Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use this to add Bluetooth/Hands Free?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 12:34 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Anyone use this to add Bluetooth/Hands Free?

I'm aware of Dension but looking at other options....

Anyone ever used one of these devices which seems to function like Dension?

Amazon Amazon

Seems like a good deal at $168
Old 04-23-2021, 03:46 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

I have! in fact I liked it so much I used it on my first Cayenne, then bought one for the second. What you're looking at is relatively easy to set up, easy to conceal, and depending on how adventurous you are, can even look stock (for the most part, I have a panel I installed in the center console for the USB/mini jack so you don't have to fumble for the box itself.) The sound fidelity on the phone is good to all I've asked, and it plays -very- nicely with the standard PCM system (...yes, you can send SMS messages via the PCM and it routes through the phone, not sure why you'd want to, but it really does function that comprehensively.) The only feature that didn't function so well was the MicroSD card which you format with folders labeled as 'discs' (as functionality is controlled by the menu for the CD changer) but I found I never use it and rely on BT streaming instead.

Other things of note;
-mic sounds terrible if you try to hide it behind the foam in the overhead console, tried it, no good. Instead I took one of the blanks covering up an unused switch on the overhead console, drilled a hole large enough to pass the cable through, and then expoy'd the provided mic in place. The diameter of its stem means it's held in place almost where the OEM mic is.
-the system will actively seek out your BT device the moment you open the door, and its BT antenna has quite a range.
-I left mine wired in via an un-switched fuse, since I drive on a daily basis it doesn't really drain the battery much.

Beyond that, no Dip switches have to be switched (there are 'configuration' options, none applied to my 957) and other than the fact that you can't change the name of the device to something other than CarKit, I highly recommend it.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:04 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Those work great -- the same or better than the Dension. I've owned both and currently run one on my 997.

Read the "LAPower Bluetooth" thread on the RL 997 forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...bluetooth.html. It's pretty much the same install for both vehicles.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:17 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 504 Likes on 347 Posts

I have the exact unit in my 05 955 now.has worked great, all the steering wheel controls work. Occasionally it forgets BLue Tooth Audio as the audio source for music but easy to toggle over.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:34 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Works great
Old 04-24-2021, 12:25 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Amazon listing does not show the CDR 30 receiver as supported, does anyone know if this system will work with the CDR 30?
Old 04-24-2021, 01:20 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

I'd like to know if a CD changer is really needed to use it with the CDR23. Does someone have a wiring diagram for this system?
I assumed the CD changer would be disconnected with this unit taking its place, but now I'm wondering if it's added into the loop with an existing CD changer?
Years ago I looked into adding the changer to my Cayenne since the wiring and fiber optic were already in the trunk area. From what I read, the head unit will automatically detect the changer with no coding necessary from the dealer.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:04 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
I'd like to know if a CD changer is really needed to use it with the CDR23. Does someone have a wiring diagram for this system?
I assumed the CD changer would be disconnected with this unit taking its place, but now I'm wondering if it's added into the loop with an existing CD changer?
Years ago I looked into adding the changer to my Cayenne since the wiring and fiber optic were already in the trunk area. From what I read, the head unit will automatically detect the changer with no coding necessary from the dealer.

It emulates and replaces the CD changer. You cant have both at the same time in the fiber optic loop or you'll get an error. If your car has a CD changer you should be good. If you do not have the CD changer, you may have to have you car programmed to have one.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:38 AM
cayenne2008
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, installed where cd changer would be. Tapped cig lighter from the trunk
Old 09-01-2021, 05:45 PM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 170 Likes on 117 Posts

We have the Bluetooth Retrofit Kit here: https://rennkit.com/product-info/blu...-retrofit-kit/
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 09-02-2021, 12:59 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

I suspect it was your kit that was directly copied used as a source of inspiration in the Mr. 12 Volt System. I also suspect yours works better overall. it's a -fantastic- plug and play design.

Quick Reply: Anyone use this to add Bluetooth/Hands Free?