Sponsored by:

boxster squealing

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:06 PM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default boxster squealing

My '00 boxster had started squealing after ~25 minutes of driving. The CEL also came on recently. Any ideas what it might be?
Old 01-19-2015, 06:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by DMB14
My '00 boxster had started squealing after ~25 minutes of driving. The CEL also came on recently. Any ideas what it might be?
The noise and CEL may be related or they may not be related. There's always two problems, unless there is just one or 3 or more.

Best if you can read the error code, or codes, including any pending codes and post.

With nothing more to go on than what you provided I'd have to say rodents.

J/K!

AOS.

Actually I am *not* really 100% confident in the AOS as it generally doesn't take 25 minutes of driving for one of these to manifest any symptoms.

The squealing could be an idler roller bearing or a water pump (or something else entirely) and the CEL is due to another issue.

I'm a bit leery of advising you to try various things with the noise present as if this is a water pump it may fail catastrophically and cause more mayhem.

One thing you can try is if the noise is present check the oil filler tube cap to make sure it is secure, then unscrew the cap and try to remove it. If you have difficulty removing the cap -- or possibly are unsuccessful in removing it -- this points a big fat finger at the AOS.

If the cap appears ok and you can remove it then you probably need to look to the accessory drive system for the source of the noise. Since the noise isn't present from a cold start you can [NOT] remove the belt and confirm the noise is present (or absent) at cold start with the belt removed.

Probably then you are left with removing the belt -- carefully note the routing and direction of rotation so you can reinstall the belt the same way it was -- and then check every accessory drive for play. Check the belt too. If the belt has a sharp edge that's a sign it is rubbing and that's a sign an accessory drive has too much play (any really play is too much) and then it is up to you to find it.

If you are running the engine and if the noise gets worse, if the engine starts to run rough, or in any way act up worse shut the engine off ASAP and get the car flat bedded to a shop for a pro's diagnosis.

Last edited by Macster; 01-20-2015 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added: [NOT]!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 PM
DMB14
Racer

Thanks for the info. I have no trouble removing the oil filler cap and the engine does seem to be running a little rough... I guess I will have to have it brought in to the shop.

I'm on a three week long wait list for my trusted mechanic right now. Can anyone provide any recommendations for other shops in the northern VA/DC area?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 AM
Abracus Ab Ras
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try opening your oil filler cap...if its difficult then you have AOS failure...and CEL will also light up.

Last edited by Abracus Ab Ras; 01-20-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have no trouble removing the oil filler cap and the engine does seem to be running a little rough... I guess I will have to have it brought in to the shop.

I'm on a three week long wait list for my trusted mechanic right now. Can anyone provide any recommendations for other shops in the northern VA/DC area?
If you can remove the cap with no struggle and the noise is present that eliminates the AOS (maybe).

With the AOS eliminated (maybe) and the engine running rough and making noise I'm really not in favor of one doing his own diagnostics unless he makes his living fixing cars.

I suggest you reconsider your trying to find another shop to take your car. That your "trusted" mechanic is booked suggests the trusted label is deserved. If you find a shop that can take your car in right away you have to wonder why it has the time available.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:19 PM
DMB14
Racer

Originally Posted by Macster
If you can remove the cap with no struggle and the noise is present that eliminates the AOS (maybe).

With the AOS eliminated (maybe) and the engine running rough and making noise I'm really not in favor of one doing his own diagnostics unless he makes his living fixing cars.

I suggest you reconsider your trying to find another shop to take your car. That your "trusted" mechanic is booked suggests the trusted label is deserved. If you find a shop that can take your car in right away you have to wonder why it has the time available.
Good thinking... I can wait, I'm just impatient

Quick Reply: boxster squealing