Sponsored by:

water pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:18 AM
DMB14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water pump

What have you guys paid to have the water pump done? I was quoted $1300. Seems a little high... no?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:57 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

in a word, yes. It does seem high considering its around $350 in parts including coolant and a new thermostat.

It's a fairly easy DIY.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by DMB14
What have you guys paid to have the water pump done? I was quoted $1300. Seems a little high... no?
A couple of years ago -- well, more than a couple -- I paid around $1100 for a new water pump, T-stat, coolant replacement, and I think an oil/filter change at the Walnut Creek, CA Porsche dealer. The oil change would have added at that time probably would have added nearly $250 to the water pump/T-stat job's cost.

I'm sure dealer prices have gone up. My local dealer has increaed its hourly rate to $160 (it was $150) an hour. (And still the service department has so much business an appontment is weeks out.) Parts prices have gone up as the dollar's value has surged. (But its high price has helped lower the cost of oil -- of course increased production played a role too.)
Old 02-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Sapientoni
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I order my pump from SUncoast and did it myself. They might be changing all the hoses and replacing the "lifetime" coolant. The white stuff on the hoses is from the pump weep hole, not a leaking hose. Didn't change them nor the thermostat, unless you have a problem with the thermostat.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Sapientoni
I order my pump from SUncoast and did it myself. They might be changing all the hoses and replacing the "lifetime" coolant. The white stuff on the hoses is from the pump weep hole, not a leaking hose. Didn't change them nor the thermostat, unless you have a problem with the thermostat.
You should always change the T-stat when the water pump is changed. The T-stat has a longer life span than the water pump which is why we seldom encounter a failed T-stat. But if one tries to run a T-stat too long the risk is the T-stat fails. If it fails open that's one thing but if it fails closed that can something else, read more serious.

The labor cost to replace a failed T-stat is pretty much the same labor cost to replace the water pump/T-stat. All one is out is the extra parts cost of the T-stat and the gasket.

The above is worded a bit awkwardly. The point I wanted to make is one doesn't save very much money at all by skipping replacing the T-Stat when he replaces the water pump. And if the T-Stat needs doing at some later date the cost to replace just the T-Stat is very close to the cost to replace the water pump and T-Stat. About the only difference if one is back at the engine to replace the T-Stat is he doesn't have the cost of the water pump.

Last edited by Macster; 02-29-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:53 AM
TristanCBR
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this myself recently. It's not a hard job and there are a few good videos on it as well. Just make sure you have a flex joint socket adapter. Its a must for a couple of the bolts.

Quick Reply: water pump