Sponsored by:

rear undertray

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear undertray

My rear under tray shplit down the middle. I know why and yes I am going to remove it. Anyone who DD`s a 986 have one on ? Is it an issue to use the car for a bit while I source one ?
Old 04-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Xpit77
My rear under tray shplit down the middle. I know why and yes I am going to remove it. Anyone who DD`s a 986 have one on ? Is it an issue to use the car for a bit while I source one ?
Are you talking about the sheet metal tray which attaches to aluminum rails -- one on each side -- the run at a diagonal?

That's a stiffener not a tray.

When my 2002 was in for its RMS the tech had removed that panel and the tech let the car down and pushed it out of the way to free up the service bay/lift while waiting for parts to arrive. (This was when an RMS leak was a new and rare thing.)

With that panel removed the alignment was off when he put the car back together. I didn't realize it until the rear tires wore down to the belts on the inside edges. Prior to that the rear tires had been wearing very evenly across the tread faces.

I wouldn't drive the car with that stiffener panel removed, if that is the one you are talking about.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:17 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 on Macsters reply. Do not drive the car without the aluminum plate attached. If you are referring to the black plastic plates, no problem, at least for the short term.

Quick Reply: rear undertray