Sponsored by:

2008 Rear Spoiler and Third Brake light

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 09:05 PM
Keeper22
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Rear Spoiler and Third Brake light

I am trying to change my third brake light and all of the diagrams and photos I have found online say to remove three torx screws in the rear hatch

But I don't have those torx screws.

I have seen a few instances of people bringing this issue up, but no solutions. Does anyone know how to remove the rear spoiler if those three torx screws are not there? My trim piece was smooth (no access holes), so I removed it to see if they were underneath. The pic above is with the trim piece removed.

Last edited by Keeper22; 01-31-2023 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added one more pic
Old 02-02-2023, 12:14 AM
Keeper22
AutoX

This is so frustrating! I bought a month access to AllData to make sure I have the right source and it still only shows the three torx screw version above.!!! Grrr!
Old 02-02-2023, 07:50 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Keeper22
This is so frustrating! I bought a month access to AllData to make sure I have the right source and it still only shows the three torx screw version above.!!! Grrr!
Nope, AllData is wrong. In addition to the 3 torx screws, there are 2 more. At each end of the spoiler, you will (should) find a large rubber bung (approx 4 ins long) that clips into the tailgate. Pull these off (no fastenings) and underneath you will see the hidden screws.
The following users liked this post:
spankster23 (02-06-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 10:35 AM
Keeper22
AutoX

Originally Posted by Harry Apps
Nope, AllData is wrong. In addition to the 3 torx screws, there are 2 more. At each end of the spoiler, you will (should) find a large rubber bung (approx 4 ins long) that clips into the tailgate. Pull these off (no fastenings) and underneath you will see the hidden screws.
Actually AllData shows that step with the two side screws at each end, which I removed.

I'm stuck at the next steep since there are no middle screws to remove, but the spoiler is still securely fastened.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:52 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Keeper22
Actually AllData shows that step with the two side screws at each end, which I removed.

I'm stuck at the next steep since there are no middle screws to remove, but the spoiler is still securely fastened.
Perhaps a previous owner/shop has used adhesive tape?
Old 02-05-2023, 02:18 AM
Keeper22
AutoX

Originally Posted by Harry Apps
Perhaps a previous owner/shop has used adhesive tape?
Just the fact that it is totally different than any documentation I have seen is killing me.

I found a Reddit thread where someone had the same issue but they didn't know how their mechanic fixed the issue.

Quick Reply: 2008 Rear Spoiler and Third Brake light