Sponsored by:

Headlights: Halogens to HID's

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 11:34 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights: Halogens to HID's

Anybody know if the system in a 06S will take a set of HIDs if originally equipped with the base halogens? Owned an 06 that I bought new -- it was totaled in a fire ... but I have the full HID headlights from that car and the winter set of rims. Thinking of buying a replacement as a second car to leave at my winter place and some I see don't have the HID's. Ideally an S or GTS w/ lowish miles 70k ...great conditions. Have found a couple one owners that fit the bill -- but they are all 6cyl .... want the 8.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:10 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

They may work - but you will get error messages. The halogens are likely not leveling - which the HID's are. The current draw on the halogen vs HID may trigger bulb out warnings. Dunno on wiring compatibility - that would take studying a wiring diagram or two for an hour or so.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:58 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

With most cars the wires for additional options are all there -- Know with Porsche they can somehow build each vehicle specific. Even the Japanese don't go that route. Figured at some point someone on here tried. Don't remember the HID's being a option on my 06 S .. but, they must have been because I have run into some w/o.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
With most cars the wires for additional options are all there -- Know with Porsche they can somehow build each vehicle specific. Even the Japanese don't go that route. Figured at some point someone on here tried. Don't remember the HID's being a option on my 06 S .. but, they must have been because I have run into some w/o.
Actually - all the German cars do it that way. The computer tells the wiring harness machine what the selected options on the vehicle were and the wiring harness machine builds the harness to order. They've been doing this for at least 20 years that I know of.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Sandow
Track Day

Not sure if anyone else here has played with them but the LED bulbs are now so vastly superior to HIDs that going from halogen to HIDs seems like madness. I swapped my high beams and fog lights out for LEDs with braided copper heat sinks and they are magnificent. I wish my car didn't have the frankly terrible HIDs because it is a much greater effort to rewire those for LED. The voltages are all different and the control is through relays so messing with it will certainly through errors. With the fog lights on, my viewing distance just about doubles. With the high beams on I usually am not in a situation where driving speed is limited by visibility. I'm kind of thinking of upgrading the cornering lights as those are now the weak link.

I used these for the high beam:
Amazon Amazon

And these for the fog lights:
Amazon Amazon

There are better options for lights now that when I did so just look around for well reviewed parts.

They don't throw errors because their amp draw is the same as the stock light, they are just using that same current to output more light.

-Sandow

Quick Reply: Headlights: Halogens to HID's