Sponsored by:

Diagnostic Tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:47 AM
tappets
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NelaK
I think I understand your issue now. The link that you posted is NOT for the iCarScan tool. It is a replacement bluetooth adapter for their other professional line tools. That is probably why they were asking for the serial number. That adapter will require you to have one of the dedicated tablet scan tool devices that a professional mechanic's shop might purchase.
Yes correct.........I was inadvertently directed to a site that sold that type of tool which I was unaware of it's requirements ie Tablet/serial numbers etc. (My own fault for rushing & not doing enough research as new to this tool) Now have it sorted and on to the tool I was looking for which is identical to yours. Thanks for your help. Now I just have to get it shipped from China!
Old 06-29-2019, 02:59 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone confirm the I-Carsoft POR 2 resets the transmission adaptation?
Old 07-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Kirk Danielson
Intermediate

I have the NT520 Pro set up for the 955. I just reset my service interval and the service now announcement went away. I just started playing with it, so will see what Elise I can do with it.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Kirk Danielson
Intermediate

I have the NT520 Pro set up for the 955. I just reset my service interval and the service now announcement went away. I just started playing with it, so will see what Elise I can do with it.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:28 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I was going to invest in a Durametric, but after reading this and doing some extra research, it looks like the Foxwell NT520 is the better bet for many reasons. I have a VW and a GM so it appears I could just purchase the additional SD cards/software for those vehicles that way I could do them all?
Old 11-05-2019, 03:05 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x431 has been a life saver for me. has done just about everything I needed. get to pick 10 manufacturers, so can handle other cars as well.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:26 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetskillsrk
I was going to invest in a Durametric, but after reading this and doing some extra research, it looks like the Foxwell NT520 is the better bet for many reasons. I have a VW and a GM so it appears I could just purchase the additional SD cards/software for those vehicles that way I could do them all?
Yes, you could, but some comments on that ...

The Foxwell is also a generic OBDII scanner. So the one you have right now, with the Porsche software, can do regular OBDII stuff on any OBDII car, working right up there with the best of the generic OBDII tools. So you might wait until you find a special need for the specialized software on your GM or VW before actually buying that. My understanding is that the relative utility varies between manufacturers. So for example, I have the BMW, Porsche, and Honda ones. The BMW one really does a lot, and the Honda relatively little. For example "active tests" of AC, lighting, HVAC, etc. varies between manufacturers. So I'd check to see whether the GM and VW are capable - they all cost the same (~$60) whether they do a lot or a little.

The other comment is that you might think about whether it makes sense to load multiple cars onto one scanner vs. buying multiple scanners. I did the latter, and leave them in their respective cars.
  • I figure the one time I need it on the road may make it worth it.
  • Also, what if the hardware fails (or lost, stolen, lent out and never returned, etc.)? I don't know if I could relocate the software to a new unit if that happens.
  • Finally, one day, I may sell my BMW or Honda (never the Porsche, of course), and I'd be able to sell the unit or give it along with the car, vs. having software loaded that is no longer any use to me.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Freebird
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried the Foxwell
NT530? NT530?
Supposedly it's a new and improved version of the 520 for $169
Old 11-05-2019, 05:37 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Yes, you could, but some comments on that ...

The Foxwell is also a generic OBDII scanner. So the one you have right now, with the Porsche software, can do regular OBDII stuff on any OBDII car, working right up there with the best of the generic OBDII tools. So you might wait until you find a special need for the specialized software on your GM or VW before actually buying that. My understanding is that the relative utility varies between manufacturers. So for example, I have the BMW, Porsche, and Honda ones. The BMW one really does a lot, and the Honda relatively little. For example "active tests" of AC, lighting, HVAC, etc. varies between manufacturers. So I'd check to see whether the GM and VW are capable - they all cost the same (~$60) whether they do a lot or a little.

The other comment is that you might think about whether it makes sense to load multiple cars onto one scanner vs. buying multiple scanners. I did the latter, and leave them in their respective cars.
  • I figure the one time I need it on the road may make it worth it.
  • Also, what if the hardware fails (or lost, stolen, lent out and never returned, etc.)? I don't know if I could relocate the software to a new unit if that happens.
  • Finally, one day, I may sell my BMW or Honda (never the Porsche, of course), and I'd be able to sell the unit or give it along with the car, vs. having software loaded that is no longer any use to me.
Oh, so the Durametric will do the basics on any other manufacturer as well? I guess I just can't see spending $600 on the Durametric (I'm going to own more Porsches in the future so I'm not just going to get the 3 VIN version) for no extra capabilities over a Foxwell that's cheaper, has no VIN constraints, and could work for my other vehicles too. There's just so many options that the waters are quite muddy for me now, haha. I'm all about saving money, but I'm not going to buy junk, so I want a quality option that's going to help with working on the Cayenne primarily. It looks like the Foxwell can do SOME coding as well so I just don't see where I'm gaining anything with the Durametric? The X431 looks like it can do it all for every car, but it's a bit of an overkill for a one man, one family DIYer. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:17 AM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Oh, so the Durametric will do the basics on any other manufacturer as well? I guess I just can't see spending $600 on the Durametric (I'm going to own more Porsches in the future so I'm not just going to get the 3 VIN version) for no extra capabilities over a Foxwell that's cheaper, has no VIN constraints, and could work for my other vehicles too. There's just so many options that the waters are quite muddy for me now, haha. I'm all about saving money, but I'm not going to buy junk, so I want a quality option that's going to help with working on the Cayenne primarily. It looks like the Foxwell can do SOME coding as well so I just don't see where I'm gaining anything with the Durametric? The X431 looks like it can do it all for every car, but it's a bit of an overkill for a one man, one family DIYer. Thanks for the input.
I don't remember Durametric having a Generic OBD2 mode, so you might want to double check that with Durametric before purchasing.
Also, I'd suggest you study Durametric's feature matrix against the vehicles you intend to use them on. I found it to be very limited on my 957 Cayenne given the price and ultimately sold it. I hear it works better on "real" Porsches, In my opinion, Durametric is an outdated cable only suitable for older Porsches, and there are better options out there for the money (I ended up with a knock-off PIWIS2 myself and like it much better, though it is very complicated to use).
Old 11-06-2019, 12:26 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Originally Posted by slavie
I don't remember Durametric having a Generic OBD2 mode, so you might want to double check that with Durametric before purchasing.
Also, I'd suggest you study Durametric's feature matrix against the vehicles you intend to use them on. I found it to be very limited on my 957 Cayenne given the price and ultimately sold it. I hear it works better on "real" Porsches, In my opinion, Durametric is an outdated cable only suitable for older Porsches, and there are better options out there for the money (I ended up with a knock-off PIWIS2 myself and like it much better, though it is very complicated to use).
Like this? I have a 955 so I think Durametric would do most things I needed, but I don't exactly want to want to spend the money when I could just pony up and practically get the real deal with the PIWIS from the link or save a ton and go with a Foxwell. The Foxwell would probably be enough for now and I could do my other vehicles with it, but I plan on taking this Cayenne WELL over 250k (now at 158k) so I'll do what's necessary to keep her on the road and running well. The other thing is, does PIWIS require a subscription? I'm not about paying a stupid amount of money for a subscription each year when I may not even use it. In a few years I'd like to add a second 944 and a second 955 to the fleet so I plan on having Porsches for a while, if a PIWIS version is my best bet, then that's what I'll do. Thanks @slavie.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:09 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Oh, so the Durametric will do the basics on any other manufacturer as well? ...
You wrote that in response to my post about the Foxwell. I don't know about the Durametric and was not talking about that at all in my post. So, no, I was not saying that the Durametric will do anything at all.

BTW, tangent on Durametric here ...
being curious about it, I saved a search on eBay for Durametric a year or two ago. Whenever one comes up for sale (about once a month or so), I get an email in the morning letting me know about it. And every single time that has happened (20+ times by now) I go to check the eBay listing and see that it sold immediately. Every single time. It makes me wonder if Durametric is buying all the used ones so they can continue to sell new ones. The consumer level ones sold new with 3 VINs usually sell with 2 VINs left for about $200. But I wonder if anyone ever tried to sell one for $500 if it would get bought.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:26 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Like this? I have a 955 so I think Durametric would do most things I needed, but I don't exactly want to want to spend the money when I could just pony up and practically get the real deal with the PIWIS from the link or save a ton and go with a Foxwell. The Foxwell would probably be enough for now and I could do my other vehicles with it, but I plan on taking this Cayenne WELL over 250k (now at 158k) so I'll do what's necessary to keep her on the road and running well. The other thing is, does PIWIS require a subscription? I'm not about paying a stupid amount of money for a subscription each year when I may not even use it. In a few years I'd like to add a second 944 and a second 955 to the fleet so I plan on having Porsches for a while, if a PIWIS version is my best bet, then that's what I'll do. Thanks @slavie.
I've been in your shoes not that long ago. I'd say you'll benefit from doing some more research before you pull the trigger. Decide what is is that you want to do with the tool. 944 is a very different beast from 955, so I'd check with 944 crowd on what they're using. 955 is covered very well by VCDS from what I hear, same for DM. It is 957 and newer where VCDS and Durametric get more and more limited for same reason - in 2008, cars moved to a new standard (even OBDII emissions testing got moved to CAN-BUS), more security, blah blah blah, and aftermarket cables are lagging behind.
PIWIS that you can buy are all knock-offs. The real deal is not sold, only leased by Porsche and come with subscription to the tune of $18k/year, but you get access to all online documentation with that (all documentation got moved online in 2008), access to updates, TSB's, everything. None of that will come with the knockoff, obviously, but neither will it come with Durametric or any of the chinese OBD tools.
Originally Posted by oldskewel
You wrote that in response to my post about the Foxwell. I don't know about the Durametric and was not talking about that at all in my post. So, no, I was not saying that the Durametric will do anything at all.

BTW, tangent on Durametric here ...
being curious about it, I saved a search on eBay for Durametric a year or two ago. Whenever one comes up for sale (about once a month or so), I get an email in the morning letting me know about it. And every single time that has happened (20+ times by now) I go to check the eBay listing and see that it sold immediately. Every single time. It makes me wonder if Durametric is buying all the used ones so they can continue to sell new ones. The consumer level ones sold new with 3 VINs usually sell with 2 VINs left for about $200. But I wonder if anyone ever tried to sell one for $500 if it would get bought.
They go in low $200's at auction all the time, so no wonder $200 BiN ones sell quickly. They pop up here in RL marketplace from time to time around same price, go quickly, too. I guess there's still decent demand for them.
I doubt there's much going on at Durametric these days - they're just riding their days into the sunset on their high horse. Last update they released to their software was in Jan '19, and they're not fixing any bugs or doing any reasonable improvements (and there are a ton of bugs). Unless I'm wrong and Durametric 2 is about to come out of the woods and they're concentrating their efforts on that? Don't think so.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:04 PM
hopsis
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm getting a Launch x431 next month. Interesting to see how that handles the 955. I'll try it out for a while and post the results here.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:00 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Originally Posted by hopsis
I'm getting a Launch x431 next month. Interesting to see how that handles the 955. I'll try it out for a while and post the results here.
Good deal, thanks @hopsis! I've heard good things about it, but yeah, my concern would be it does all vehicles ok and none of them well. There's just so many options out there and in all my research in Rennlist and the web, I'm just not impressed with the Durametric.

Quick Reply: Diagnostic Tool