Sponsored by:

AT Stuck in 5th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 06:50 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AT Stuck in 5th Gear

Anyone else have their auto 955 stay in 5th gear and not downshift when slowing or stopping? Happened on the way home the other day. Pulled in to a parking lot & when I slowed to a stop it went back to 2nd. Once I pulled in to traffic & it up shifted to 5th, it stayed there again. Pulled over & shifted through the gears, and tried the Tip switches manually, nothing helped. Got it home & shifted thru the gears again which did nothing. Next day it started out in 2nd, but haven't driven it until I can get an idea of what I'm up against.

I found two old threads here about it, but they somewhat contradict the problem/solution with no confirmation of the solution. One said their tech advised it likely to be
faulty Input shaft speed sensor or Inductive Transmitter Sensor, the other had someone advise the tranny needed replaced. I researched the net too & have some leads, including the valve body, which may be the problem. Seems the valve body problem will produce hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd, which I have also experienced at times, but only when 1st starting out.

Surely there has to be a few others that have dealt with their AT 955 Pig being stuck in 5th gear over the past 14-17 years? Mine is an ‘05 S, with 127k miles. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-20-2020, 06:55 PM
brett968
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

A sensor issue would show up as a trouble code. Have you scanned for trouble codes? I suspect the issue is the valve body.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:59 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

No codes shown, sorry, meant to put that in the original post.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:54 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

have you pulled the top electrical connection on the transmission (at the back) and checked to see if the fluid is wicking up the wiring to the computer. A hint. Get the wiring harness plug removal tool. Makes pulling those plugs much easier.
No affiliation:

UTMALL Electrical Service Tool Connector Removal Tool for VAG VW Audi Porsche
by U-TOOL AUTOMOTIVE
Learn more:
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-21-2020, 12:15 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Thanks for the tips Jeff, I'll check that. If the fluid is wicking up the wiring to the computer, what's the fix for that?

Quick Reply: AT Stuck in 5th Gear