Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the Cayenne need to have the engine splash guard kept on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 03:46 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does the Cayenne need to have the engine splash guard kept on?

I run my pickup without it (I know different vehicle) with no issues. These underneath jobs on the 2005 Cayenne would be much faster without having to take off and replace the engine splash guard but I know on the Audis you have to keep them on
Old 12-13-2021, 05:15 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Probably not but then again, my time valuation is different than you- the extra 5 min of taking down the splash shield is worth the x-hundred time in replacing part of the engine due to a random piece of gravel.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:30 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

+1 on hating to remove that plastic. Especially with those two screws on either end that attach high up out of reach.
I would think the biggest effect would be aerodynamics and maybe fuel economy as a result but I'm just guessing.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:04 PM
Andrew_955
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

The undertray is to assist with cooling. By having the front section of the engine bay fairly sealed off and an open section at the back it means that all incoming air must be pulled through the radiator. By removing the undertray you allow turbulent air to enter the front of the engine bay from underneath, spoiling the venturi effect and bypassing the radiator.
Same principle as fan shrouds but on a bigger scale.

Most cars will run just fine without the undertray, but some will overheat in certain airflow conditions.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:53 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew_955
The undertray is to assist with cooling. By having the front section of the engine bay fairly sealed off and an open section at the back it means that all incoming air must be pulled through the radiator. By removing the undertray you allow turbulent air to enter the front of the engine bay from underneath, spoiling the venturi effect and bypassing the radiator.
Same principle as fan shrouds but on a bigger scale.

Most cars will run just fine without the undertray, but some will overheat in certain airflow conditions.
^^THIS^^ I for one hate replaciing the undertrays (and I have the stamped steel engine guard) but it is worth it for the cooling effects as well as to keep the components clean. With 630+HP, the turbos generate a ton of heat...

Quick Reply: Does the Cayenne need to have the engine splash guard kept on?