2008 Cayenne Turbo - PDCC Rear Line Burst

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:37 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by geetee
You do have to bleed it a few times to get all the bubbles out. Must make sure you have enough pentosin
Do you have the bleeding procedure that you can share? I might need it in the future.

Thanks,
TomF
Old 09-29-2017, 03:14 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by killer2001
Follow up post,

Replaced both rear PDCC lines. It appears Porsche at some point in time revised these lines as the ones I received were no longer steel braided but very tough thick rubber for hydraulic systems. Much more confident inspiring. Had to drop the exhaust muffler down as well as the sway bar itself in order to have the proper clearance. Definitely recommend having a friend help with this job if you are a DIY'er.

Test drove last night and this morning. Everything seems to be fine. I don't have the program to perform the bleeding procedure so I would top off the reservoir, drive around for a little bit and pull over and top it off again until all the little air bubbles were gone. I will continue to monitor the PDCC reservoir for the next couple of days.

Will update if need be.
After mine went the first time, the updated replacements failed a further 2 times within 2 months with the Porsche supplied parts being replaced under warranty on each occasion. On the first occasion the pipe failed at idle in traffic and on the subsequent occurrences it happened whilst pushing hard on the same sweeping right hander. I've had a borrowed oil distributor fitted on trial for the last couple of months with no further issues.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:28 PM
killer2001
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbit
After mine went the first time, the updated replacements failed a further 2 times within 2 months with the Porsche supplied parts being replaced under warranty on each occasion. On the first occasion the pipe failed at idle in traffic and on the subsequent occurrences it happened whilst pushing hard on the same sweeping right hander. I've had a borrowed oil distributor fitted on trial for the last couple of months with no further issues.

Where did the replacement lines fail at? And are these the rear or front pdcc lines you are referring to?
Old 09-29-2017, 08:54 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Do you have the bleeding procedure that you can share? I might need it in the future.

Thanks,
TomF
I know there is an official bleed procedure but I just drove around town with lots of turns for 10 min. Park and top off. Repeat a couple more times and level hasn't changed after 3rd time.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:20 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by geetee
I know there is an official bleed procedure but I just drove around town with lots of turns for 10 min. Park and top off. Repeat a couple more times and level hasn't changed after 3rd time.
Thanks. I did that with my 2009 to get most of the bubbles out, but I was looking for the procedure that Porsche uses to cycle the valve blocks. The whole procedure takes about 90 minutes from what the local dealer told me. I suspect that you need to use a PIWIS to do the procedure though...

Cheers,
TomF
Old 10-01-2017, 04:21 PM
killer2001
Advanced

Anyone getting chassis system warning when they are taking very hard turns? Happens to me now, I'm wondering if its happening because there still might be air in the PDCC system? When I turn the car off and restart it the error is no longer present.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:16 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Follow up post,

Replaced both rear PDCC lines. It appears Porsche at some point in time revised these lines as the ones I received were no longer steel braided but very tough thick rubber for hydraulic systems. Much more confident inspiring. Had to drop the exhaust muffler down as well as the sway bar itself in order to have the proper clearance. Definitely recommend having a friend help with this job if you are a DIY'er.

Test drove last night and this morning. Everything seems to be fine. I don't have the program to perform the bleeding procedure so I would top off the reservoir, drive around for a little bit and pull over and top it off again until all the little air bubbles were gone. I will continue to monitor the PDCC reservoir for the next couple of days.

Will update if need be.
Interesting, this sounds like the articles I have read on braided brake lines failing do the shroud damaging them I think, that is to say the braid, and you can't inspect the lines because the braid is in the way.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:05 PM
killer2001
Advanced

Originally Posted by touareg
Interesting, this sounds like the articles I have read on braided brake lines failing do the shroud damaging them I think, that is to say the braid, and you can't inspect the lines because the braid is in the way.
Yes, now I need to inspect my front lines as I most likely will want to replace them too.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:48 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where did the replacement lines fail at? And are these the rear or front pdcc lines you are referring to?
Mine were on the front anti-roll bar and all failed at the swage. Only on the 3rd time was there any significant oil loss.

Last edited by mcbit; 10-03-2017 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,266 Likes on 3,991 Posts

Based on earlier reports of the front lines failing dye to exterior abrasion, I actually took mine loose and purchased some clear heat shrink tubing that would fit over the metal threaded end, cut a section to length for the hose and shrunk it down over the braided stainless casing. I figured this would help protect the line and maintain its integrity, but this is a different type of failure where it looks like it failed internally rather than from exterior abrasion, so now I may not have accomplished anything

On the failed line you removed, what material is inside the stainless carcass - is it rubber, Teflon, or something else. The better stainless brake and power steering lines are braided stainless over Teflon with a rubber protective coating over the stainless. If the OEM lines are just rubber inside (including the upgraded replacements that have re-failed), maybe I should look at having some higher quality ones custom made with the proper construction, with the right lengths and ends on them.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:37 PM
killer2001
Advanced

Judging from my observation it was an internal rubbing issue. Not sure of the material inside (I'd lean towards teflon), but possibly the internal hose expanded to the point where it was constantly touching the stainless braided portion, and this internal friction along with the heat/pressure caused the brown spots. This in turn will eventually lead to a burst. I'm going to check my front lines for any of these visual brown marks and if I see them, going to replace the lines immediately.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Judging from my observation it was an internal rubbing issue. Not sure of the material inside (I'd lean towards teflon), but possibly the internal hose expanded to the point where it was constantly touching the stainless braided portion, and this internal friction along with the heat/pressure caused the brown spots. This in turn will eventually lead to a burst. I'm going to check my front lines for any of these visual brown marks and if I see them, going to replace the lines immediately.
Maybe you could cut through one of the replaced ones with some diagonals and let us know what the internal construction looks like.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:00 PM
killer2001
Advanced

I suppose, I'll have to dig through my trash cans, trash goes out tomorrow so they should still be in there... somewhere... lol
Old 10-03-2017, 07:01 PM
killer2001
Advanced

As expected, the line was split on the inside. Looks like PTFE hose material, definitely not rubber. Either way, too thin for my tastes. Although PTFE should be adequate for this application? Maybe we ended up getting a poor quality PTFE from the factory, who knows. Perhaps these lines see a bit more heat and pressure than engineered for.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As expected, the line was split on the inside. Looks like PTFE hose material, definitely not rubber. Either way, too thin for my tastes. Although PTFE should be adequate for this application? Maybe we ended up getting a poor quality PTFE from the factory, who knows. Perhaps these lines see a bit more heat and pressure than engineered for.

Thanks for the extra effort and pic.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cayenne Turbo - PDCC Rear Line Burst