Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk Venturi Tube

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 11:59 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Let's talk Venturi Tube - solved...kind of....

2006 S

In the process of removing the intake, I snapped the Venturi Tube (the one that clips into the back of the intake). The Venturi Tube is also referred to as the Crankcase Breather Hose.

The piece of the tube that came apart is circled below.....it separated at the ridge around the horn-shaped part.

In my haste to get it all back together and running, I JB Welded the pipe back together....but I think I put too much JB Weld on the inside portion (should have just put some around the outside) and now the car is making a weird slight knock in that exact area. The knock is not in sync with the engine RPMS in any way and sounds like air popping. It also doesn't appear until the car is fully warmed up.

I want to remove the whole pipe so I can clean up the old repair and make it so there are no obstructions inside the pipe. The whole pipe looks like this.....

The two end pieces that have the larger round ends are the ones that go into the intake - the other end goes in behind the air pump into another hose or something - I know how to unclip the tube from the intake, but I was curious if anyone had removed the tube fully by pulling it out of whatever it goes into behind the air pump? It seems I can pull it out there or pull it apart just prior to where I broke it and just remove the part of the tube from that point.

Either way, the fitting that needs to be pulled out looks like this....

I believe it goes into another hard vacuum line behind the air pump - I'll know tomorrow when I can see it in the light. The other point I could separate it also look like it goes into a hard line.

Any tips on removing the pipe at either of these junctures?? If I need to replace the whole pipe (around $150), I need to know how to remove it from behind the air pump.

Also, what is the deal with this tube? Why all the bends and loops? ...and why the lil' "horn area" where I snapped it? Wouldn't a straight, uniform tube works versus the horn area?

I'm assuming it's designed this way for a reason.
d

Last edited by Jeff928S4; 07-12-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:52 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I managed to get the tube out.

Removed the intake pipe (six plastic bolts and two plugs).

The Venturi Tube runs behind the air pump and into a tube, that luckily has a spring clamp, which I released and pulled the tube out and wiggled it out of the car...below is the tube the Venturi Tube runs into....

Where mine broke.....

Cleaned off old JB Weld and re-did it from the outside....was in a rush and missed a few spots. Then added some tape to hold it to dry.

Started the car up and immediately was met with a rushing air sound (my patch job was insufficient). Not that bad a leak, will repair again tonight when I have more time.

Sad thing is, the "thumping" noise is still there.

I knew it was coming from the air pump area, so I pulled the pipe off the passenger side air pump and there was exhaust pumping out of it - making the noise I identified. Apparently this means I have a bad ERG Valve. Plugging the pipe cut the noise down drastically, although I can still hear it from inside the cabin (sounds like it's coming from behind the glove box.

Now....gotta figure out my best route to repair this new problem. Grrrrr
The following users liked this post:
user 8298308 (07-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Let's talk Venturi Tube