Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Cayenne Base - Control Module or CAN Bus Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 07:35 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SO, after deciding to call it a day until I could get a new 433 Relay, I put stuff back together to the point where I could re-position the Cayenne in the driveway & safely drive it if need be. When I re-installed the 433 Relay it went ALL the way into its Socket with a satisfying 'click' at the last moment. ALL the way as in NO 1/8" gap as it previously had. THIS caught my attention. Could I have been riding around for 7+ years with a partially inserted Relay?

This prompted a series of test drives around the neighborhood that got longer and longer and ultimately well exceeded the distance and time of what had been a very consistent failure scenario. Was this my problem all along? I shall see as I plan to put the Cayenne back into local service and see what happens. I could have 'magically' moved the right wire in moving the carpet away from the bundle but the way the 433 SNAPPED all the way into its Socket and ALL my issues disappeared has me hooked for now... :-)

Barry

Last edited by Barry A. Waters; 05-27-2023 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:30 AM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,047 Posts

I would suggest untaping that driver's side harness and inspecting the presumably repaired splices.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:47 AM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Originally Posted by theprf
I would suggest untaping that driver's side harness and inspecting the presumably repaired splices.
That will be my next step as soon as the failure occurs again. Now that I know the remove/install drill with the doorsill, hood-release handle, kick-panel trim & carpet it's a cinch to get to it. The fault scenario was so consistent and predictable and NOW it has gone away entirely with everything back to normal. The surround that the 433 Relay Socket is mounted to is not strong enough (in my case) to withstand the force required to properly seat the 433 Relay in its Socket without looking like it's going to break so I can see a tech thinking it was fully seated when it wasn't. That 'click' and the disappearance of the gap (see image above) when I squeezed the relay and the socket together was significant. I took the car out yesterday for a GOOD workout of an hour+ on errands with no issues so the 433 Relay seating may well have been the problem. If I have another failure I'll go into the wiring harness at the splice location and get back.

Barry
Old 02-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Well, it's been almost 9 months and the Cayenne has had no further occurrences of the 'System Fault'. Looks like the Relay seating may well have been the issue. Go figure...

Barry
The following 2 users liked this post by Barry A. Waters:
BobcatBrian (02-16-2024), CaliforniaSurfer (02-15-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 08:03 AM
mdistel
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Great job documenting this issue, will help someone in the future!

Mark

Quick Reply: 2010 Cayenne Base - Control Module or CAN Bus Issue?