Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ney Keyless Remote - Why can't we use a pre-owned one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 05:17 PM
ReducedSpeedAhd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ney Keyless Remote - Why can't we use a pre-owned one?

I have a LIKE NEW Cayenne remote that I got from a buddy, same part #, everything. The dealer is telling me I can't reprogram it. Once it's coded that's it. I was going to have the local locksmith cut a new blade and use the remote, but apparently our only option is NEW for $500+

is this true???
Old 11-20-2018, 08:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Yes. Perhaps you can transfer the case and blade to your old one.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:11 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't think the case cane be opened up without being destroyed or significantly damaged - it's all glued together with some strong epoxies in the case of the Cayenne fob. You can find some videos on youtube.

Just about the only thing you'd be able to salvage would be the button covers (including the red one on the side that likes to fall off after a while), as these do wear over time.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:55 AM
peppapig
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ReducedSpeedAhd
The dealer is telling me I can't reprogram it. Once it's coded that's it. is this true???
I am not sure that that is strictly true.

A few months ago I lost (mislaid!) one of my keys for my 2009 GTS. After a couple of weeks being unable to find it, I took the plunge and ordered a new key. With only one key, I was scared of the effect if I mislaid that one as well.

When the new key arrived, the dealer took my remaining old key and the new key and coded them both (with a new code) to the car. So the old key was recoded!

What the dealer does appear to have the facility to do, is to remove a key permanently from the system. In the event of a key being stolen or permanently lost, then the system can be instructed never, ever to recognise that key again. Apparently that instruction can never be overidden.

As an aside, $500+ does seem high. My new key was £305 (currently about $366) including the coding, and that includes our UK VAT tax of 20%! £254 without the tax.

peppapig
Old 11-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I opened mine up and put it in a new case with no issues. Took patience but it worked. Just transferred my guts and blade over.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by peppapig
I am not sure that that is strictly true.

A few months ago I lost (mislaid!) one of my keys for my 2009 GTS. After a couple of weeks being unable to find it, I took the plunge and ordered a new key. With only one key, I was scared of the effect if I mislaid that one as well.

When the new key arrived, the dealer took my remaining old key and the new key and coded them both (with a new code) to the car. So the old key was recoded!

What the dealer does appear to have the facility to do, is to remove a key permanently from the system. In the event of a key being stolen or permanently lost, then the system can be instructed never, ever to recognise that key again. Apparently that instruction can never be overidden.

As an aside, $500+ does seem high. My new key was £305 (currently about $366) including the coding, and that includes our UK VAT tax of 20%! £254 without the tax.

peppapig
The difference here is IMPORTANT (before people go on ebay buying useless key fobs) - the OLD KEY that you had matched to the car was NOT recoded. What did happen was the dealer told the ECU to recognize a key which had originally been coded to that ECU and that VIN#.

BIG difference between that and any odd one off ebay or wherever.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:36 PM
peppapig
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The difference here is IMPORTANT (before people go on ebay buying useless key fobs) - the OLD KEY that you had matched to the car was NOT recoded. What did happen was the dealer told the ECU to recognize a key which had originally been coded to that ECU and that VIN#.

I may well have used the wrong wording, but all I could do is report what happened and what I was told.

I would add that I subsequently found the other original key and the dealer said that they could do nothing with it. When the new key and the other old key were "made to match" the car, the key that I 'mislaid' was eliminated from the Porsche system. It had become merely, to use their words, a paperweight. They could do nothing with it!

Furthermore a decision was later made to get another new key because I liked the idea of having a third key. When that key arrived from Porsche, all the keys (except the previously mislaid one) had to be at the dealer at the same time to have "something" done to them. The dealer described it as coding them.

peppapig
Old 11-21-2018, 08:00 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

When the remotes are coded it doesn't matter if they are previously used or new. The ebay remotes work fine. I have programmed quite a few. When remotes are coded all that will be used must be present as they are all unpaired and repaired to the system. You don't just add a remote, you program ALL the remotes.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:44 PM
ReducedSpeedAhd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super good point. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2018, 09:44 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

When I bought my 2005 used it only came with the valet key. A couple of weeks later the used car non-Porsche dealer I bought it from sent me two blank blade key fobs. Local dealer does not have a key cutter. Told me if I could get them cut they would "try" to pair the new key fobs for $140, but have not had much luck getting them to pair. Checked several local key makers and none could copy the valet key to open the door so did not trust them to the blank remote keys. Since no-one could cut blanks went ahead and bought the $500 key thru Porsche. Still have the blank key fobs.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
When I bought my 2005 used it only came with the valet key. A couple of weeks later the used car non-Porsche dealer I bought it from sent me two blank blade key fobs. Local dealer does not have a key cutter. Told me if I could get them cut they would "try" to pair the new key fobs for $140, but have not had much luck getting them to pair. Checked several local key makers and none could copy the valet key to open the door so did not trust them to the blank remote keys. Since no-one could cut blanks went ahead and bought the $500 key thru Porsche. Still have the blank key fobs.
So you were not able to get a non-Porsche dealer to code the fobs to the car, right?

In the last "key" thread, you seemed to say that you had been able to, and I asked you about that. Don't know if you didn't see it, but you didn't respond.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-straight.html

Post 6 is where I asked.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:43 PM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
When the remotes are coded it doesn't matter if they are previously used or new. The ebay remotes work fine. I have programmed quite a few. When remotes are coded all that will be used must be present as they are all unpaired and repaired to the system. You don't just add a remote, you program ALL the remotes.
Not sure on this... everything I have seen in researching this, and confirmed by two local dealers, is that when they request a key from Germany, the Chips ID is assigned to the VIN.. with out this in place my understanding is that they cannot just code the key to the vehicle at the dealership. It needs verification through the Porsche System (not just the car itself)

I do understand there is a capability in the Car's system to accept one remote fob as an emergency, but this can only be done once and doesn't start the car, because it doesn't have the chip coded to the vehicle.

A lot of this was covered in the other thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-straight.html
Old 11-22-2018, 11:05 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MKITGO2
Not sure on this... everything I have seen in researching this, and confirmed by two local dealers, is that when they request a key from Germany, the Chips ID is assigned to the VIN.. with out this in place my understanding is that they cannot just code the key to the vehicle at the dealership. It needs verification through the Porsche System (not just the car itself)

I do understand there is a capability in the Car's system to accept one remote fob as an emergency, but this can only be done once and doesn't start the car, because it doesn't have the chip coded to the vehicle.

A lot of this was covered in the other thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-straight.html
This is what I know. I have a genuine PIWIS. I have coded many keys. Some of them were claimed to be secondhand and looked like it. Many of them were ebay china remotes. As for the china remote key blades one project owner told me that the china key blade metal messed up his locksmiths cutting machine. A recent project told me that it didn't fit his smith's machine right but they were able to cut the pattern correctly and touch up a few spots with a hand file. Those keys worked as well. Not one of them was I unable to program. When a key is ordered from Germany it comes with the blade cut and the vin is used to know the pattern for that vin from records. The pairing still takes place with a PIWIS @ the shop. I have a manual excerpt here that also says that the key can only be paired to one system but I find that not to be true. However, if Corporate publishes that and the techs follow it then who is to question the validity of a revenue generating process? Remember that Porsche is one of those companies that wont release any more of their diagnostic software than the law provides for, which is currently limited to OBD specific matters. I can promise you that at least new remotes and china remotes are able to be paired without problem. As for used keys I do not have irrefutable proof for you. Most dealers will not install non Porsche parts. My local won't install Porsche parts that were not purchased from Porsche or them. Most dealers will not touch a china remote. I hope you see the pattern.

There is some aftermarket software that will program Porsche keys. Those utilities are very expensive and usually Porsche specific. Unless you are a smith who does lots of Porsche then its not likely to be had, it just is not cost effective for the limited number of Porsche customers most smiths will see.

The biggest problem with the Cayenne is the abundance of misinformation and horror stories, and the lack of published tech info, diagnostic software, and fact.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:26 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

These two points are mutually exclusive.

Peppapig has direct, first-hand info to his. Deilenberger, did you go through the key recoding processing and have a different result? The fact that Peppapig was required to have all keys present (and presumably the car) would indicate that all keys, and the car are REprogrammed simultaneously.
Originally Posted by peppapig
I would add that I subsequently found the other original key and the dealer said that they could do nothing with it. When the new key and the other old key were "made to match" the car, the key that I 'mislaid' was eliminated from the Porsche system. It had become merely, to use their words, a paperweight. They could do nothing with it!

Furthermore a decision was later made to get another new key because I liked the idea of having a third key. When that key arrived from Porsche, all the keys (except the previously mislaid one) had to be at the dealer at the same time to have "something" done to them. The dealer described it as coding them.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:31 AM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
The biggest problem with the Cayenne is the abundance of misinformation and horror stories, and the lack of published tech info, diagnostic software, and fact.
Totally agree with you on this... like I said in my post, my knowledge was based on what I could find and confirm with 'topic experts' (dealer and tech) and what made sense to me.

Thanks for the extra Detail in explaining your situation.. its not something many on here take the time to do, and it makes all the difference.. The fact that you have access to PIWIS puts you in a very small percentage of us Enthusiasts who don't have the privileged to access that system and that explains a lot about what you've been able to accomplish.

Sounds to me, for those looking to add or replace keys and save a buck, having a dealer/tech that is willing to cooperate and try something that the Manual and the Mothership say is a no-no will be the linch pin to success.

From a business stand point, I understand Porsche's position on the parts origins, and their willingness to work with them or not... it's liability and self preservation along with getting paid for your R&D and technology... I get it, doesn't mean I love the price tag they have assigned to it all.

MK

Quick Reply: Ney Keyless Remote - Why can't we use a pre-owned one?