New to me 1999 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:52 AM
macroni
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New to me 1999 Boxster

Introduction:

I bought my son a 1999 Boxster w/ 65,000 miles. One owner car with a Porsche installed replacement motor (roughly 35,000 on it presently). So far I am very pleased with my purchase.

Observations and Questions:

While the car steers and handles crisply it feels and sounds like the steering box is loose. It could be something else...... any ideas?

Passenger door sounds like a tool box when on uneven roads yet when you close it is quiet....... Ideas?

The driver side exterior mirror ( not the mounting) vibrates (wiggles) at speed...... repair ideas?

Clutch engages at the end of its throw..... what does this mean? Previous owner says the clutch was replaced during motor replacement......

Thanks for insights.......
Old 06-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by macroni
Introduction:

I bought my son a 1999 Boxster w/ 65,000 miles. One owner car with a Porsche installed replacement motor (roughly 35,000 on it presently). So far I am very pleased with my purchase.

Observations and Questions:

While the car steers and handles crisply it feels and sounds like the steering box is loose. It could be something else...... any ideas?

Passenger door sounds like a tool box when on uneven roads yet when you close it is quiet....... Ideas?

The driver side exterior mirror ( not the mounting) vibrates (wiggles) at speed...... repair ideas?

Clutch engages at the end of its throw..... what does this mean? Previous owner says the clutch was replaced during motor replacement......

Thanks for insights.......
When does the steering box feel loose? In anticipation of the expected response I will point out due to the car's steering geometry the inside front wheel/tire when the steering wheel it is turned sharply is not in full contact with the pavement. At slow speeds if the tires are cold, or worn and hard, and coupled with the right pavement surface, the inside tire will scrub/skip and at the steering wheel this can feel like there is something wrong with the car's steering.

Does the door have storage bins? If so is there anything in the bin? Are the lids tight. The driver side lid on my Boxster lost its spring and was loose. I do not recall if it rattled or caused any noise before I have it replaced.

I've never had the side mirrors apart. Reads like the mirror mount has failed, that is the hardware that supports the actual mirror glass and allows for some adjustment.

Clutch pedal engagement can be a bit higher than one might be used to.

How is the clutch pedal pressure? A real heavy clutch can be a sign of a worn clutch. I assume the clutch doesn't slip under high load? With everything warmed up driving in 4th gear at say 3K floor the gas pedal. If engine RPMs climb with no corresponding increase in speed the clutch is slipping. If it slips no need to test it again. Get it replaced.

How is engagement? If grabby and coupled with a heavy clutch pedal this is a sign the clutch is worn. The thing gets grabby when the clutch disc rivets start to contact the flywheel/pressure plate surfaces.

Be sure you have the brake *and* clutch fluid flushed/bled. I have cured clutch/shifting problems with my 2002 Boxster by having this done, after having let it go around 2.5 years. Afterwards while the braking action was unchanged -- it was "fine" before -- the clutch action and shifting behavior was markedly improved.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:41 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to RL Luke.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Old 06-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Giller
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

986forum is another great resource for all things Boxster....might get some additional input over there.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd also want to recommend using a silicone based lubricant in the door latch to help quiet down the door.

Quick Reply: New to me 1999 Boxster