Sponsored by:

'06 TitS PCM All functions work - video issues. Reboots and works sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 05:11 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '06 **** PCM All functions work - video issues. Reboots and works sometimes

Hello P!g owners: Long time member/user... joined when LTC, MudMan2, EnigmaWmn, Rome, skl, Alex911S, JFScheck, Droptop, JW3, and I were just babes 1/2005. Owned a "Beta" 04, upgraded to my current '06 ****. I have only 130K miles on it as I split driving time with a 911Targa that I sold (killed me) about 18 months ago. The Cayenne has been good to me BUT.. at 13 years, it has finally started to show its age... a little disappointing frankly, Rear Hatch struts don't hold open, headliner hanging down cargo area, paint on roof center is flaky, seatbelt plastic mostly broken, blah blah blah.

All of that was fine and was going to keep but now am looking to sell it (not trade) before needing tires, brakes, and a battery and NOW... because DAMMIT!!! the PCM started acting up. As LTC and I used to say, STFT. search the freakin' thread... before posting. So, I have spent the better part of two hours, reading threads. Dealer thinks its probably the motherboard and says $3000 to replace. I'm dubious of that... here's what the exact situation is: PCM totally reboots on occasion and 1 in 10 to 20 times it works and the video is like normal. I have the mobridge installed with an iPod, and a Titanium S has the NAV. All FUNCTIONS works fine except the video. It will not advance pass the logo however in the background is the other screens (see pics). ANYONE HAVE THIS ISSUE? is it strictly the video chip, or the entire motherboard. I'm not a DIY type of guy. a. don't have to tools b. don't have the patience c. i'm an engineer, fly boy that understands all of it but worked in non-technical fields and never have done car work. What say the all knowing - all wise members of the Cayenne P!gPen society?

And hello to all the old-timers -- I sold my biz but will work at something new (can't retire, wouldn't anyway). I won't be consumed 24/7 like I was the past 10 years. H E L P --- a brother out! The vehicle isn't worth much more than $6K or so. can't and won't put $6K into it with tires, brakes, battery, and then a PCM too. If LTC is still around he'll recommend it as a bass "home" at the bottom of a lake! THANKS, all opinions welcome.

MadFox, Rennlist User (membership died) since 1/2005
USNR, Retired, Cayenne Original Purplesaurus Rex Bartender
2002 911 Targa (Sold) 2004 Cayenne S (Sold) 2006 Cayenne Tit.S (Held too long!)
Old 02-02-2019, 05:28 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Two choices I see - replacement Android based system (lots of threads on that - some complexity installing it, and they aren't all bug-free) or send it to Becker Auto Sound in NJ who repairs them. https://www.beckerautosound.com/repairs
Specifically: https://www.beckerautosound.com/porsche

I seem to recall numbers like $500 for repairing one. I'm sure given your description they can give you a fairly accurate estimate - nothing new under the sun when it comes to failure modes.. They are quite simple to remove and replace.

The only downside to this is you're still left with 13 year old navigation.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Designer
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

MadFox – While I can't help with a remedy, it's good to hear from our official bartender again!
I miss the old crew. Everyone is so serious now!
Old 02-27-2019, 09:37 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Sir! Been a long time... it appears many have "disappeared". I am looking at shipping the unit to the "fixer". I can't get jack for the car with the PCM on the "fritz" (german pun intended!).
Old 07-31-2019, 08:14 PM
Stone43
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So MadFox, what was the outcome here? I too left the forum for years but as dumb luck would have it, I bought another old (cheap) cayenne as a second car, still love much about it, but like you, after a couple of months my PCM is acting up. Some days it won't work at all. Some days it will take its time, turn on and work wonderfully. Until I stop, shut off the car, go back to it and nothing. Yesterday it randomly came to life and gave me a "cd changer, amplifier not found error message."
Old 08-01-2019, 01:44 PM
Stone43
Racer

FWIW, I reached out to Becker via the link provided above and was quoted $550-$650 to repair. I was quoted something similar by a company here in California. I stopped by a local radio shop and was quoted $1,100 for a replacement head (the cheapest part of the quote), wiring harness ($650????), new amp, faceplate and install, out the door. To buy a used one is risky and about the same cost as repairing one.

And now I ask myself, why am I back here again?? And I have also started playing golf again. I think I see a pattern forming.....
Old 08-03-2019, 11:28 AM
Oahni
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey stone, madfox,
I sold my Titanium S last month and have the original pcm for sale:
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1152163

PM me if interested.

Thank you,
Oahni
Old 08-03-2019, 02:42 PM
Stone43
Racer

Sent you a PM

Quick Reply: '06 TitS PCM All functions work - video issues. Reboots and works sometimes