Sponsored by:

Porsche Composite waterpump pulley failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 12:16 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Porsche Composite waterpump pulley failure

I just had the “guinuine Porsche” composite waterpump pulley fail. I had about 1500 miles on the new belt/waterpump/pulleys. I plan to use an aftermarket Aluminum pulley this time. What a “guinuine” JOKE.

Oh and and no I did not over tighten the 3 bolts. Most of the failure is at the outer area just inside the belt tracking portion.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:27 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

You don't become the most profitable car company in world by making quality products.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:41 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

That pulley needs to be replaced every time the water pump and serpentine belt is done... otherwise, the pulley "grows teeth" and will gnarl-up the serp in no time flat.

A heavy metal pulley is NOT the answer...
Old 11-21-2018, 07:40 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Originally Posted by Dilberto
That pulley needs to be replaced every time the water pump and serpentine belt is done... otherwise, the pulley "grows teeth" and will gnarl-up the serp in no time flat.

A heavy metal pulley is NOT the answer...
The pully was replaced...a whopping 1500 miles ago. Worked wonderful until it shttered like a clay pigeon. Probably designed by the same wizard that put plastic coolant pipes on the car. You sticking with the plastic coolant pipes?
Old 11-21-2018, 11:19 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

This is not an isolated case. We have seen others who have thrown/shredded belts from the water pump pulley fragging. When I recently removed my water pump pulley to replace all the parts on the front of the engine, the old pulley was quite brittle and went kind of like this:

Old 11-21-2018, 11:50 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Originally Posted by nodoors
This is not an isolated case. We have seen others who have thrown/shredded belts from the water pump pulley fragging. When I recently removed my water pump pulley to replace all the parts on the front of the engine, the old pulley was quite brittle and went kind of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqZWsJ2oO_E
brittle is a great word for it. The thing is maybe 2 months old. The 3 large pieces that I retrieved were just that......hard and brittle. Almost the consistency of shale rock. Dense but crumbly. Of course when it went it damaged the tensioner pulley and gouged the new belt. I have looked at all the other engines Porsche offered in their other cars from the same year.....as well as the nnewer model cayennes. They all use METAL.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:01 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

The aluminum pulley is actually cheaper than the plastic one. Seems like a no brainier to me. I wonder if Porsche will refund your money on the OEM one that failed?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hamburg-...810609001~ham/
Old 11-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

If its a Porsche OEM part, it should have a 2 year warranty.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:52 PM
PartsGuyGT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DIYDanCars
The aluminum pulley is actually cheaper than the plastic one. Seems like a no brainier to me. I wonder if Porsche will refund your money on the OEM one that failed?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hamburg-...810609001~ham/
I try and avoid anything Hamburg Technic like the plague. But that's just me. I'd replace it with an OE one.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:59 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqZWsJ2oO_E
Hilarious. "one of a kind piece ... no other one like it in the world ..." Yep, I saw that one coming a mile away. And the host's reaction is pure savage.

Lots of interesting info in this thread. I too have sworn off Hamburg Technic (100% pure Chinese, in case you are thrown off by the name they chose, which should be a clue as to their honesty). But something like an Aluminum pulley - really not much to go wrong there. But I still would stay away from them.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:10 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PartsGuyGT
I try and avoid anything Hamburg Technic like the plague. But that's just me. I'd replace it with an OE one.
So do I, but it's a simple pulley made out of aluminum. What could really go wrong? As for longevity, I would put my money on that aluminum pulley over the OEM plastic one every time. Sometimes for simple things like this, choice of materials is more important than a brand name.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:17 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Hilarious. "one of a kind piece ... no other one like it in the world ..." Yep, I saw that one coming a mile away. And the host's reaction is pure savage.

Lots of interesting info in this thread. I too have sworn off Hamburg Technic (100% pure Chinese, in case you are thrown off by the name they chose, which should be a clue as to their honesty). But something like an Aluminum pulley - really not much to go wrong there. But I still would stay away from them.
Savage! It cracks me up every time. "Apparently we are REALLY done with that one."

If knew there was a chinese aluminum pulley, I probably would have tried it. I will take a minor balance issue over having a cheap plastic pulley grenade every time. I have balanced enough props from 5cm to 140cm that I am pretty sure I could get check it quickly and get it dialed in if it arrived poorly made.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:19 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by DIYDanCars
So do I, but it's a simple pulley made out of aluminum. What could really go wrong?
Hopefully we won't be seeing your "what went wrong" Youtube video

Old 11-21-2018, 03:26 PM
DIYDanCars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Libast
Hopefully we won't be seeing your "what went wrong" Youtube video

My car is already on it's third OE plastic water pump pulley and the car hasn't even hit 80k miles. How much worse can it get?

If I would of known there was a metal water pump pulley available, I definitely would of went that route.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:57 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

This is crazy. I am still on my original which I assume is @ least 8 years old with @ least 115k miles. It even had a chip out of one of the edges and in the middle bore hole. I just radiused them off to get rid of stress risers and have not had any issue. Maybe the plastic formula changed once the Cayenne was an established seller for Porsche.

Quick Reply: Porsche Composite waterpump pulley failure