Sponsored by:

Rear Wiper Arm Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 08:30 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Rear Wiper Arm Fix

While washing the pig, the wiper arm retaining/tension spring fell out of the rear wiper assembly. What I couldn’t see was that a small plastic piece that the spring attached to on one end had broken off.

This is a quick tutorial on how to replace the broken piece better than originally engineered.

Tools and Materials:
2 Medium flat head screwdrivers or if stuck, a wiper puller available online
1 mineral spirits or other cleaning solution
1 Medium Philips screwdriver
1 socket set
1 drill and smallish bits
1 JB Weld
1 Philips head metal screw
1 Dremel with cut-off wheel
1 drip of black paint
1 masking tape
1 needle nose plier
1 tube anti-seize
vice to hold wiper assembly
1 very steady hand

Remove the cover cap by pulling its sides outward. Don’t pry it off by pulling up.

The piece seen below, was carefully pried off the rear glass using two medium sized screwdrivers. The screwdrivers had to be positioned below plastic piece where the unit intersects the window mount. Gentle prying was all it took from opposite sides, but then there was no rust.

Note the worn grooves in the plastic cylinder.

After cleaning the area with mineral spirits, I mixed JB Weld and carefully filled in the major groove and a small one on the opposite side being careful to not get any where the arm hinges. The stuff should be far stronger than the original plastic.

Next I located where the missing plastic pin used to be which was between the two rectangular box structures above. If your piece is missing you will see two circular rougher areas where it attached. I then very carefully drilled a hole on what would be the bottom side of the assembly through the areas where the pin broke and almost through to the other side/top.

i then took an appropriate sized screw to the spring end and screwed it from the bottom of the piece almost through to the other side. I left 1/4” of the screw sticking out so I could later easily cut off that exposed end. The screw itself is super secure and won’t ever be coming out. Then it was just a matter of putting the other end of the spring in its receiver on the arm and fitting the two together. You can see the silver screw below

Next I took blue tape and masked the plastic around the exposed screw head to prevent nicks and marring. Using a Dremel, I cut off the screw head and added a drop of black paint to mask the silver end.

Before reinstalling, a thin film of anti-seize was applied to the bolt threads where the wiper assembly would be reattached.

The repaired piece works like a charm and the area where the screw was installed is not visible since unless you really look for it.

Repair time about 1/2 hour not counting drying time.

Last edited by RSbob; 11-14-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Nice work!
Old 02-16-2020, 07:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 344 Posts

Nice work. I can't find the part number on PET. Is a new one overly expensive?
Old 02-17-2020, 12:06 AM
RSbob
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM;[url=tel:16425822
16425822]Nice work. I can't find the part number on PET. Is a new one overly expensive?
Nah, they’re pretty cheap. Last time I checked, about $1500.00.

seriously dont know, but you can find a good knockoff for cheap on eBay or call your dealer and ask.

Last edited by RSbob; 02-18-2020 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:12 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

955 628 040 02 Rear Wiper Arm, $42.28
Old 02-18-2020, 04:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andy E.
955 628 040 02 Rear Wiper Arm, $42.28
Thanks. I didn’t realise it was the full arm. While I love DIY fixes I’ll go new at that price.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

In the end I couldn’t justify a single part order from overseas so I had a go. A windscreen wiper arm puller got the base off. I used a galvanised nail instead of a screw as I liked the idea of a smooth surface for the spring. Maybe the hardest part was getting the spring on. In the end I used a screwdriver blade inserted in the spring to get the purchase to get it into the end part. Nice fix which cost nothing.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:03 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

I had done something similar, but instead of drilling a hole I melted a metal rod into the plastic arm with a soldering iron.
Not that I'm against purchasing new parts, but I wanted this issue fixed, not extended for a few more years. If Porsche had fixed the design then maybe, but as far as I know the new part still has same design flaw.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:34 AM
RSbob
Racer

Dig the continuous improvement. A smooth pin makes great sense.

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper Arm Fix