Sponsored by:

Thinking out loud .

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Privateer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking out loud .

Hey guys.....Iv had my Boxter S less than a week now, I read a lot about this IMS failure which Is kind of worrying as this seems to be a common problem , although my car Is a 2001 but with only 39.000 miles on It I would hope It lasts me for some time before I get any major problems.
But having said that I just read the blog about the IMS problem over on Flat 6 innovations web site , and they recommend getting the retrofit done ASAP regardless of milage . So now I'm thinking maybe I should look into this and get the upgrade before the IMS fails but then again It might never fail do I take that chance or do I get the up grade ??.
I don't know guys , kind of damned If you do out $3500 +, or damned If you don't and screw the motor up .

I read really's post , that Is one nightmare I wouldn't want to go through. I hope It works out for you mate

Last edited by Privateer; 03-12-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:58 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I've followed this issue for about 7 years on three continents and seven forums. I didn't do the IMS on a similar car. Others have been unlucky and those are the ones that post. In making your decision, remember your chance of IMS failure this year is slightly less than 1%.

My advise. Choose your mechanic based on their experience with M96 engine internals. The IMS jobs that I read about that are botched are ones where the installer doesn't follow the instructions of the supplier, the supplier's instructions are wrong, or the installer was careless. You are doing it to improve your chances, not reduce them. Most important inspect the filter and oil pan as Flat6 suggests and make sure you aren't installing into an already failing engine. If they show signs of ferrous metal, get professional expert help.

Choose a product with lots of installs because your mechanic will be familiar with it and because lots of installs over lots of years gives you confidence that the product is a good one.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 PM
Privateer
Track Day

LOL I just noticed the IMS sticky at the top of the page......seems like most failures were on low milage cars , that clinches It I'm booking the car in for an IMS retrofit asap .
Old 03-12-2015, 09:22 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Good for you. Read the information then make a decision on the facts presented rather than the ax grinding of a 23 post poser who most likely is a banned user under a new name.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:21 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Privateer, while all of the M96s are at risk, the lower mile ones that have had an easy life seem to see this failure more often than other motors. You should definitely look into a fix unless you have a very high risk tolerance. Be sure to drive the wheels off your car from now on to minimize your chance of failure in the future, it's worked for me so far
Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 AM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

OP sorry about the thread hijack, but it looks like you have made up your mind.

Yep, my name is Lon. I would consider myself a fanman of Jakes. I am running my second race engine built by him. Its a 4.0 that I club race as was the 3.8 before it. I even attended his engine building class and will be attending his performance class next. I've been a customer for a long time and will continue being one.

So who are you and what proof do you of your statements? Do you own a Porsche? Have you ever driven one? Can you turn a wrench? Or just another troll in your mommies basement?

Ok, I am finished with this now.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Privateer
Track Day

Come on guys lets play nice......Hey EP3_LOL . Do you intend on getting the fix ? What milage Is your car ?
Iv booked mine In for the retrofit , April 1st was the earliest I could get It in , does around $3.500 parts and labor including clutch kit (If needed) sound about right to you guys ?
Old 03-13-2015, 04:20 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

That may be a bit high. Did you look at the threads at the top of the 996 list? I think there is some general pricing in those.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Privateer
Track Day

Originally Posted by ltusler
That may be a bit high. Did you look at the threads at the top of the 996 list? I think there is some general pricing in those.
Thanks Itusler Ill take a look .
Old 03-16-2015, 11:40 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that price sounds steep to me. I will probably get the upgrade done when something else requires the transmission to be dropped (clutch, RMS, etc.). I'm at 85k miles right now, and about half of those were piled on after I bought the car 3 1/2 years ago. I wasn't quite as knowledgeable about the issue when I first bought the car- if I had been, I probably would have had it done. But by the time I learned enough about it, I figured I was already past a higher risk scenario.

Quick Reply: Thinking out loud .