Need a Part for My Transsyberia

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 02:14 AM
Dave_D
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need a Part for My Transsyberia

Hi all,

My 2010 Cayenne S Transsyberia is getting serviced by our local Porsche dealership but, after two weeks, I'm told Porsche can't supply a critical part (955-722-031-03). For the record, it's the locking device for the spare tire gate. Without it, the gate won't release, blocking the rear hatch. I've looked at Pelican Parts and a few others, but they say it's a "special order item," so I suspect they can't get it either. eBay also came up empty.

Does anyone know who might have these in stock?

Is there any chance I might repair the failing item, DIY?

Is there a manual override?

Any other ideas?

Any assistance is appreciated.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:06 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

deleted

Last edited by ScootCherHienie; 12-14-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:18 PM
SoCalCayenne
7th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Dave, There is a emergency release wire that is on behind the lower hinge but it sounds like they you were able to get it swung open since you're at the dealership and know what part you need. Depending on your abilities or if you have someone you trust to do the work, I would recommend taking the part out ( need to remove the rear bumper cover) and taking it apart. The locking mechanism comes apart with a few torx bolts and contains an electrical actuator, a sensor and some mechanisms. Depending on the failure, you may be able to replace the component in the assembly that is not working. The electric actuator is made by Hella but you will not be able to find the part number printed on the part in the United States. Good news is, the actuator is very similar to the actuator for the fuel door etc. You just need to find one that is the same size and has the connector in the same orientation. The plunger attachment comes off so you should be able to swap it over.

Hope this is helpful to you. A transsyberia with a tire carrier sounds interesting, can you share pictures?
The following users liked this post:
J'sWorld (12-14-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 04:52 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
Did you check to see if the Toureg and/or Audi Q7 from the same year have the same part? You may be able to find it that way and for considerably less money than the extra $Porsche tax.

While you may be able to do a DIY fix, if you find it's too much to do with hand tools consider taking the old part to a machine shop that does metal work and welding to see if they can replicate the part for you. These sorts of shops still exist and have drill presses, metal bending tools, lathes, and these days, maybe plasma cutters and even CNC machines and much more. If they really don't want to deal with your single job, they will either say so or give you an unrealistically high estimate, so if you do bite on the quote, they can make enough to make it worthwhile. Other shops that take-in small jobs may give much more realistic quotes. With the old part,they can tell what can be re-used and what needs to be repaired or fabricated new to restore the part.

You may want to try Autohausaz.com if you didn't look there yet. And rockauto.com can get a fair number of items for the VW Toureg, some stuff for Q7s and some stuff for Cayennes. Rock Auto won't be nearly as comprehensive as Pelican Parts or similar places, but they may have what you are looking for at times.
Good questions/suggestions! I'm researching now....

Originally Posted by SoCalCayenne
Hi Dave, There is a emergency release wire that is on behind the lower hinge but it sounds like they you were able to get it swung open since you're at the dealership and know what part you need. Depending on your abilities or if you have someone you trust to do the work, I would recommend taking the part out ( need to remove the rear bumper cover) and taking it apart. The locking mechanism comes apart with a few torx bolts and contains an electrical actuator, a sensor and some mechanisms. Depending on the failure, you may be able to replace the component in the assembly that is not working. The electric actuator is made by Hella but you will not be able to find the part number printed on the part in the United States. Good news is, the actuator is very similar to the actuator for the fuel door etc. You just need to find one that is the same size and has the connector in the same orientation. The plunger attachment comes off so you should be able to swap it over.

Hope this is helpful to you. A transsyberia with a tire carrier sounds interesting, can you share pictures?
No, I actually wasn't aware of the release wire. In fact, when I took it to get winter tires swapped in a couple weeks ago, I had to crawl over the seats to dig out the lock nut key. Not pretty.

I can't grab a pic cuz it's still at the shop but here's one I found online:

I know there's only supposed to be 400 Transsy's in the US, and I thought the tire carrier was standard, but there's so few pics of them online - even most Transsy's don't seem to have 'em - I'm beginning to wonder just how many there really are. If it's that rare, I hate to think I might be facing an issue of permanent obsolescence. :-(

Thanks a million!!! Very helpful.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:50 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

What an annoying "part" its # 39 in this diagram.
  • SKU:955-722-031-03
  • Replaces:955-722-031-00, 955-722-031-01, 955-722-031-02

This looks like a DIY fix if you can ascertain which part of the assembly has failed.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:39 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by Libast
What an annoying "part" its # 39 in this diagram.
  • SKU:955-722-031-03
  • Replaces:955-722-031-00, 955-722-031-01, 955-722-031-02

This looks like a DIY fix if you can ascertain which part of the assembly has failed.
Yeah, I saw this too and was hoping the motor (#43 in the diag) could be ordered separately (and is in stock). The motor is only $200, as opposed to the whole mechanism, which is a whopping $1,000.00. Based on the sound, I'm confident it's the motor. When I depress the lever to release the locking mechanism, you can hear the motor trying but fizzling out. Try again and it sounds weaker. I suppose it could be the power source but everything else in the car powers up fine and, regardless, we just swapped out the battery too.

I mentioned this to the Porsche service center but a) they already reassembled everything (without fixing it), and b) they recommended against replacing just the motor "cuz the whole thing is worn out and should be replaced." They'll charge me two hours of labor to pull it out again. >:-[ Can somebody suggest a book that will guide me through extracting this part myself? As is, I'm looking at a $5,000 bill to get this $200 part replaced.

Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2020, 04:12 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

The electric motor part number in the parts list is 955 624 521 00 or 955 624 521 01.

The part number shows up on SG auto about half way down the page for $100. https://sgnauto.com/products/cars/oem/porsche/page/312
955-624-521-00 SS 95562452101 955,624,521,01 100.7 1

Last edited by Blagave; 12-03-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:22 PM
Dave Waldo
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

In Australia it is common law that a manufacturer or their agent must make spare parts available for 10 years. Probably fairly common to have this law in different parts of the world.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:27 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

More good info.

Thanks, guys!

Quick Reply: Need a Part for My Transsyberia