mechanism, perhaps even just the inside front tire scrubbing as the car was backed up with the steering turned sharply one direction or the other, then it probably resides in the Tip itself. In this case you will have to, the owner will have to, consult with a trusted/experienced tech as to what the next step should be.

My advice would be to focus on id'ing if there is a problem and if there is where it is and getting it addressed. Afterwards you can intervene all you want in addressing the car's appearance.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:26 PM
DennisAN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did a 17 year old person have a nearly-new 16 year old car?
Old 11-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Grapeape
Racer

Originally Posted by DennisAN
How did a 17 year old person have a nearly-new 16 year old car?
She (insert Mom) is the original owner of the car which the parents only used on week-ends until she became a licensed driver. I agree a fortunate young lady as far as first auto ownership goes.

Originally Posted by Macster

My advice would be to focus on id'ing if there is a problem and if there is where it is and getting it addressed. Afterwards you can intervene all you want in addressing the car's appearance.
As you suggested they will bring it in for a look-see. The Mom had it in for fluid and brakes 2k miles ago so I'll report back if anything is found.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It needs to be driven they way it was designed.Get it hot and get the fluids moving in it. As a tip owner we`re pretty much screwed re. trans fluid check and top up.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:15 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

when was the last time the trans fluid and filter were changed?
Old 11-10-2014, 06:32 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We own a '99 tip.

The transmission, even at low speeds, tends to have less "creep" than your average sedan at idle or throttle tip-in. We've had the car since ~60k miles and it's always felt that way. Had a full trans fluid change at ~70k and felt the same after.

That said, when you engage reverse the car does creep. I'd try three things:

-Check/fix e-brake cables, linings and brake pads
-Clean the Mass Airflow Sensor
-Clean the Throttle body

The last two may not improve the "creep" but they do increase throttle response and if there's gunk in the TB it may affect idle.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 1998 Boxster question