Sponsored by:

Will my CayenneTurbo ever drive again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 11:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,192 Likes on 3,948 Posts

Great news and fingers crossed.. I hate plastic lines in an engine compartment.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:26 PM
quight
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like you're making progress. This is going to end up being something simple. Considering the location, I would start by checking the turbo oil feed and return lines on that side.
there are very few external components to the engine that carry oil - turbos, and the filter/heat exchanger are about it, so unless you've blown a valve cover gasket those are the places I'd be looking for a significant leak.
good luck, keep us posted
The following users liked this post:
ekstroemtj (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 09:42 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjap
All, thank you so much for your responses to my melodramatic written topic..
People close to me, don't understand why I would be emotional about a car: "It's just a car", is their response, ever since I own the car.
Well, to me, it is not just a car. She stood by me and stayed "loyal" to me in "bad" times. This car and the house stayed, while everything else in my life left and/or changed.
I kept going, till the day before yesterday, Cayenne also gave me "The sign", she wants to leave😢
It opened my eyes, it woke me up: Since this moment, I start to "feel" again, realizing that the other stuff is not "solved" yet. Trying to not think about things, doesn't equal to "having coped" with it..
Or maybe I should first loose everything, including Cayenne, before I can start "build" again, and I should let her go, also.
But not without a fight!!
So on topic:
Today I have time. To further investigate, to change the outcome of this chapter in my life.

Where to start..
-Cleaning the oil on her "insides". But doing this, without water-shorting the electrical connections.

-Filling her up with oil, till normal level. And starting her, to discover where the oil leak has its origin:
I already bought the oil, and for sure it will start, but not looking forward to the mess it will give..
After filling and starting her, she will "Bleed to Death" again, I am pretty sure about that, even if I cut off the engine right after starting it.
But I do realise, this is the only way for me to find the cause of the oil leak.
Stupid question: I have to reconnect the airfilter&housing, and the gas throttle housing, even when I start her for 20 seconds?
I guess the answer is "yes"

I am also in dubio if I should first remove the plastic wheel cover, to get a better sight of things..

The top of the engine is covered with oil, but also a lot of oil on the oil cooler(the steal ribbon device next to the oil filter?).
If the oil cooler is the cause, would it be able to cover the top of the engine? I would think not, but not sure.

The day before yesterday, when it happened, I made a picture of the oil cooler:
It seems, a blue plastic pipe was connected to it, which is not there anymore?

Edit: For extra photo+info.
Behind the vaccuumpomp, the plastic pipe, over there it seems to have sprayed the inside of the hood. But there are no oil lines there, only air lines?
Also it's far away from the oil cooler, which is very wet of oil also!?

​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​
correct me if I am wrong gang but that isn't a broken blue hose. That is the radiator drain screw. so you can rule that out.
Tjap (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 10:48 AM
Tjap
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I dismantled her a little further today, removed the wheel cover and the complete airbox.
Having some hope on fixing this and fear of severe engine failure, turn places more than few times..

The hard plastic hose I suspected of being the cause, was easier to follow after dismantling further. And is not suspect anymore, because I think it is not an oil line. I think it is to thin/narrow, to transport oil. Please see the picture: the line starts very thin, and gets a little thicker, before it goes under te car. This picture is taken from above the hood, looking down:

​​​​(Everything is wet, raining all day)

Please see the next picture: I read that on certain spots, an extra liquid gasket is supposed to be used. But not so sure anymore, please judge this photo(Taken from de side, where nornally wheelcover):

I now see at most left arrow, that part is signed with my blood🤭

There seems no oil leaking from there?

Old 10-21-2021, 10:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Now that you've done some disassembly where you have a better view of things, you might need to start it up again to find the source of the oil.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:01 AM
Tjap
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Now that you've done some disassembly where you have a better view of things, you might need to start it up again to find the source of the oil.
Hi Petza, can I just turn the key(Not start it, I think it will not start dismantled), to make the oil being pumped around, so I can see?
Old 10-21-2021, 11:12 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pull both your fuel pump fuses and motor the engine on the starter.
Tjap (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tjap
Hi Petza, can I just turn the key(Not start it, I think it will not start dismantled), to make the oil being pumped around, so I can see?
I believe the engine has to be rotating for the oil pump to work as it's a mechanical pump that's tied to the crankshaft - I could be wrong though.
Tjap (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:20 AM
Tjap
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
I believe the engine has to be rotating for the oil pump to work as it's a mechanical pump that's tied to the crankshaft - I could be wrong though.
I ask this, because to make it start properly, I have to put all parts back in, but then I cannot see properly anymore..

But I will give it a try with all parts off.. Yesterday I started it for 5 seconds, which was enough to make it dripping out.
I could remove the Fuel Pump fuses to make sure..
Old 10-21-2021, 11:28 AM
BamaScoot
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Fill it back up with oil and check for leaks before you start it. If it doesn't leak when not running, then you know it's only a problem under pressure.

Your valve cover is likely leaking, but I can't imagine it would be as bad as it appears.
Tjap (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:39 AM
Tjap
Advanced

Originally Posted by BamaScoot
Fill it back up with oil and check for leaks before you start it. If it doesn't leak when not running, then you know it's only a problem under pressure.

Your valve cover is likely leaking, but I can't imagine it would be as bad as it appears.
Yesterday, before starting it for 5 seconds, I put 2 liters of oil in it. It did not leak before I started it, but the cold, new motor oil is still thick. I guess the old remaining oil came out first, in 5 secs it cannot be mixted properly.
Ok, when the rain stops a little, I put another 2 litres of oil in it, and crank the engine, with dismantled parts, to see where it is coming from..
I think it will drip, with engine cranked, but not started, I'm going to try!
Old 10-21-2021, 01:04 PM
BamaScoot
Racer

Get a second person to help so you can be looking at the engine while it's cranked for those 2-3 seconds. You should be able to see where it's bubbling/pouring out much easier while it's happening than diagnosing the source after the engine is off.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:47 PM
Tjap
Advanced

I wished I had someone around today, so that he/she could turn the key, and I could opserve.. This is not the case today, so I am going to be fast..

This is her, I could get her cheap, because of the bulletholes☺️😉

To get a good view of what's happening outside the car, I built in 12 cams:
12 cams view

New PCM replacement, with 2 extra cams😍

All in better times, right now she's puking engine oil😌
Old 10-22-2021, 08:32 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Have you checked the oil or have you just added four liters total. I am afraid if you keep adding the way you have been adding you are going to have other problems. I agree that it has to be a turbo oil supply or return hose to put out that much oil. The blown valve cover gasket is highly suspect too, but typically the valve covers just keep the oil from going everywhere. You will typically see oil tricking out from a blown valve cover gasket. I don’t have a CTT so I cannot verify where the oil lines are but I do have a turbo on my race car and I have blown those lines before. It puts out oil at 80psig or for you 5.5bar.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:41 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Also as long as you don’t drive it or rev the engine you don’t have to put it all back together to run for a few seconds. Just plug in the MAF and you should be ok at idle.

Quick Reply: Will my CayenneTurbo ever drive again?