Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best scanner to buy for porsche cayenne (1st gen)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 06:46 PM
tcyman2718
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best scanner to buy for porsche cayenne (1st gen)

so i have been doing a bit of info on the first generation cayenne cause i have always wanted one and since there's an existential amount of problems with the 03-04 4.5L V8 its fallen into my price range and since im new to porsche i want to cover all the bases before buying one and what better to cover those bases than a scan tool but i can't figure out which one to buy i was looking at the icarsoft por v2.0 but would like the tool to diagnose more than just a porsche and a handful of other european cars so thats what drew me to the icarsoft pro which does porsche and basically any other car manufacturer but im worried if i get either scan tool and i cant reset the steering fault system on the cayenne i'll be stranded as i plan on buying this car in california and driving it all the way back to buffalo,NY so basically my question is can any of these scan tools help me with this and if not which one not listed here can honrable mentions would be the autel mk808 as i was looking at that one to
Old 10-14-2020, 08:00 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 504 Likes on 347 Posts

I have both iCarscan and Durametric. I typically always use Durametric all the time.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:52 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a Foxwell NT520 Pro (3 actually, for my Porsche, BMW, and Honda - although I could have one with 3x software loads), and it seems to do what I need, which is not much so far. So it is great, easy, but mostly un-tested.

But I wanted to commend you on the plan to buy a car here in CA and drive it back to NY. I'm surprised more people don't do that. Having grown up in PA and Boston, followed by 30+ years in CA, it is amazing how differently the cars age out here. And as far as I can see, the prices don't fully reflect how much better condition the CA cars are. But I hope you've budgeted a few $k for gas money getting it home.

And BTW, I just thought of 2 reasons that CA car prices are suppressed ... one of the many areas we lead the nation in is gasoline taxes ... the other one is ridiculous regulation, insurance costs, and employment taxes, resulting in extremely high labor costs for those who don't DIY. So it may not be hard to find someone here in CA with a car in great condition who is unloading it just for those two reasons.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:21 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
I have both iCarscan and Durametric. I typically always use Durametric all the time.
I've got both, but prefer iCarScan. It's mostly because I hate lugging the laptop out to the garage. From a functional standpoint they are pretty similar, though Durametric may be a bit more obvious/intuitive.

The iCarScan is cheaper and also works on my Mercedes (5 license option).
Old 10-14-2020, 11:31 PM
tcyman2718
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Brainz
I've got both, but prefer iCarScan. It's mostly because I hate lugging the laptop out to the garage. From a functional standpoint they are pretty similar, though Durametric may be a bit more obvious/intuitive.

The iCarScan is cheaper and also works on my Mercedes (5 license option).

which Icarscan do you have though the Porsche version or the pro version?
Old 10-15-2020, 12:39 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
I also have both. The Durametric came out about a year ago when I bought the Boxster - I just was curious about the RPM range readings (not really a worry with the PDK transmission though.) Other than that - the iCarScan goes to work. Easy to connect with a cellphone and easy to transport and use. On trips, it gets tossed in the driver's door pocket just in case. So far I haven't needed to use it on the road.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:00 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by tcyman2718
which Icarscan do you have though the Porsche version or the pro version?
This looks like the current (2020) version of what I bought: https://www.obd2tool.com/goods-10333...-easydiag.html

It comes with 5 different licenses for other marques. I did Porsche, MB, VW, BMW, and Toyota as that was likely to cover anything in my extended family. Note that they stop updating the software after a year or so unless you buy again. The device still works, you just don't get all the latest updates. For cars as old as the Cayenne, I've not found that to be an issue yet.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:02 PM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Long run on sentence with no punctuation. I think I killed few brain cells while trying to read the first post
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 03:12 PM
tcyman2718
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Petrolhead_007
Long run on sentence with no punctuation. I think I killed few brain cells while trying to read the first post
yeah sorry the typing format wasn’t letting me backspace, instead it was erasing what I was typing earlier if I went to go back and re-write on my mistakes
Old 10-23-2020, 01:50 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought iCarScan. Have ended up using it on my 2 Cayennes (Base/CTT). Bought additional downloads for my Tahoe/FJ. It's very helpful when you try to self diagnosis and trouble shoot.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:08 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

I started to type "I use iCarScan," until I realized I use iCarSoft.

I keep the OBD cable connected and coiled around my steering column.
Whenever something exciting happens trouble-wise (rarely now-a-days) I can reach behind the seat for the tool in its zipper case and plug it up while driving.

The software could be written a bit better to save time, but so far it's worked for me. I've been able to:
  • scan and reset airbag codes
  • troubleshoot air suspension, tiptronic, PSM, and other issues related to bad wiring under the carpet
  • troubleshoot a crankshaft position sensor (I think)
  • track down vacuum leaks
  • realize I had bad coils
  • check battery voltage and sensor readouts
  • reset stuff
One of the things I hate is how the auto/manual is a joke unless I'm using it wrong.
Since there are dozens of things to test that come up with a communications error, the auto scan mode will waste like 3 minutes of your time only to spit out a communications error if memory serves.
So you have to hunt and peck through all possible systems to narrow down problems.

Otherwise it works for me. 3-1/2 stars out of 5.

Last edited by thesteve; 10-23-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:29 PM
gsf05
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

iCarscan is awesome (purchased mine 3 weeks ago)!! While Durametrix definitely has its place iCarscan can do everything you would really need it to....and you can use it on other vehicles. Why pay more for a system that is limited to just one vehicle make?? Can't say enough good things about iCarscan.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by gsf05
iCarscan is awesome (purchased mine 3 weeks ago)!! While Durametrix definitely has its place iCarscan can do everything you would really need it to....and you can use it on other vehicles. Why pay more for a system that is limited to just one vehicle make?? Can't say enough good things about iCarscan.
I've been saying the same thing since it came out actually - and it's easily portable. Smart phone and the lump - and you're ready to go. Small enough to just keep in the car.

Quick Reply: best scanner to buy for porsche cayenne (1st gen)