Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 07:57 PM
whkcayenne
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portable Battery-Tender/Charger/Maintainer Options

Portable Battery-Tender/Charger/Maintainer Question:
|
Are you able to feed battery tenders/chargers/maintainers with a portable source? As in, instead of plugging the CTEK into a wall outlet, can you use a portable lithium battery pack (like the ones that jump start) as a power source? If not, what about a solar panel? [Ex: Think airport parking or private/company parking lot for an extended period of time].|
|
Seems like snowflake-optioned CTEK 7200 is the top pick (followed by CTEK 3300) and you can maintain your AGM battery with a cigarette lighter adapter (without dealing with the under-seat or under-hood connections). If so, do you know which 12v plug stays on/hot (to be able to input) after the key is out and car is locked? Also, operating temp range is -4°F to +122°F, anyone used these maintainers (CTEK or other brand) below -4°F? If temps dips below -5°F at night, does the tender just stops working or does it malfunction & blow up the battery instead ($1,800 clean up). Lastly, considering 7200 and 3300 are both AC-to-DC chargers, what would be the top pick for a DC-to-DC option (perhaps with an in-house lithium battery or a MP4 connected solar panel)? Tecmate Optimate? I should probably do some reading on what marine industry is doing but thought I'd pose this question here as well.
|
Old 02-15-2020, 12:42 AM
RSbob
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-15-2020, 02:03 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

I have a schumacher solar battery tender on my airport car. It sits for 9-10 months and starts every time. Cheap at $50 or so. Check amazon. it is underhood as disclosure. There is a lighter socket adapter but how hard is it really to open the hood and unplug the tender connector?
Old 02-18-2020, 08:48 AM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I have from a Goal Zero battery maintainer. I have to leave my pig outside and I didn't want any wires coming out of the garage, so I used the GZ solar maintainer. It also charges my GZ 400 lithium that I placed at the driver side boot compartment.

Quick Reply: Portable Battery-Tender/Charger/Maintainer Options