Sponsored by:

Tip problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip problems

My car wont start in P when it is warmed up. It only starts in N. Also its difficult to remove the key. When it does this the indicator flashes R. Once started the trans works fine in M or A. Any dyi I can do ?
Old 07-19-2015, 02:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Xpit77
My car wont start in P when it is warmed up. It only starts in N. Also its difficult to remove the key. When it does this the indicator flashes R. Once started the trans works fine in M or A. Any dyi I can do ?
Consider replacing the ignition switch. Many opt to replace just the electrical item at the end of the assembly but Porsche requires its techs replace the whole assembly. There were too many bring backs just replacing the electrical portion.

That it is difficult to remove the key suggests the problem lies with more than just the electrical portion of the ignition switch.

However, if you don't mind doing the job twice you can elect to just replace the electrical portion. IF this is sufficient then win! If not at least you know.

'course, the above assumes the problem is with the ignition switch.

But the symptoms/behavior suggest this is the problem.

You can see if wiggling the key, pushing it around in the switch, has any positive (or negative) effect. If it does this lends weight to my idea the switch is the source of the problem.

Before you wrench on the car be sure the battery is in good shape. These can go bad at any time. (Had a brand new one go bad after just 7 months in my 996 Turbo.)

Oh, just a word of advice: If you do any work on the car that involves the electrical system be sure you disconnect the battery and follow the owners manual procedure for disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:54 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Why would it be heat related if it were the I swich?

When it happens, did you wiggle the steering wheel and the shifter lever? I recall similar odd no-starts on one of mine that I could always get around by the right jiggle.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikefocke
When it happens, did you wiggle the steering wheel and the shifter lever? I recall similar odd no-starts on one of mine that I could always get around by the right jiggle.
The assembly gets hot and electrical contacts become marginal due the heat and resulting expansion. Even in a good switch my ignition key comes out hot from the ignition switch.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Someone on another forum mention about a switch near the shifter or a cable adjustment. Any thoughts on these ?
Old 07-24-2015, 03:24 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Anything that causes the ECU to think that the trans isn't in N or P can be the cause. Even a motor or transmission mount gone bad can.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Xpit77
Someone on another forum mention about a switch near the shifter or a cable adjustment. Any thoughts on these ?
Could be.

If you can't affect the behavior by wiggling/pushing the on key while turning the engine on and trying to start the engine then the shift level position sensor/switch or a cable adjustment then comes in for suspicion.

You can then try to effect the behavior by moving the shifter hoping you can find a sweet spot that allows the engine to start when it doesn't otherwise.

I have read a number of posts by owners who have found the ignition switch to be at the root cause of a number of symptoms/odd behavior. I don't recall coming across any posts from owners who found the Tip and its linkage at fault. But that doesn't mean it can't be at fault in the case of your car.

You are at the car and you have to diagnose this unless you want to take the car to a shop or flip a coin and do what you had riding on the outcome of the coin toss.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Default Problem solved

I checked with Porsche to see if the recall for the key removal / cable adjustment was done. And it was. Took it to an Indy shop. We are friends and he owed me a favor. Put it on the hoist for a look. The shifter plate pivots on a pin. The pin had become super dirty and some hard spots were preventing the plate to move freely.Removed it and cleaned the pin with some wet paper greased it and good to go. All switches are fine cable didn`t need a touch. One small issue is it`s a pain to get the surclip holding it on off.

Quick Reply: Tip problems