Sponsored by:

Can't open Boxster HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:52 PM
Robert Adams
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't open Boxster HELP!!!!!

Hi I'm new to the forum and hope you guys can help. I'm a new owner of a 2000 Boxster s. I've had it a few weeks and love it so far. It has 34k on the clock and Porsche put a new engine in at 13k Because of IMS failure. It has had new IMS kit installed and new clutch kit by the former owner at 33k he spent 3 grand. He also installed a new interstate battery at that time. I parked the car and have not driven it in 6 days and can't open with the key fob and the key. There are red lights blinking on top of the dash and by the radio. HELP Thanks Bob I can't read owners manual it's locked in the ca

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-02-2015, 10:28 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Try the key in the lock to open the door. Then key the ignition and the fob button should then work. The computer disconnects the fob buttons after 5 days if the key isn't used for security reasons.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Robert Adams
Intermediate

Originally Posted by paulofto
Try the key in the lock to open the door. Then key the ignition and the fob button should then work. The computer disconnects the fob buttons after 5 days if the key isn't used for security reasons.
Tried the key will not open door. I also put new battery in key. I called circle Porsche in long beach California. They suggested AAA to open car then see if key starts the car and drive to dealer. I'm a little concerned about having a tow truck driver break into the car and causing more problems. Thanks for trying to help

Old 02-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try getting some locksmith graphite and shoot it into the lock cylinder. May lubricate it enough to turn the key
Old 02-02-2015, 11:55 PM
Robert Adams
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mighty Shilling
Try getting some locksmith graphite and shoot it into the lock cylinder. May lubricate it enough to turn the key
The key turns with out a problem both ways about 90 degrees. I think it's an electrical problem. Thanks I will try it.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:31 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

You are absolutely sure that you have used this key (and not another) to open the door before?
Old 02-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Robert Adams
Intermediate

I never had to use the key in the door always used the key fob button. I called the former owner and he said he never had a problem like this. However I only got one key with the alarm button on it and 2 Keys without the alarm button on them and they are in the car with the owners manual. He lost the other key with the alarm button on it in his garage. He is emptying his garage to try to find it. However it's taking some time he is over 80 years old. I plan on helping him clean his garage this weekend. He is shopping for a sports car that is easier for him to get in and out of. God bless him he's over 80 and still wants to drive a performance car. Thanks

Old 02-03-2015, 11:34 PM
Dan951Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like either the linkage is broken from the tumbler to the latch.... Or more likely the door latch was replaced and the mechanic forgot to line up the plastic tumbler blade into the latch. The key rotates freely 90 degrees both directions? You should feel some mechanical action taking place. Even without power this function should still work- not an electrical problem.
The next step is breaking in.
*deleted cause i realized I don't want everyone to know how to break in
Operate the inner door handle-This will mechanically unlock to the latch, which can then be opened from the outside.
THE CAR ALARM WILL GO OFF!!! There is no way to fix this. Only a key programmed to the vehicle inserted in the ignition and cycled will shutdown the alarm.
It is quite difficult. There is much room for error. The tow companies are very familiar with this method and usually quite skilled at not damaging your vehicle.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:04 AM
Robert Adams
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan951Man
Sounds like either the linkage is broken from the tumbler to the latch.... Or more likely the door latch was replaced and the mechanic forgot to line up the plastic tumbler blade into the latch. The key rotates freely 90 degrees both directions? You should feel some mechanical action taking place. Even without power this function should still work- not an electrical problem. The next step is breaking in. *deleted cause i realized I don't want everyone to know how to break in Operate the inner door handle-This will mechanically unlock to the latch, which can then be opened from the outside. THE CAR ALARM WILL GO OFF!!! There is no way to fix this. Only a key programmed to the vehicle inserted in the ignition and cycled will shutdown the alarm. It is quite difficult. There is much room for error. The tow companies are very familiar with this method and usually quite skilled at not damaging your vehicle.
Thanks for your help with this I feel a little better about calling AAA and breaking in

Old 02-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Robert Adams
Intermediate

Ok I called AAA and there locksmith said he can't help me. I guess I'm going to have to call a Tow truck and haul it to the shop.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:20 AM
particlewave
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://986forum.com/forums/general-d...ocked-out.html
You'll have to pull the handle from the inside twice to unlock.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by particlewave
http://986forum.com/forums/general-d...ocked-out.html
You'll have to pull the handle from the inside twice to unlock.
From that thread, this:

They used the wedge and bladder (balloon) method to pry my driver side window apart, insert the balloon, and then use a long handled hook to pull my door handle. Didn't try the dashboard unlock button. I also did not need to jump the battery.

I was in Ely NV (where my Turbo was towed after impacting a mule deer) and before the tow truck operator could give me a ride to the hotel I had to wait for the tow truck operator to get into a locked car and he used the wedge and air bladder technique to open the window a bit and then reach in with a rod and grab the handle and open the door from the inside.

He had a suitcase of various bladders and rods of different lengths, and shapes.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Robert Adams
Intermediate

I will try to find a different lock smith.
Thanks Bob

Old 02-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Robert Adams
Intermediate

Ok finally found a locksmith that could do it after calling several that said no. lock and key locksmith in seal beach. He has done several Boxsters. It took about an hour I thought he wouldn't be able too do it but he had a lot of patients and it paid off. Thanks to all of you guys trying to help me Bob

Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 AM
BBA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it worked out. It's pretty impressive to watch someone who professionally breaks into cars, there's not much they can't get into.

Let us know what they find. It has to be something broken or disconnected internally, as the lock is totally mechanical.

Quick Reply: Can't open Boxster HELP!!!!!