Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne CTT Charging Through Tow Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 02:02 PM
ejsaenz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cayenne CTT Charging Through Tow Wiring?

I'm not a big fan of running wires on the outside of my cars possibly damaging the paint, for trickle charging via a battery tender or putting the wiring trough the seals and possibly causing them to fail prematurely.

Can I charge it via my 7 wire trailer plug?

I did a search and went thru over 100 posts but no luck. I do have voltage at the rear pins but am not sure if this may cause problems. I can solder wires to a plug I got at Walmart. I just want to make sure I don't cause problems to the CAN bus or any other systems. I really don't want to drill any holes or possibly damage rubber seals to run the wiring to the rear cig lighter. I do off orad it a bit thru mud in spring and winter so seal integrity is important to me.

Thank you in advance. It's been a while since I posted on Rennlist and your advice has been very helpful.

Ernie

Last edited by ejsaenz; 01-27-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: forgot to proofread for spelling errors.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:57 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a great idea. Looking at the diagrams, in addition to the terminals for the lights and brake there is also a 12v and gnd connection. As long as that 12v is unswitched (ie: always live) charging thru it should be no issue at all as long as you aren't pumping more current into it than it's rated for drawing out of it. Since trickle chargers usually max out at about 2a, it should be no problem at all.

Looks like the factory connector is "seven blade"
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...ng-guides.html

cheers,
c
Old 01-27-2018, 09:15 PM
ejsaenz
Pro

There is 12V there when I checked with a test light. My battery maintainer can output 4A and is switchable to 2A. I was just worried that it may affect the canbus. I guess I'll wire it tomorrow and keep my maintainer/tender at 2A.

This is the one I use:
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...and-maintainer

It has worked well on my 944 cabbie and CTT but I don't like the wires draped on the paint.

Thank you
Old 01-29-2018, 10:48 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

Get a Battery Tender. Hard wire it under the hood to the jump connections. You are done. It has a quick disconnect so you'll have no problems. You can store the connection under the panel when it is unplugged.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:16 PM
ejsaenz
Pro

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
Get a Battery Tender. Hard wire it under the hood to the jump connections. You are done. It has a quick disconnect so you'll have no problems. You can store the connection under the panel when it is unplugged.
how do I keep the wires from rubbing on the paint as it sits outside in the wind?

No matter where I connect I would have to run the wires out a gasket and along the paint that way. I don't want to damage the paint or place undue pressure on the seals that way. It gets a bit windy in my area and font want the paint worn out by the rubbing and I drive it only on weekends if that much due to driving a company vehicle. A bit nitpicky but it's still a concern for me. The less damage I create, the better for the Cayenne.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:52 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

A quick search did not find a wiring diagram for the trailer wiring. The only thing I saw was that the positive power goes through a relay, that is probably switched with the key, otherwise someone could easily drain your battery. Because of that, you would not be able to charge through it.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:41 PM
vandal968
Pro

Originally Posted by Avec
A quick search did not find a wiring diagram for the trailer wiring. The only thing I saw was that the positive power goes through a relay, that is probably switched with the key, otherwise someone could easily drain your battery. Because of that, you would not be able to charge through it.
ejsaenz tested and got 12v at the connector with car off. I just checked with a meter on mine (2004 CTT) and I also have 12v with the car off as-well. It will work. If there's a relay, then it's in a status that leaves that + terminal on the trailer hitch connected to the battery.

cheers,
c
Old 01-30-2018, 08:25 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

The module listed as the trailer connection device has battery voltage directly to it from fuse #19 (25 or 30A).

Fuse 19 gets its power from the battery rail which is always hot.

Pull that fuse and check the voltage at the hitch to confirm its the correct line. The brake booster gets its power from the same circuit.

The connector pin is C10 red/wht but the diagram does not indicate which or where this connector is located.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:38 AM
ejsaenz
Pro

Originally Posted by v10rick
The module listed as the trailer connection device has battery voltage directly to it from fuse #19 (25 or 30A).

Fuse 19 gets its power from the battery rail which is always hot.

Pull that fuse and check the voltage at the hitch to confirm its the correct line. The brake booster gets its power from the same circuit.

The connector pin is C10 red/wht but the diagram does not indicate which or where this connector is located.
Awesome! Thank you for that information! Tomorrow I'll install the male plug and verify the screw connectors. With the trailer diagrams I have. This is a much better alternative for me to keep my 04 CTT on a battery tender.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:36 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ejsaenz

how do I keep the wires from rubbing on the paint as it sits outside in the wind?

No matter where I connect I would have to run the wires out a gasket and along the paint that way. I don't want to damage the paint or place undue pressure on the seals that way. It gets a bit windy in my area and font want the paint worn out by the rubbing and I drive it only on weekends if that much due to driving a company vehicle. A bit nitpicky but it's still a concern for me. The less damage I create, the better for the Cayenne.
Oh, I didn't realize you were storing the car outside. I just leave my hood popped and then tuck the wires in when I want to drive.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:20 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Awesome! Thank you for that information! Tomorrow I'll install the male plug and verify the screw connectors. With the trailer diagrams I have. This is a much better alternative for me to keep my 04 CTT on a battery tender.
I'd be very careful about doing this. The Cayenne (and all modern Porsches) are very sensitive to current flow and the control modules fry very, very easily. The battery terminals or power outlets are all I would EVER use for charging.

Cheers,
Tom F
Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 PM
vandal968
Pro

Originally Posted by TomF
The battery terminals or power outlets are all I would EVER use for charging.

Cheers,
Tom F
It IS a power outlet.

cheers,
c
Old 02-01-2018, 08:43 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by vandal968
It IS a power outlet.

cheers,
c
LOL. I should have read v10rick's post more carefully! "Fuse 19 gets its power from the battery rail which is always hot..."

Cheers,
TomF
Old 12-18-2020, 03:33 PM
ejsaenz
Pro

I apologize for the late reply. Here are my results:

I wired up a round trailer plug I got at walmart and using a spare 12v connector from one of my battery tenders with an old extension cord, I was able to make the external charging port with the existing tow wiring and trailer outlet.
It worked out great! No issues and it kept my battery topped off.

Thank you all for your help. I've since sold the Cayenne and put all the money into much neglected maintenance on my 944 S2 Cabriolet.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:51 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

I apologize for the late reply.
penance free sin

Quick Reply: Cayenne CTT Charging Through Tow Wiring?