Sponsored by:

PCCM+ for First Gen Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 10:06 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts
Default PCCM+ for First Gen Cayenne

The 997 board is abuzz with Porsche's Classic Communication Management being available for the 997.1/987.1. The is a Porsche replacement for the original PCM unit. PCCM+ supports Car Play and Android Auto. It was announced a long time ago but it finally dropped today. Apparently this is also compatible with the First Generation Cayenne.

PCCM+ FAQ

"The PCCM Plus was developed and tested exclusively for the 911 (Type 997), the Boxster (Type 987) / Cayman (Type 987) of the model years 2005 to 2008 and first-generation Cayenne of the model years 2003 to 2008"

Silver Springs Porsche has it listed already but still waiting for prices. $1300 by the looks of the 996 PCCM+

Last edited by Hula; 12-08-2022 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Added info
The following 4 users liked this post by Hula:
Andrew_955 (04-01-2023), charsiuboar (12-08-2022), Ivaylo Kushev (01-26-2023), lkraav (12-08-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 11:34 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Let's see it. If it's actually half way decent, $1300 might not be a completely unreasonable price.
I'll probably stick with my Kenwood though, which already has Android Auto, BT, backup camera and so on.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:16 AM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slavie
Let's see it. If it's actually half way decent, $1300 might not be a completely unreasonable price.
I'll probably stick with my Kenwood though, which already has Android Auto, BT, backup camera and so on.
I hear you. I swapped in a Pioneer ages ago. Is $1,300 worth getting my volume **** back? It just might be.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:30 AM
lkraav
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, it's real for Europe as well https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/...25882F0026CC48

I sent a pricing inquiry to my local Porsche dealer

Yummy
The following users liked this post:
Aezee (05-21-2023)
Old 12-08-2022, 11:18 AM
Ob917
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 156 Posts

I’d love to get one of these
Old 12-08-2022, 02:20 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

The FAQ was taken off the Porsche website but I saved a copy.
Porsche Classic Communication Management PCCM Plus 997 / 987 and first-generation Cayenne – FAQs

1. Can I install the PCCM Plus in the Porsche 911 (Type 997) or the Boxster (Type 987) / Cayman
(Type 987) from model years 2009 to 2012 or the first-generation Cayenne from model years
2009 to 2010?

No, the PCCM Plus was developed and tested exclusively for the 911 (Type 997), the Boxster (Type
987) / Cayman (Type 987) of the model years 2005 to 2008 and first-generation Cayenne of the model
years 2003 to 2008.
2. Can I install the PCCM Plus in the Porsche 911 (Type 997) or Boxster (Type 987) / Cayman (Type
987) of the model years 2005 to 2008 or in the first-generation Cayenne of the model years
2003 to 2008 with CDR?

Yes, the PCCM Plus can also be installed in the 911 (Type 997), the Boxster (Type 987) / Cayman (Type
987) of the model years 2005 to 2008 and first-generation Cayenne of the model years 2003 to 2008
with a CDR. For information on how to install the Porsche Classic Communication Management Plus,
please contact a Porsche Classic Partner or an Authorized Porsche Dealership.
3. Will my factory fitted BOSE®- or Harman-sound-system still work?
Yes, the factory fitted sound systems can still be used.
4. Are the new devices compatible with the BOSE® AudioPilot?
Yes, the BOSE® AudioPilot, the Surround function and the Listening position function are supported.
5. Is the speed-dependent volume still supported?
Yes, the speed-dependent volume is supported.
6. Will my trip computer still work?
The trip computer is integrated into the PCCM Plus. The trip computer includes travel time, distance,
range, average consumption, average speed, date, time and outside temperature. Please note due to a
different calculation logic, the values shown in the trip computer may deviate from the values shown in
the instrument cluster. In addition, radio stations, media, telephone and navigation in the instrument
cluster can be displayed depending on the vehicle equipment.
7. Can I still use my factory fitted GPS-antenna?
No, the supplied GPS antenna must be installed.
© Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG Porsche Classic August 2022
8. Can I still use my factory fitted microphone?
No, the factory fitted microphone cannot be used anymore. The included microphone is a directional
microphone that achieves better sound quality compared to the old device.
The integrated microphone of the PCCM Plus can be used as an alternative.
9. Why is the sound quality of my microphone unsatisfactory?
Please check your settings if your external directional microphone is activated.
Home -> Phone -> Options -> external microphone and activate it via checkbox.
10. Is the individual memory function supported?
Yes, the individual memory function is supported. The individual memory function is only available on
the PCCM Plus for Porsche 911 (Type 997) / Boxster (Type 987) / Cayman (Type 987), but not for the
PCCM Plus for the first-generation Cayenne.
11. Is the multifunction steering wheel still supported?
Yes, the functions of the multifunction steering wheel are still supported. Among other things, it is also
possible to assign selected functions to the screen button for the Porsche 911 (Type 997) / Boxster
(Type 987) / Cayman (Type 987).
12. Will the factory-installed rear view camera of my first-generation Cayenne continue to be
supported?

Yes, the factory-installed rear view camera is connected to the PCCM Plus by means of a multi-adapter.
13. Is the compass display still supported in my first generation Cayenne?
Yes, the compass display is still supported in conjunction with the corresponding map material on a
separate MicroSDHC card. The map material can be purchased separately via a Porsche Classic Partner
or an Authorized Porsche Dealership.
14. Is the factory fitted antenna amplifier (for the European/Australian/New Zealand market) still
used?

With the PCCM Plus (Europe), the antenna amplifier installed in the vehicle must be replaced by the
new antenna amplifier. For information on how to install the Porsche Classic Communication
Management Plus, please contact a Porsche Classic Partner or an Authorized Porsche Dealership.
15. Will the external handset still be usable?
The factory fitted external handset is no longer supported.
16. Why is my radio signal reception mediocre?
Your device's cable connections may not be secured properly. Please check the firm fit of your cable
connections. Please also make sure that degraded plugs as well as cables are replaced if necessary to
ensure the reception quality in the tuner area.
Pay particular attention to the connection of the windshield antennas on the vehicle models 911 (Type
997) and Boxster (Type 987) / Cayman (Type 987).
17. How can I activate the AM reception area?
The reception area AM in the Tuner menu can be activated and deactivated in the settings (options) via
checkbox.
18. Do polarized sunglasses affect the visibility of the display?
The visibility of the display while wearing polarized sunglasses is dependent on the polarization direction
of the sunglasses. Visibility problems might occur if the polarization direction of your sunglasses is
opposite to the polarization direction of the display.
19. Does the PCCM (Plus) feature RTTI (Real Time Traffic Information)?
No, the Onboard-Navigation does not contain an RTTI function. However, RTTI can be used through the
included Apple CarPlay® / GOOGLE® Android Auto functionality (Apple Maps or Google Maps).
20. Can I update my onboard navigation online?
No, the onboard navigation cannot be updated online. The current map material (microSDHC card) can
be purchased from your Porsche Classic Partner or Authorized Porsche Dealership.
21. What should be considered when presenting media information in the media sector?
The cover flow is only displayed if the graphic (e.g. cover of the album) is stored in the ID3 tag of the
MP3 file.
22. Which formatting of the USB stick as well as which file formats are supported via the USB port?
It is necessary to pay attention to the correct formatting (FAT32) of the USB stick as well as to the
storage capacity of a maximum of 64 GB. The following file formats are supported:
mp2/mp3/wma/flag/ape/ogg
23. Does Apple CarPlay® work wirelessly?
Apple CarPlay only functions if your iPhone® is connected via the USB port.
24. Are all iPhone® compatible with Apple CarPlay®?
Apple CarPlay® works with iPhone® generation 5 and newer. Further Information are available through
Apple (http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay).
25. Can I connect my iPhone® or GOOGLE® Android Smartphone wirelessly with the PCCM Plus?
No, smartphones can only be connected via cable (USB-Port) or Bluetooth® for data transfer. Bluetooth®
does not grant “full access” to smartphone functionality as is the case with the wireless connection in
new vehicles.
26. Why does my phone terminate the Bluetooth® connection when activating Apple
CarPlay®/GOOGLE® Android Auto?

Apple CarPlay® disconnects an existing Bluetooth® and does not initiate a new one.
GOOGLE® Android Auto disconnects an existing Bluetooth® connection to initiate a new one
automatically.
27. Why can’t I find Google Maps within Apple CarPlay®?
Please check if Google Maps is installed on your device.
28. How does the volume adjustment work with Apple CarPlay® / GOOGLE® Android Auto?
The volume level for different audio sources can be adjusted separately with Apple CarPlay®.
GOOGLE® Android Auto includes uniform volume levels for different audio sources.
29. How does the volume control of media playback via Bluetooth work?
When playing media via Bluetooth, pay attention to the volume level of your mobile device. Ensure the
maximum volume. The volume level of the PCCM Plus is uniformly controlled via the audio sources
Tuner, Media, Phone and Navigation.
30. Can I import my contacts via Bluetooth®?
To import the contacts via Bluetooth® it is necessary to allow access to the phone book through your
mobile device.
31. Why is a phone number displayed incorrectly?
Please check, if the phone number in your mobile device is saved in the format „+XX YYY ZZZ…” (e.g.
+49 151…).
32. What do I have to consider when I install the PCCM Plus for the first time?
The Auto-configure PCCM Plus function must be run when the Porsche Classic Communication
Management Plus is used for the first time in order to guarantee the full range of functions.
911 (Type 997) / Boxster (Type 987) / Cayman (Type 987):
To run the function, press CAR -> Set -> System -> Configure PCCM Plus -> Auto-configure PCCM
Plus or Button HOME -> Car -> Set -> System -> Configure PCCM Plus -> Auto-configure PCCM Plus.
First-generation Cayenne:
To run the function, press CAR -> Set -> Auto-configure PCCM Plus or
Button HOME -> Car -> Set -> Auto-configure PCCM Plus.

Last edited by Hula; 12-08-2022 at 07:59 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hula:
bstaneland (09-14-2023), lkraav (12-10-2022), Wilder (12-18-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:33 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Very cool. My PCM failed a few months ago and I want to retain all the factory options that it came with, so $1300 may not be that bad. I am still going to try to clone the HD and resurrect the old unit first, however!

https://www.porsche.com/internationa...ghlights/pccm/

Last edited by TomF; 12-08-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:52 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

This would have been awesome maybe 5 years ago. Not trying to put it down... looks nice. But the only big difference I can see from my couple-hundred dollar unit from Hong Kong is the stylized markings on the ***** and different buttons.
I wonder if the display is better... that was an interesting remark about the polarization direction of your sunglasses. Hmmm.
Also, is this a DIY install or is coding etc. required? What's the labor on that. I got free customer service from a real person with mine. https://www.erisin.com/products/-661

myw (02-10-2023)
Old 12-09-2022, 06:42 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

I had been asking about this and am so excited it is avail. Calling my local p-car shop in the AM.
charsiuboar (12-09-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 03:42 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,542 Likes on 859 Posts

I called my local dealer and they said already "back ordered" does anyone know if this was already released in small quantities, or is it not actually shipping until spring of 2023? The estimate for availability is March of 2023 according to suncoast and my dealer's parts department.
Cant wait to install on my 08' Cayenne GTS
Old 12-11-2022, 03:52 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,041 Posts

The PCCM+ for the MOST 996's is a little wonky. It has odd problems with randomly resetting the trip odometer. Problems sometimes happen with the acceleration sensors which locks out any features that can be used only when stopped. Using it in non-MOST cars is far more trouble, which isn't an issue for any Cayenne.
Supposedly there is a software update that fixes this wonkiness. No one I know that has a PCCM+ is their 996 has been able to get the update though. The 996 PCCM+ had a stop-sale for a few months and is now back, so maybe that was to fix the software?
slavie (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 04:36 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theprf
The PCCM+ for the MOST 996's is a little wonky. It has odd problems with randomly resetting the trip odometer. Problems sometimes happen with the acceleration sensors which locks out any features that can be used only when stopped. Using it in non-MOST cars is far more trouble, which isn't an issue for any Cayenne.
Supposedly there is a software update that fixes this wonkiness. No one I know that has a PCCM+ is their 996 has been able to get the update though. The 996 PCCM+ had a stop-sale for a few months and is now back, so maybe that was to fix the software?
Good point. That is always the issue in the "software age" we live in today. The vendor may release a product, but if it's not supported, then in a few years it's paperweight.
At least with an aftermarket 2-DIN unit, I can swap out for a newer one in a few years if need be, and the wiring/adapters will most likely still work.
Then again, how long do most people keep their vehicles? I'm sure there are lifers out there, but that's more of an exception than the rule.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:21 PM
jslev04
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know if this is compatible with the 957? Porsche documentation says 955 but aren't all 1st gen's pretty much the same from an interior standpoint? Mine is a 2010 Base with PCM 3.0.
Old 12-12-2022, 05:40 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jslev04
Anyone know if this is compatible with the 957? Porsche documentation says 955 but aren't all 1st gen's pretty much the same from an interior standpoint? Mine is a 2010 Base with PCM 3.0.
08 should be as it was PCM2.1. 09-10 is PCM3.0. Different connectors, different amp, etc. Not the same thing at all.
Old 12-12-2022, 05:47 PM
Malibu955
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Looks like it will work in the 957 for MY2008 only, which is PCM2.1. It won't work for 2009-2010 cars which have the PCM3.0 units.

I wonder if there is a rear USB port for CarPlay. I have the CarPlay USB socket in my center console routed to the rear input of my Dynavin N7 which keeps everything hidden and no cords draped across the center console. I'd also like to know if it's compatible with an aftermarket backup camera. It would also be nice to see more detailed specs of the unit. One of the things that drew me to the N7 was the 20-bit Burr-Brown DACs.

I like the idea of having a Porsche-branded unit in the car, but I'll probably wait for a while and see what people think of it. I still really like my N7.
lkraav (12-15-2022)

Quick Reply: PCCM+ for First Gen Cayenne