Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GT 1st service @ 4 years ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 AM
tqg4ply
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera GT 1st service @ 4 years ?

My dealer told me my 2004 GT being 4 years old ( 1,400 miles ) needs a service - engine out, which includes a factory recall while the engine is out ???? Has anyone had the first service done - what does it include and what estimated cost ? Howard Jacobs
Old 08-05-2008, 05:41 AM
themarsman
Racer

I think you need to find a new dealer!

Unless you need a new clutch I can't think of any reason to remove the engine. You have had the oil changed since new I hope, just because you have such low mileage doesn't mean the oil is good for four years.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:20 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 94 Posts

Certainly in the UK at four years old/30k miles it's an engine out service.

This is an email from Porsche Cars GB confirming this to be the case, and that the engine needs to come out for a recall/campaign item so this is done at the same time:

'I need to advise you that now having just done 4 full services on Carrera gt's, we have to remove the engine and gearbox to be able to measure and adjust where necessary the valve clearances

There is also an outstanding campaign on your car, which involves replacing the gearbox input shaft plate, this can only done when the car is having a full service or any other work that involves removing the engine and gearbox.'

Around £7k GBP. Mine's due the end of this year, however at 18k miles the clutch is still at 29.70mm so that will not need changing!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 PM
MarekN
Racer

I would worry about many other things in a four-year old car which has only done 1400 miles. Not to be picky, but how do you keep everything in running order when you don´t run it? Are you keeping the miles low on purpose?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

So let me see if I understood this correctly... Porsche has a recall that they are not willing to pay for? They want to do it when you are paying for an engine out service? Wow...

Anyway... I was under the impression that you needed to do an oil and brake fluid change every year (or two) if you only put a few miles in the car... just to make sure you get rid of any condensation in the fluids...
Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Originally Posted by Wachuko
So let me see if I understood this correctly... Porsche has a recall that they are not willing to pay for? They want to do it when you are paying for an engine out service? Wow...

Anyway... I was under the impression that you needed to do an oil and brake fluid change every year (or two) if you only put a few miles in the car... just to make sure you get rid of any condensation in the fluids...
Their take on it is that it's not sufficiently serious to warrant engine out for this recall alone - read that how you will! I guess they calculate that the number of cars that have a mechanical failure because of this will cost less to fix than doing all the engine out recalls. Not that Porsche Ag is run by bean counters of course.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 726 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
Certainly in the UK at four years old/30k miles it's an engine out service.

This is an email from Porsche Cars GB confirming this to be the case, and that the engine needs to come out for a recall/campaign item so this is done at the same time:

'I need to advise you that now having just done 4 full services on Carrera gt's, we have to remove the engine and gearbox to be able to measure and adjust where necessary the valve clearances

There is also an outstanding campaign on your car, which involves replacing the gearbox input shaft plate, this can only done when the car is having a full service or any other work that involves removing the engine and gearbox.'

Around £7k GBP. Mine's due the end of this year, however at 18k miles the clutch is still at 29.70mm so that will not need changing!
Check the booklet. The valve adjustment is mileage related, not years in service.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Check the booklet. The valve adjustment is mileage related, not years in service.
You'd better have another look in the service book then

Old 08-06-2008, 10:28 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine's due the end of this year, however at 18k miles the clutch is still at 29.70mm so that will not need changing!
How does one check the clutch wear/thickness on a Carrera GT?

I asked my dealer to have a look and he said that there was only a tiny inspection hole too small through which to see anything useful.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Originally Posted by W8MM
How does one check the clutch wear/thickness on a Carrera GT?

I asked my dealer to have a look and he said that there was only a tiny inspection hole too small through which to see anything useful.
Your dealer should know better! Surely not an officical Porsche dealer? That inspection hole is for clutch plate wear measurement. See the attached from the Porsche Workshop Manual for 980 Carrera GT:

Last edited by RS Clubsport; 08-06-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can you get the CGT service manual online? My dealer wants about $4K USD to order one.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:42 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Any genuine CGT owners email me through my profile and I will burn it to CD and Fedex it to you.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Any genuine CGT owners email me through my profile and I will burn it to CD and Fedex it to you.

At no charge I meant to add.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 726 Likes on 340 Posts

You'd better have another look in the service book then

Yes, sorry, you're correct. Last time I take the stealer's word for it. Most are under the impression that the valve adjustment job is mandatory at 40k kms.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:01 AM
fayence
Instructor

Please drive your car more.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT 1st service @ 4 years ?