Sponsored by:

New Guy Checking In

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 12:06 AM
fins
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Guy Checking In

Purchased a 2001 S with 27k miles a couple of weeks ago. It was a local car and have spoken to one of the previous owners indicating the car was babied while they had it. The last owner put 200 miles on the car and then stored it. I've searched this forum for a definitive answer but have yet to find it. I'm currently having the hood repainted, ordered a set of Sumitomos, ordered Suncoast upgraded cigarette lighter, planning an oil/filter change, air & cabin filter change and may soon upgrade the radio to a double din with nav. I found a reliable indy shop 90 miles north of me and was wondering what service you would advice to "refresh" the S given how inactive it has been. I'm sure an all-fluids flush is in order but what else?. Incidentally, the car drives wonderfully and have enjoyed ownership for what little seat time I've had with her.

Great forum you have here and I look to learning from you all.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:30 AM
fins
Advanced

... forgot to post photo...

Old 04-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by fins
Purchased a 2001 S with 27k miles a couple of weeks ago. It was a local car and have spoken to one of the previous owners indicating the car was babied while they had it. The last owner put 200 miles on the car and then stored it. I've searched this forum for a definitive answer but have yet to find it. I'm currently having the hood repainted, ordered a set of Sumitomos, ordered Suncoast upgraded cigarette lighter, planning an oil/filter change, air & cabin filter change and may soon upgrade the radio to a double din with nav. I found a reliable indy shop 90 miles north of me and was wondering what service you would advice to "refresh" the S given how inactive it has been. I'm sure an all-fluids flush is in order but what else?. Incidentally, the car drives wonderfully and have enjoyed ownership for what little seat time I've had with her.

Great forum you have here and I look to learning from you all.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome.

For a "refresh" I'd have all vital fluids changed that you have no written proof of when they were last done or were done long enough ago they are due again.

Start with engine oil/filter. A brake fluid flush/bleed is required every 2 years. For a manual the clutch hydraulic system gets flushed/bled at the same time.

I'd have the coolant drained and refilled with fresh blend of Porsche anti-freeze and distilled water. Be sure the shop uses some kind of vacuum lift system to *help* ensure an air pocket *free* refill of coolant is done.

Plugs are problem due to be changed on time.

Be sure the body water drains are free of any trash.

If the radiator ducts have trash in them have the front bumper cover removed and the A/C condensers unbolted and gently swung out of the way to remove all trash from the radiator ducts and from between the condenser and radiator.

Might as well replace the engine air filter, fuel filter -- if there is a serviceable filter (my 2002 Boxster's fuel filter is part of the in-tank fuel pump and is not serviceable) -- and cabin air filter.

Check old tire wear patterns. If uneven when you have new tires fitted get a proper 4 wheel alignment done. Empty car of junk (dead weigh). Be sure spare and tool kit are present and properly stored. Fill up fuel tank.

Later you can have a transmission/diff fluid change done. AFAIK there is no requirement to have this done on time and the miles are quite low but the stuff is getting old... The service is pretty inexpensive. For my Boxster the labor is just 0.6 hour and there's just the cost of the fluid. Sometimes I get a discount on the fluid. (One time I got it for $5/liter) as the service department had some left over from warranty work.)

Have the tech inspect the underside of the car for any leak sign. Water pump. Power steering lines, fittings, and at the rack. Check the CV boots are intact. Make sure all the underbody panels and such are intact and not loose.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:57 PM
fins
Advanced

Macster, thanks a bunch. Will relay to my shop.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:11 PM
irie1029
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats!
Old 04-19-2015, 08:35 PM
haji3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did the respray cost? I just got my wife 2001 and the hood has a couple of imperfections that are driving her crazy.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:16 PM
fins
Advanced

Originally Posted by haji3
What did the respray cost? I just got my wife 2001 and the hood has a couple of imperfections that are driving her crazy.
My shop quoted me $500. He did an excellent job. Gonna wait a month and I will more likely clear bra the whole hood, bumper and partial fenders...
Old 04-19-2015, 11:23 PM
fins
Advanced

follow up: shop uncovered bad CV boot. My mechanic is going with reman axle to save on labor cost of replace/repack CV boot. Other than that everything seems to be up to spec. Still fretting on whether to spend the money on IMS Retrofit....

Last edited by fins; 04-20-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:33 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, and nice purchase! I would definitely look into getting the IMSB upgraded- the lower-miles, "babied" cars seem to have a higher rate of failure. It's a pretty big chunk of change to have that done, but it's a lot cheaper than a new motor
Old 04-21-2015, 05:35 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome! What a great purchase. If you do end up wanting to do any DIY on the car we have a great amount of Tech Articles and a parts catalog that can help you out with them. Otherwise, hope you enjoy the new car!

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 PM
fins
Advanced

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Welcome! What a great purchase. If you do end up wanting to do any DIY on the car we have a great amount of Tech Articles and a parts catalog that can help you out with them. Otherwise, hope you enjoy the new car!

-Luccia
Luccia,

You're a little late. I've already placed two minor orders from Pelican!
Old 04-23-2015, 01:26 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fins
Luccia,

You're a little late. I've already placed two minor orders from Pelican!
That's great to hear! Do let me know if you need anything else or have any questions.

-Luccia
Old 04-23-2015, 09:54 PM
fins
Advanced

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
That's great to hear! Do let me know if you need anything else or have any questions.

-Luccia
Thank you very much!

Quick Reply: New Guy Checking In