Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So many disposable (permanent) parts. Today, I bring you the Sunglass Holder Button

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 11:09 AM
natty
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So many disposable (permanent) parts. Today, I bring you the Sunglass Holder Button

Along with all of the other supposedly permanent (or long lived) parts on a Cayenne -- like rear hatch struts (every 3-5 yrs (other cars go much much longer)), the tiny fasteners for the rocker panel trim strips, various adhesives (headliner, seat-back clips), soy based wiring insulation that disintegrates (headlight wiring harness), LED displays fading, cardan joint failing, bore scoring, throwaway PCM -- we have the lovely sunglass holder release button, AKA shelf button p/n 955552318016N3.

This guy is 25 bucks a pop and breaks about every 2 or 3 years.. It is infernally delicate and self destructs on a regular basis. Here are the options I can think of:
  1. Leave it closed and never use it (I hate this option)
  2. Replace it regularly (I hate this option)
  3. Leave it broken and put your glasses in there with it hanging in the way of the rearview mirror (I hate this option)
  4. Salvage yard (likely pre-broken, missing or ready to break)
  5. Have one scanned and 3D printed out of something very durable...even aluminum
The last option sounds pretty cool. I don't have a scanner or printer, but there are very reasonable services online. For example, I had the hard-to-find seat-back lower clip printed after finding a model for it online. it was 7 or 8 bucks plus cheap shipping. The model wasn't that accurate as I had to modify it a little, but overall a great solution to buying a whole seat back.

So, how does everyone deal with this part? Anyone have a model or scanner? I wonder how an aluminum version would fit and work? It has some very fine parts to it (namely, the part that clips on) and I don't know if printer resolution goes that fine.

Last edited by natty; 02-28-2023 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:57 AM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

There is a sunglass holder?
Old 02-28-2023, 02:39 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah, it sucks. I gave up replacing it and poke my finger in to release the holder. Printing a bunch up is not a bad idea but I have no idea if economies of scale apply in this case. Thanks for posting the PN- I may order another one!
The following 2 users liked this post by TomF:
mac109 (02-28-2023), natty (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 07:04 PM
bob_oz
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default while you are printing...

While you are at it - how about aluminum versions of the rear-seat-fold-forward-rest-lug that is between the headrest poles - all mine are split and cracked
(agree with sunglass holder clip!)
Old 02-28-2023, 08:23 PM
natty
Advanced

Originally Posted by bob_oz
While you are at it - how about aluminum versions of the rear-seat-fold-forward-rest-lug that is between the headrest poles - all mine are split and cracked
(agree with sunglass holder clip!)
Yup, although mine have just stripped out at the screw hole. I'll have to lag bolt them in if I want them back on.

Let's add the rear seat release for folding the seat down. Tiny delicate parts that shatter with anything but an extremely light touch, and that's with pushing the seat backwards a little to unload pressure on the latch. Problem is, even if you are careful, the minute someone else touches them, they're done.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:13 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 503 Likes on 346 Posts

Mine was broken when I bought my pig. I replaced mine and never opened it again.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:28 AM
turbo23dog
Intermediate

Hey if were’re offering up ideas that need solutions, how about hatch strut prop rods that eliminate the need to replace the strut shocks every 3 years. This would be something similar to the prop rod that other cars have for the hood over the engine.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:45 AM
natty
Advanced

Originally Posted by turbo23dog
Hey if were’re offering up ideas that need solutions, how about hatch strut prop rods that eliminate the need to replace the strut shocks every 3 years. This would be something similar to the prop rod that other cars have for the hood over the engine.
FCP Euro offers free lifetime replacement of everything they sell. Too good to be true? Sounds like it, but I'm going to get my struts from them soon and will see if they replace them when they wear out. Yeah, there is still the hassle of replacing it, but I've gotten pretty good at it.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee
Old 03-01-2023, 09:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,191 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Originally Posted by natty
FCP Euro offers free lifetime replacement of everything they sell. Too good to be true? Sounds like it, but I'm going to get my struts from them soon and will see if they replace them when they wear out. Yeah, there is still the hassle of replacing it, but I've gotten pretty good at it.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee
I buy almost all my parts there because I keep my Porsches forever. They absolutely honor the lifetime guarantee to the original purchaser.

They even do stuff like oil and brake pads but I don't feel right about turning that stuff back to them.

Don't think I've ever used my sunglasses holder and just keep them in the top section for the center console, so my holder and button is pristine

Last edited by Petza914; 03-01-2023 at 09:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
justabout (03-07-2023), natty (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 01:12 PM
natty
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
I buy almost all my parts there because I keep my Porsches forever. They absolutely honor the lifetime guarantee to the original purchaser.

They even do stuff like oil and brake pads but I don't feel right about turning that stuff back to them.

Don't think I've ever used my sunglasses holder and just keep them in the top section for the center console, so my holder and button is pristine
That's great to hear about FCP. Especially since they have very reasonable prices. I bought my last wiper set from them so I guess I will never have to buy another set...
I just wish they carried the sunglass holder button!
Old 03-01-2023, 02:15 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by phatz
There is a sunglass holder?

yup, use it a lot with no issues
Old 03-04-2023, 04:30 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

This is on my list somewhere below “drive 1,000 miles with no new codes or issues.

aside from being annoying, I find that sticking my finger in there works just fine to open it, once you get the hang of it.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:24 PM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Crozzer
This is on my list somewhere below “drive 1,000 miles with no new codes or issues.

aside from being annoying, I find that sticking my finger in there works just fine to open it, once you get the hang of it.
I didn't even realize there was supposed to be a button there and just assumed it was an anti-theft measure based around security through obscurity.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:46 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

That's great to hear about FCP. Especially since they have very reasonable prices. I bought my last wiper set from them so I guess I will never have to buy another set...
they very likely do, if you call them. They have access to the same distribution network as other retailers. I was surprised to find some one-time use bolts available that I had assumed I would be buying from Porsche forever… (air strut hat bolts, torque area bolts, etc.)
Old 03-06-2023, 04:40 PM
Malibu955
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

They know that would bankrupt them.
The following users liked this post:
natty (03-07-2023)

Quick Reply: So many disposable (permanent) parts. Today, I bring you the Sunglass Holder Button