Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 CTT camshaft position sensor code after valve cover gaskets replaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 05:23 PM
tolbertiii
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 CTT camshaft position sensor code after valve cover gaskets replaced

Hi folks; my first new thread! I need some advice. I normally do all my own work, but I knew I wouldn't get to my non-working AC before hot weather and didn't want to go a 3rd summer without it. So, I dropped it off at an indy and decided to let them replace my valve cover gaskets at the same time.

Before picking up the car, they told me it was throwing a P0346 for the bank 2 camshaft position sensor. I said not to worry about it. I drove it home and it seemed to be a little underpowered.

I pulled the codes with a Durametric, cleared it, came back, so today I replaced the sensor. I managed to do this without pulling the air intake, which was pretty awesome.

Of course, the new sensor is showing the error. "P0346 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Bank 2 - Implausible signal, test conditions are not-completed, fault is currently active and causing a DTC light"

Based on extensive reading here in the forums, it certainly sounds like they damaged the tone-fingers on the camshaft. I did not see any damage to the face of the old sensor as reported in another thread.

Here are a few questions:

. Although the car runs ok, is this error likely impacting performance?
. Could the "Implausible signal" be indicative of an electrical problem?
. Should I do anything else before taking it back to the shop?
. Would you take it back to the same shop or avoid them now? :-)

Thanks for reading. This forum has been fantastic and I really appreciate the time folks spend helping each other out.

Bill
Old 04-24-2023, 08:38 PM
brett968
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Yikes, that sucks. I agree that it sounds like they broke the tabs on the camshaft. The engine will never run correctly without fixing the problem. The repair is far more complicated then replacing the valve cover gaskets. Considering they messed up the valve cover gaskets, I would certainly be apprehensive, to say the least, about bringing the car back to them to attempt the repair. They should foot the bill though once the damage is proven. Hopefully others will chime in with recommendations on how to best go about that part (without lawyers).
The following users liked this post:
tolbertiii (04-24-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 09:29 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same camshaft issue after the dealer did work which required removal and installation of the camshaft covers.

Use your Durametric and monitor the #2 camshaft actual values to confirm you have abnormal readings. My camshaft #2 showed (——) dashes, as there was no data being sensed.

In my experience, there wasn’t much difference at lower power demands, however it was noticeable at high power demands.

The ECU downgraded the engine power output and I couldn’t achieve more than 50% of normal boost levels.

I had no CEL illuminated, but did have the P0346 fault code.

The tone ring was missing a finger, and couldn’t be repaired. If it was bent, it may have been able to be straightened and not require a camshaft change.

The camshaft was replaced and fixed the fault.

The dealer admitted fault and I wasn’t charged.

The following users liked this post:
tolbertiii (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 10:17 AM
tolbertiii
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. My camshaft #2 shows dashes for deviation. Actual angle was 0, and never changed, whereas camshaft #1 actual did change from 0 to -1.

Let's hope its just a bent finger. There is a comment over on PelicanParts.com just last month by a user that says a shop in Miami made a tool to correct a bent finger and it worked well.

Quick Reply: 2005 CTT camshaft position sensor code after valve cover gaskets replaced