04 955 Transfer case motor + computer recall/TSB

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:27 AM
Lukas
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 955 Transfer case motor + computer recall/TSB

Hi guys,

>Decade long avid reader and follower, time for my first active post on the forum.

For the last year I have occasionally been getting the "4WD system defective" warning on our 2004 Cayenne S, without any noticeable problems during regular driving so far. I had the dealer check it out at the last service and he wants to change the transfer case motor + corresponding computer, to the tune of about $2000.

I have now googled the problem and it seems common with 03 and 04 CS models, and there is a TSB out named "19/10 ENU 3978", see attachment, saying the following:

"Action Required: In the event of a complaint, replace the servo motor and install a new control unit."

Does that mean Porsche will replace it on their dime because of a pre-existing design flaw and the consequent introduction of an updated part, and has anybody gotten the repair done at no cost?

Cheers for any advice!

Lukas
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TSB Servo System Defect.pdf (191.1 KB, 185 views)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

No - a TSB that appears when the car is under warranty will be covered by Porsche. One that appears or is found to be applicable after warranty is paid for by you - the owner. TSB = Technical Service Bulletin - and it means exactly that. It's notification to the dealer mechanics that Porsche wants to tell them something technical. It is not the same as a recall.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:10 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Agreed. In general, manufacturers make mistakes all the time and once you're out of warranty it's your problem. Exceptions follow ...

The main exception to that is when it is a SAFETY issue, in which case, they will have a recall, regardless of warranty. So hypothetically, if your 2004 S had a defect with its fuel pump / fuel filter assembly that could cause the car interior to catch fire, that is a safety thing and Porsche would replace that at their cost (BTW, hypothetically, but also true in this case).

In some gray areas in between, where they really know it is their fault but maybe won't admit to it for fear of class action lawsuits (e.g., scored cylinder engine failures), they will do things out of goodwill, trying to maintain their brand, even though they are under no legal obligation to do so.

Also, sometimes there is a class action lawsuit and as part of a settlement, they agree to do things beyond warranty expiration.

Just because there is a TSB does not mean they are taking any responsibility for it. The TSB is instructions to help their own service centers solve the problem uniformly and better. I did not see it on that TSB, but on other brand TSB's it is common to see the wording, "Normal warranty applies," meaning if you're out of warranty, there is no warranty and no help from the manufacturer.

So you can ask, but don't expect positive results.

EDIT - and I just noticed you're in Austria. Everything I'm talking about here is based on laws and procedures in the USA. So YMMV. Good luck.

And on a problem like that on a truck that old (same as mine), I'd ask them what is the worst thing that could happen if you do nothing, or if there are any preventative measures to take to extend the time before something actually breaks.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Lukas,

As mentioned above, the TSB is as described.and the repair does resolve the faulty PSM & 4wd error. I swapped out the servo and controller a few years ago following the TSB. New servo about $250 at the time and bought the controller on eBay for not a lot of money about $75..

Used control units now are about ~$50 USD now. (I bought this control unit: 0AD927755AM)
New stepper motors (non-Porsche branded) vary in price (~$220 - $500). It's the same one used in the Touareg, surprise! ( 0AD341601C) The C is the latest and is specified to be the one you want.

The repair is straightforward. Remove old control unit and install new one under passenger seat. Crawl under car and remove and replace the servo/stepper motor and you're done. No coding needed. Maybe an hour? The stepper motor was a little bit of a pain in the butt, but manageable.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:17 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 06 V8 S

06 S with 198k miles
1. Coolant pipes (got some money back in the lawsuit)
2. Cardan shaft - used the vertex aftermarket brace and never had another issue
3. Air compressor rebuild
4. Hatch struts - like 4x
5. Air suspension warning- started around 60k, never able to fix despite replacing 2 sensors- also never an issue mechanically
6. Radio reprogram x 2
7. Sticky radio ***** - pretty much every porsche
8. Various interior parts like seatbacks spontaneously ejecting - common porsche glue issue
9. Headlight seals going bad x 3
10. Headlight flicker - was intermittent and had not become a failure yet
11. Recently a cable in the sunroof just spontaneously snapped (sunroof not used much)
12. Coolant reservoir
13. I think I’m forgetting a couple common known issues but nothing major.

Quick Reply: 04 955 Transfer case motor + computer recall/TSB