Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ney Keyless Remote - Why can't we use a pre-owned one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 01:03 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There was a locksmith that said they could do the blank keys. My local non-dealer porsche shop warned me off of them so I just ordered a key from the mother ship. Got a little bit better deal going thru local indepented that ordered from Porsche.

Foreward to last week asked dealer about using non-factory ordered keys. Said if I could find someone to cut it, they would attempt to code the key for $140. No guarantees and they have not had much luck doing it.

The locksmith that had said they could do it said their guy that could do it is not there any more.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:49 AM
adie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar issue, I had a key stolen so in order to make that key useless I had to get a new key, take the spare key to a re programmer (non-porsche) and have them both re-coded in order to exclude the old key. He said he could not overwrite a previously written key but can include a key already programmed to that car/immobilizer. Cost was around $300 for the new key and reprogramming. and cutting of a new blade.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:06 PM
Baxter1949
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased a 2018 Targa GTS from a dealer out of state , when I tried the second FOB it did not work and the key blade does not open the door. The dealer sent me the wrong FOB and is trying to located the correct FOB, In the meantime I contacted the Porsche dealer here in S. Florida and asked if dealer that purchased the car from can not find the correct fob, can you program the one I have, They said no, that I would have to purchased a new one for about $600. Is this sure what they are telling me. Thank you
Old 02-15-2019, 10:23 PM
Baxter1949
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer found FOB Today.. Thanks,
Old 02-16-2019, 02:22 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

I think you've found your way to the wrong forum, unless somehow Porsche made a Targa Cayenne in 2018, but I think I might have heard if they did.. not knowing the series of your Targa I can't even move this to the correct forum. Bummer.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:34 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ney Keyless Remote - Why can't we use a pre-owned one? Because you can't, thats why. When one of these keys, or any Porsche remote since 996 is programmed to a vehicle, that is the only vehicle that remote will ever work with. When the programming is done you're not only pairing the remote to the vehicle but the vehicle to the remote. Like some people have mentioned in a specific case a remote can be "reprogrammed", but only to the same vehicle it was originally programmed to. So for instance if you think you lost a remote and you bought a new one and had it programmed. Then a month (or 5 years for that matter I doen't make a difference) later your find the remote you thought you had lost. On all models 9PA and later, all remotes have to be present at the time of programming so after you got the new key programed, the one you thought you lost would no longer work. BUT you could take the remote you thought you lost along with all of your other remotes back to the dealer and it could be reprogrammed to work again but thats only because it was already programmed at one point in the past. So no this is not a case of you can actually program a random used ebay remote from one vehicle to another but the dealer doesn't want to do it because they would be losing the profits on the sale of a new remote, its the case of it is simply not doable with the factory tools and methods.

Now as these cars get older and people and technology move forward some people are doing things outside of the scope of what is/was possible using the factory tools and methods. There are people using very specialized computer tools working to try and understand and change the inner workings of the immobilizer system and do things outside of what Porsche originally intended, kind of like the guys that can now program the 9PA ELVs outside of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Ney Keyless Remote - Why can't we use a pre-owned one?